Contemplating getting a FZ6 2005, worth it?

guicansado

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I just sold my old bike and was contemplating getting a FZ6 that popped up on craigslist. Its a 2005 with 10,xxx miles and looks to be pretty intact. Its garaged and has a tiny scratch from 'falling on the grass. The guy wants $2900, and said he won't negotiate. Although I feel like money talks when push comes to shove. It needs a new rear tire and If I get it I will do oil change and filter + brakes anyways. I would be glad to pay in the range of $2200 - 2500. Am I being unreasonable? I'm just worrying that If I pay 2900 and something goes wrong within a year I won't be able to recoup even $2000 (2004 low retail is about $2000 around my area)

Any opinions will be GREATLY appreciated for this FZ6 newbie :)

Thanks

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I just sold my old bike and was contemplating getting a FZ6 that popped up on craigslist. Its a 2005 with 10,xxx miles and looks to be pretty intact. Its garaged and has a tiny scratch from 'falling on the grass. The guy wants $2900, and said he won't negotiate. Although I feel like money talks when push comes to shove. It needs a new rear tire and If I get it I will do oil change and filter + brakes anyways. I would be glad to pay in the range of $2200 - 2500. Am I being unreasonable? I'm just worrying that If I pay 2900 and something goes wrong within a year I won't be able to recoup even $2000 (2004 low retail is about $2000 around my area)

Any opinions will be GREATLY appreciated for this FZ6 newbie :)

Thanks

Seems fair. People don't understand that any vehicle purchase is a losing endeavor unless you low-ball the hell out of the previous owner. (or win an ebay auction with no reserve like I did). For a rear tire, oil & filter and brakes you are getting close to $300. I would at least knock him down on that price regardless of if he wants to negotiate. Show up with cash in hand to check out the bike and if he doesn't want to budge, leave your number and tell him you'll call back in 2 weeks. Let him sweat (getting read for that FL summer). And he'll call you in a week. If not, then there are a ton of bikes out there, and it is still enough time before riding season to catch a deal.

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry but a 2nd hand sale always has to be open to negotiations, if he won't then walk away. Make sure its had the TPS recall done and the front sprocket nut replaced under warranty.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I can't agree with the idea that 2nd hand sales always have to be open to negotiation. I've set great prices on things and am closed to negotiations. I think a seller can do as they please.

Seems like an ok price for the miles.

I think the thing to do is to understand what your limit is on price to pay. Once you figure that out, submit your offer to him and let him know that that is your limit. Perhaps he will bite, if not, you now know the price range that you are looking in anyway.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my '08 with 14,000 last spring for $3,900...

When you think of all you get with the FZ6, (even 2005) $2,900 really isn't that bad of an asking price.

Not many other EFI bikes are in that range at all..

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
To paraphrase what someone said when I posed a similar question on the S3 forum... Is that little bit of change going to matter when you're zipping along in the twisties this summer? Are you going to think about those few hundred dollars when you start it up and gear up for a ride? No, you're going to be happy you have two wheels.

That being said, it seems like a decent price. Do what the others have said, lowball him with cash in hand. If he's won't budge, you'll find another bike. There are always other bikes.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally I can't agree with the idea that 2nd hand sales always have to be open to negotiation. I've set great prices on things and am closed to negotiations. I think a seller can do as they please.

Seems like an ok price for the miles.

I think the thing to do is to understand what your limit is on price to pay. Once you figure that out, submit your offer to him and let him know that that is your limit. Perhaps he will bite, if not, you now know the price range that you are looking in anyway.

You may be fair in setting your prices, but many people set a price based on emotion and not relevant factual information. The worst are motorcycle dealership. They constantly put the price at hundreds if not thousand over the KBB or NADA. What I feel the difference in a private party sale versus a dealer sale is the dealer has a reputation on the line. If you have an issue right away even though the sale contract for the purchase is "as is", you can often get them to fix it up. They would rather maintain a relationship than worry about a headache or dealing with the State AG for complaints, especially if they sell a bike that is a potential safety issue.

So for some of the more anal-retentive members of the forum community that would have a really well taken care of bike I'd see no problem giving them what they ask for it. Of course after reading all their posts to see if they had issues. But, for a lot of people they don't take care of their stuff. The classic is the guy that lets his bike sit in the garage for years. Everyone knows the tires go bad, the fluids go bad, the battery goes bad, the gas tank can rust, the fuel lines are clogged, the fuel pump is clogged, etc. I talked with the parts guy at my Yamaha store for about 30 minutes about the number of things that can go wrong due to a bike being stored improperly and picking it up used, you could be in for up to $2-3000 in repair costs out the gate. There are so many potential issues that a bike with really low miles that's been probably sitting and cleaned up can still turn into a nightmare. Look at FzSixx. He already had to replace the radiator fan when the bike had really low miles. I think knocking someone down on the price to allow for any of those future repairs is fair.

guicansado

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems fair. People don't understand that any vehicle purchase is a losing endeavor unless you low-ball the hell out of the previous owner. (or win an ebay auction with no reserve like I did). For a rear tire, oil & filter and brakes you are getting close to $300. I would at least knock him down on that price regardless of if he wants to negotiate. Show up with cash in hand to check out the bike and if he doesn't want to budge, leave your number and tell him you'll call back in 2 weeks. Let him sweat (getting read for that FL summer). And he'll call you in a week. If not, then there are a ton of bikes out there, and it is still enough time before riding season to catch a deal.

I might just try that, he lives about an hour and a half away, so I have to plan a trip with the expectation that he will negotiate down. Oh well, it will be enjoyable anyways to get out of town.

Sorry but a 2nd hand sale always has to be open to negotiations, if he won't then walk away. Make sure its had the TPS recall done and the front sprocket nut replaced under warranty.

Just asked him, waiting for a response.

I also found a blue 2007 about 2 hours away with 5k miles where the guy is asking $4200 . I asked if he will take $3000 cash and was told to contact him in a few weeks to see if the bike has sold.

So who knows, its such a gamble. I can wait two weeks in the hopes of this newer one accepting 3k for the 2007, or possibly lose them both if he doesn't accept and someone buys up the 2005.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
just adding .02. I would pay 3,500 for the 2007 before I would part with 2,900 for the 2005. They added quite a few upgrades in 2007 model year.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
just adding .02. I would pay 3,500 for the 2007 before I would part with 2,900 for the 2005. They added quite a few upgrades in 2007 model year.

+1 on that - being an 05 owner myself I'd totally go for the 07 for the not very much extra...

guicansado

Reaction score
Visit site

Thats what I was thinking. I just got back from talking with the 2005, and it hasn't had the TPS recall done or the front sprocket replaced. I don't know the probability of that being a problem in the future. I am still hoping the 2007 guy will let me know before I contact him in a few weeks :cheer:

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats what I was thinking. I just got back from talking with the 2005, and it hasn't had the TPS recall done or the front sprocket replaced. I don't know the probability of that being a problem in the future. I am still hoping the 2007 guy will let me know before I contact him in a few weeks :cheer:

I'd say screw it to that '05. The guy obviously wasn't on top of things for missing those recalls and he wants top dollar like he has a gem or something.

I would offer the '07 guy $3500 cash at the end of the week, final offer. He did say he's willing to wait 2 weeks which means he is in no rush to sell. But, again after he probably won't get much action on an '07 for $4300, I'm willing to bet he's willing to get it gone. For reference I got my '08 for 3750 delivered to my door from a dealer in MD off ebay with only 7009 miles on it. It was steam cleaned prior to being sent so it was immaculate.

As you've already figured out, there are deals to be had all over if you've got cash on hand and are willing to wait. Also if you've been following it, you'll see that there are a lot bikes that have been sitting at dealerships for awhile, and they lose more and more money every day they sit.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I paid $5000 out the door on an 08 2 years ago from a dealer. Totally cleaned and had all the fluids changed before I picked it up.

The US 07+ bikes are nice. They're pretty darn close to keeping up with an R6. Not quite tho, and a lot milder on the bottom end. So depending on what bikes are going for in your area, I'd go as high as $3750 personally. Course, some areas up north are much cheaper on bikes so adjust accordingly. Down here with 300+ good riding days a year, they go on the high side.

guicansado

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say screw it to that '05. The guy obviously wasn't on top of things for missing those recalls and he wants top dollar like he has a gem or something.

I would offer the '07 guy $3500 cash at the end of the week, final offer. He did say he's willing to wait 2 weeks which means he is in no rush to sell. But, again after he probably won't get much action on an '07 for $4300, I'm willing to bet he's willing to get it gone. For reference I got my '08 for 3750 delivered to my door from a dealer in MD off ebay with only 7009 miles on it. It was steam cleaned prior to being sent so it was immaculate.

As you've already figured out, there are deals to be had all over if you've got cash on hand and are willing to wait. Also if you've been following it, you'll see that there are a lot bikes that have been sitting at dealerships for awhile, and they lose more and more money every day they sit.

wow you are right! There are better deals popping up everywhere!! Just saw another local ad get posted: Blue 2006 Yamaha fz6. Excellent condition. 7833 miles asking $3250. Now I would rather get the 2007 depending on the deal I can get, but I since you mentioned ebay, there is an 09' i'm eyeing that is ending tomorrow.

Any known bad things about the 06? I have it down to the 06, the 07, and the ebay 09. Thanks a bunch! You guys are awesome help!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
wow you are right! There are better deals popping up everywhere!! Just saw another local ad get posted: Blue 2006 Yamaha fz6. Excellent condition. 7833 miles asking $3250. Now I would rather get the 2007 depending on the deal I can get, but I since you mentioned ebay, there is an 09' i'm eyeing that is ending tomorrow.

Any known bad things about the 06? I have it down to the 06, the 07, and the ebay 09. Thanks a bunch! You guys are awesome help!

From what I can gather there was some issue with the throttle or the fuel mapping of something with the 2004-2006 Fz6's making them all kinds of twitchy. I would buy a '07 or newer (plus they had the black engines which are sexier) because of the throttle issue, and you saw from the other poster with an '05 and he said he'd get an '07.

I had an '08 and still thought it was twitchy until I adjusted the throttle free play. I was all set to do the throttle body sync to help even more but unfortunately I crashed the bike. I just did the throttle body sync on my Fz1 and it made the hugest difference in smoothing out the throttle in the lower rpms. Like giggle when pulling away slowly from a light at how smooth it is.

I guess that would be another piece of advice. When you pick your bike make sure to keep 100-450 bucks around for doing a complete fluid change and some tires maybe a battery.

guicansado

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I can gather there was some issue with the throttle or the fuel mapping of something with the 2004-2006 Fz6's making them all kinds of twitchy. I would buy a '07 or newer (plus they had the black engines which are sexier) because of the throttle issue, and you saw from the other poster with an '05 and he said he'd get an '07.

I had an '08 and still thought it was twitchy until I adjusted the throttle free play. I was all set to do the throttle body sync to help even more but unfortunately I crashed the bike. I just did the throttle body sync on my Fz1 and it made the hugest difference in smoothing out the throttle in the lower rpms. Like giggle when pulling away slowly from a light at how smooth it is.

I guess that would be another piece of advice. When you pick your bike make sure to keep 100-450 bucks around for doing a complete fluid change and some tires maybe a battery.

After looking at the pictures from the 06, I saw some aftermarket parts and after inquiring, the rear blinkers were integrated into the lights, and the OEM plates mount is gone. According to the guy, the previous owner made these mods. I always stray away from the "previous owner did this this and that" sales. I really would like to get that 2007 or possibly 2009 from eBay. I will offer the 2007 guy about 3500 in the end of the week and i'll keep you guys posted.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the pictures from the 06, I saw some aftermarket parts and after inquiring, the rear blinkers were integrated into the lights, and the OEM plates mount is gone. According to the guy, the previous owner made these mods. I always stray away from the "previous owner did this this and that" sales. I really would like to get that 2007 or possibly 2009 from eBay. I will offer the 2007 guy about 3500 in the end of the week and i'll keep you guys posted.

Good luck. I was looking for about 3 months before I won my first bike on ebay to get the great price I did.