Cooking / baking thread!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks amazing, Martin! The only thing I like better than fish is mushrooms! :thumbup: .. combine both and it's THE perfect dish!

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks amazing, Martin! The only thing I like better than fish is mushrooms! :thumbup: .. combine both and it's THE perfect dish!

I completely agree. I have been on a huge smoked salmon and caper binge the bast couple of weeks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Gah! I keep forgetting about this thread every time I cook. I made easy BBQ ribs last week with mashed potatoes and peas

IMG_0288.JPG

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
With a little help, I'm going to make some chicken, and sausage gumbo. This is the before shot.:rockon:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm making Ox tail soup, I really like the traditional cuts of meat but recently Offal has become very chic.
A few years ago Ox tail would have been given away. Any way it was on special today, and the weather is now quite cold and you can't beat a good old stew.

So you will need:

1 Onion roughly chopped
3 Carrots peeled and cut into large rounds.
1 large old potato roughly chopped.
2 stock cubes
2 litres of water
1 large pan and a slow cooker.
Salt & pepper to taste.
1 can chopped tomatoes.
A) Seal the Ox tail in the large pan with some oil over a moderate heat.
B) Add the onion and carrot and sweat them down for approx 10 minutes. It's okay to let the onion caramelize as this adds to the deep colour.
esuqedaj.jpg

C) Add the chopped tomatoes.

D) Cover with water and bring to a simmer.

E) Skim the scum off the top, don't allow it to roll back into the stew as it will make the stew cloudy and grainy to taste.
edu5ynun.jpg

F) Transfer the stew into your pre-warmed slow cooker on the low settings. Add the old potato, this will cook down and give the stew some starchy body. You can also use pre-soaked pulses.

buve6u5y.jpg

D) Have a beer and go to bed.
This recipe is only a base you can add anything you wish. I have kept the taste quite simple as I will be introducing the kids to it tomorrow.

To be continued once cooking finished tomorrow...

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ok base cooked over night in slow cooker 9 hours. I walked into the kitchen and smelt a lovely beefy stock wafting in the air.

Part t II.

E) Remove Ox tail from the stock and seperate meat from bones.

e6ybyver.jpg

he3asuge.jpg

Put the meat into a container and pop a lid on it to retain moisture.

F) Transfer stock into a large thick bottom pan, catching the last small pices of bone,
dujy7e2u.jpg

and reduce on a good heat by 2/3 you think it won't thicken but be patient. Skim the scum off the top to keep the stock nice and glossy.

zydumyda.jpg

G) Whilst stock is reducing time to prep some carrots and potatoes.
I made a small uniformed dice (nice to use the old knife skills)

tabyge3a.jpg

H) Once stock is reduced and at the point of thickening to a sauce consistency add the carrot first and simmer for 4 minutes then add the potatoes and simmer until potatoes are cooked al dente (with a bite).
Incidentally to classically test for a sauce consistency, dip your tasting spoon into the sauce and turn the spoon over so the bowl of the spoon faces away from you. run a finger through the sauce and watch as the liquid comes together there should be a few seconds of separation before the sauce recoats the back of the spoon.

I) Serve in deep bowls with bread, I added some peas as the kids love them.

guga6eba.jpg

a6u9a9u4.jpg

Finally tell the kids dinner is ready, remembering to give a suitably vague response when asked what is it?

esu2u6ed.jpg

Enjoy making the effort to cook something you haven't done in a while and be thankful they all enjoyed it.
The beauty of this dish is that there are no processed ingredients, additives or preservatives.
Like many dishes of this nature it will taste even better tomorrow.

Nelly

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Genovese Beef and Onion Ragu with Rigatoni.

Been anxious for the weekend to try this recipe from Cook's Illustrated. It's an old Italian recipe from times of poverty, before Columbus and his cronies brought tomatoes back from the New World. It uses 1.25 lbs beef but 2.5 lbs of onions! :eek: There's some science involved with this recipe; onions give off something called propanethial-S-oxide, which has sulfur in it (and mixes with the moisture in your eyes to form sulfuric acid, now you know). If its heated above 300 degrees (as in sauteed) it forms other compounds, turns brown, and sweet. But, if it is mixed with water at the boiling point, it forms 3-mercapto-2-methyl-pentan-1-ol (MMP for short). This particular compound takes like… beef broth! The water is necessary, when they tried making this without any water (depending only on the onion's moisture) the dish was actually less savory. It also has 2 oz each of pancetta and salami, carrot and celery, tomato paste, white wine, marjoram and Romano cheese.

The house smells great as it simmers in the oven.

EDIT: okay, I've had it over pasta now. Didn't take a pic as its an uninteresting brown/grey, and it didn't taste near as good as it smelled cooking. They can't all be diamonds, I guess. :rolleyes:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Been anxious for the weekend to try this recipe from Cook's Illustrated. It's an old Italian recipe from times of poverty, before Columbus and his cronies brought tomatoes back from the New World. It uses 1.25 lbs beef but 2.5 lbs of onions! :eek: There's some science involved with this recipe; onions give off something called propanethial-S-oxide, which has sulfur in it (and mixes with the moisture in your eyes to form sulfuric acid, now you know). If its heated above 300 degrees (as in sauteed) it forms other compounds, turns brown, and sweet. But, if it is mixed with water at the boiling point, it forms 3-mercapto-2-methyl-pentan-1-ol (MMP for short). This particular compound takes like… beef broth! The water is necessary, when they tried making this without any water (depending only on the onion's moisture) the dish was actually less savory. It also has 2 oz each of pancetta and salami, carrot and celery, tomato paste, white wine, marjoram and Romano cheese.

EDIT: okay, I've had it over pasta now. Didn't take a pic as its an uninteresting brown/grey, and it didn't taste near as good as it smelled cooking. They can't all be diamonds, I guess. :rolleyes:
I guess poverty sucks no matter how it's served up?

Nelly

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site

Photos or smell cam next time.:cheer:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I love gumbo, looking forward to the after shot :drool:

You had to get the knife in the shot now didn't you ;)

We never eat the first day. It's best on day two, after it has thickened up in the frig over night.:cheer:

I'll have photos this afternoon.:thumbup:

Yes, I do love my knife and cutting board. :cheer: It's great what a nice knife set can do for your cook prep. It makes cooking so much fun.:rockon: