Corroded Coolant Pipework

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Removed my belly pan today to do a spot of degreasing and clean under there and spotted this corroded pipe. It's on the bottom right corner of the engine (as sitting on the bike), I think it is attached to hoses coming from the water pump. Needless to say I have ACF50'd it to the max.

My question is this normal or a design flaw? Should I be worried and change it ASAP?

Thanks in advance

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That pipe looks like there is a lot of layered slaggy rust where the hose is clamped to it. Note that it looks like that is the pipe that also supplied coolant to circulate through the oil cooler can on the front of your motor. In the shape it's in I would order up a new one and swap it out as it doesn't seem to be that hard of a task. This would help insure you don't have a breach and not know it when it is much more costly to you. Why does it look wet on the branch off pipe? :)

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Mines done the same.

I'm going to rub it down and spray it if there is enough metal left.

Thanks for the idea, I never even considered that. I'm planning a coolant change in the winter lay-up so might as well give it a bash at the same time.

They must salt the roads a lot in the UK in the winter!

Hell yes! Especially in West Scotland lol

That pipe looks like there is a lot of layered slaggy rust where the hose is clamped to it. Note that it looks like that is the pipe that also supplied coolant to circulate through the oil cooler can on the front of your motor. In the shape it's in I would order up a new one and swap it out as it doesn't seem to be that hard of a task. This would help insure you don't have a breach and not know it when it is much more costly to you. Why does it look wet on the branch off pipe? :)

Thanks for the advice on the mystery pipe lol
As ADAM FZ has mentioned about rubbing down and spraying I might try this first and replace it if it is past saving. I'll have the time to decide during winter.
Reason why it looks wet is because I had just washed off the degreaser with the hose, don't worry it's not leaking lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides replacing it, I'd give the new one a couple of coats of engine (heat) paint. That should extend the life of it several years. :thumbup:

BTW, that upper hose (the first picture), where the upper clamp goes, appears to have numerous layers of rust.

IMHO, I don't think I'd be waiting until winter, your fixin to get stranded...

Last edited:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Besides replacing it, I'd give the new one a couple of coats of engine (heat) paint. That should extend the life of it several years. :thumbup:

BTW, that upper hose (the first picture), where the upper clamp goes, appears to have numerous layers of rust.

IMHO, I don't think I'd be waiting until winter, your fixin to get stranded...

I was thinking that would be best, to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to the new replacement part

I see what you mean about the layers.................maybe one sunny afternoon lol