Cowling Repair

nemoest

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, so I recently bought a 2004 FZ6 for a good price and the trade off was that it has obviously been dropped before on the left side. I need to do a little repair work and I was wondering if anyone knows what the cowling is made out of? Or what would be best to use to use as an adhesive to stabilize the turn signal and seal a small hairline crack in the cowling.

Thanks!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Great links, I remember looking for that stuff across here and most of it was only available in the US.
Anyway I dissolved an old bit of cleaned and cut (in small cubes) ABS plastic with some MEK (not sure what the chemical name is), left for aprox 25 mins in a glass jar (obviously MEK dissolves plastic) and applied to the back of a hair -fracture with a spatula. It worked really well, just a bit of touch-up paint (on the painted side) and then polish it and it looked pretty good. I have to say the backside was a bit rough but structurally sound, and in my case it was hidden.

I have also tried sticking a piece of ABS plastic across the inside of a fracture with a heat gun (I had also seen it on the web). Luckily I only practiced as it went terribly wrong, the paint and the plastic melted (urgghh), luckily I had enough ABS to practice on first. This method is not recommended, not by me anyway.

Good luck

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Great links, I remember looking for that stuff across here and most of it was only available in the US.
Anyway I dissolved an old bit of cleaned and cut (in small cubes) ABS plastic with some MEK (not sure what the chemical name is), left for aprox 25 mins in a glass jar (obviously MEK dissolves plastic) and applied to the back of a hair -fracture with a spatula. It worked really well, just a bit of touch-up paint (on the painted side) and then polish it and it looked pretty good. I have to say the backside was a bit rough but structurally sound, and in my case it was hidden.

I have also tried sticking a piece of ABS plastic across the inside of a fracture with a heat gun (I had also seen it on the web). Luckily I only practiced as it went terribly wrong, the paint and the plastic melted (urgghh), luckily I had enough ABS to practice on first. This method is not recommended, not by me anyway.

Good luck

MEK = Methyl Ethyl Keytone smells like pear drops taste

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I popped the indicator out of my fairing (long story) so that it was still retained but loose. I found a glue in a hobby shop which was a 'super glue' with gap filling capability. In the US I think you call it 'Crazy glue.' Worked a treat on the indicator.

Also, look at replacement parts for the fairing, you might be surprised at how cheap the individual parts are.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Phil, and you definately need some kind of nose/mouth cap when working with it, and work in a well ventilated area. Cause it stinks.

I doesn't stink! It has an evocative odour; there was a factory not far from where I lived when I was a kid that used MEK for some purpose, takes me straight back to 8 years old be naughty with my mates.

I'm also sure that working with it in a confined space would be quite hallucinogenic.

deltadeejays

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, so I recently bought a 2004 FZ6 for a good price and the trade off was that it has obviously been dropped before on the left side. I need to do a little repair work and I was wondering if anyone knows what the cowling is made out of? Or what would be best to use to use as an adhesive to stabilize the turn signal and seal a small hairline crack in the cowling.

Thanks!

hi i just wanted to know do you know were i can get my hands on some new cowling, i droped mine

Last edited: