Couple of questions.(cats, and speed)

Wifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
So first off I have scorpion stainless steel slip ons and I'd like louder. Now will taking cats off the bike like it does on a car make it louder? Will I need a tune if I remove cats or can I run it without a tune?

Second question when I'm doing 80(as says on the speedo)on the interstate why does it seem like I'm not going any faster than anyone else. Now I've heard that these speedos are off so I've been trying to make up for it. But how far off are they?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So first off I have scorpion stainless steel slip ons and I'd like louder. Now will taking cats off the bike like it does on a car make it louder? Will I need a tune if I remove cats or can I run it without a tune?

Second question when I'm doing 80(as says on the speedo)on the interstate why does it seem like I'm not going any faster than anyone else. Now I've heard that these speedos are off so I've been trying to make up for it. But how far off are they?

Did you pull the DB killers out of the ends? The DB killers are short inserts in the ends of your SS mufflers.. With those removed, it should be plently loud enough for you..

As for the speedometer, with stock gearing, it reads about 7% low from the factory. A "Speedohealer" or other device can correct this.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
mine was 9% according to my gps....I have heard as low as 4%...but I would think that they would all be the same % off?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Stock speedo error is around 7%. You can change to a 17T front sprocket and your speedo will be spot on at all speeds. Better gas mileage also.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't figure out the exact percentage mine was off but was enough for me, to get it fixed so I know exactly how fast I'm actually going.. I did check mine with the GPS.

It doesn't surprise me the different %'s. My old FJR read low slightly (1 or 2 MPH at 80), not enough for me to add a Speedohealer.. The FZ was much, much worse..

Wifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
bodyparts-scorpion-street-exhausts-oval-titanium-slip-ons-yamaha-fzs600-fazer-fz6-titanium-satin.jpg

My slip ons look like this? Do these ones also have the Db killers because 90% of the time I see a different tip style of the scorpion exhaust for the fz6.

Where would I get a speedohealer or the different sprocket?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
bodyparts-scorpion-street-exhausts-oval-titanium-slip-ons-yamaha-fzs600-fazer-fz6-titanium-satin.jpg

My slip ons look like this? Do these ones also have the Db killers because 90% of the time I see a different tip style of the scorpion exhaust for the fz6.

Where would I get a speedohealer or the different sprocket?

You ave the original Scorpions which have the tips sticking out (I prefer your style but when I ordered mine, got the newer style).

If you look just inside your exhaust tips, you should see a small allan head screw (most likely on the side) with a lock washer remove the screw and pull the inner DB killer. (it is very easy to loose that small bolt so be prepared, maybe stuff a rag down the exhaust before pulling the bolt). It may take some liquid wrench, tapping with a small hammer if they've been in there awhile and carboned up. They will come out and you WILL NOW HEAR THE ENGINE..

BTW, I tried putting DB killers in mine and it was about as quiet as stock. They didn't make it to the end of the driveway before they got pulled.

As for the sprocket, any Yamaha dealer can order it or you can get it on-line: PowersportsPlus.com - OEM Powersports Parts from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha at discounts up to 80% off MSRP or do a search. I'd strongly reccommend replacing the sprocket locking nut as well

This is where I got my Speedohealer: Blue Monkey Motorsports/Cal-Sportbike ::: HealTech Electronics, Speedo Healer, Pipercross air filters, Galfer, GIPro, X-TRE, OBD Tool, FI Tuner Pro

Again, you can do a search for a better deal...

The below pic is my Scorps without the DB killers

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you take a picture of the inside of one pipe up close?

Generally,

If your bike is pretty much quiet, you have the DB killers in it.

If it screams liter bike when you hit about 8,000 RPM, people turn around and look, you don't have them in...

Wifz6

Reaction score
Visit site
It's pretty loud at 8k rpm but I never rev it that far up in town. There's definitely nothing inside of them though. I guess I'm just used to coming from the mustang where it was loud even at 2k rpm.

20120820161421.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, their open.. You can see the threaded hole to the right side that's used to hold in the DB killer (if it was installed)..

As for your original question, would taking out the cat make it louder, I would think so but don't know for certain as I still have my cat in.

Do a search if no one else responds, I'm sure its been done before..

IMHO, its quiet enough beating around town normally but when on the throttle comes to life and is quite loud enough. Knock on wood I've never been stopped on the FZ and its seen triple digits several times and been to red line as well..

Much louder and I suspect you'd be meeting your local law enforcement officer pretty quick...;)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you seeing this threaded hole I've been looking and I don't see one..

The picture angle, at least for me, isn't the best to see the hole however it appears to me, there's IS a threaded hole, ON THE RIGHT, INSIDE of the INNER pipe, maybe an inch in from the back edge...

That's exactly where mine is as well. If its not, can you take another picture, from almost the same spot, but angled outward looking at the OUTER PART (of the inner honeycomb) of the pipe... Its a pretty small hole (an 8mm headed wrench would fit the bolt if you put a hex head bolt in there)

In either case, it doesn't appear you have DB killers in, so there's nothing else to pull out. The pipes are as loud as there going to be. As you noted, pulling the cat will likely make it louder however I don't know how much louder or if you need to do anything further to keep the bike running good. I've read of some irratic, idle issues with the cat out, but can't speak of it from experiance..

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
As for your original question, would taking out the cat make it louder, I would think so but don't know for certain as I still have my cat in.

On paper, anything that eliminates the restriction of air through the system should increase the sound. On my car, putting on an SRI (inflow) and replacing the cat and back mufflers with straight pipes (outflow) did make it louder (not significant) but the tone did become significantly deeper; typically referred to as a growl.

However, some other people with more knowledge on the FZ6 will have to chime in. Often times there is an O2 sensor located just behind the cat to make sure the exhaust system is not too lean/rich, for my car I could only remove the second catalytic converter but not the first (without a full re-tune, etc.) - I'm not sure if our bikes have this. Also worth mentioning, the purpose of the cat is to remove contaminants from the exhaust before spitting it back out into the environment so you'd essentially be increasing your carbon footprint, if you care about that. A lot of cars that are produced are done so to make sure they're compliant with California's emissions, so removing a cat is almost always still compliant in the other states.

Last edited: