Consumer Reports U.S. Motorcycle Rider Survey

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
A survey of Consumer Reports motorcycle riders finds pathetic use of basic safety equipment in the U.S.

More...

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that is a shocking truth about the numbers and what people wear. I've seen the guys with shorts, t shirt, and sandels... but I didn't know it was like that.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Not surprising results. I see more people undergeared now that it's hot/humid. I cringe at the thought of going down in shorts and a t-shirt.

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't even read my Consumer Reports survey this year. It went right into the trash can. I wish I had responded.

I am not trying to pick on anyone but my guess is that many of the respondents are Harley riders. Really, how many under 30 actually read CR? As I ride or drive around here in SoCal, I am truly suprised by the amount of cruiser or touring(Gold Wing) riders have short sleeved shirts, half helmets, and maybe or maybe not some gloves..etc. Somehow, it seems, they seem protected or secure that they will not be involved in an accident.

So much for my bias's

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
These reports of all motorcyclists are not that useful to me.

There is so much difference between cruiser riders, Harley riders, and sportbike riders.

I think Harley cruiser riders should be singled out in surveys because I suspect that they are trained (via marketing) to not wear much because it looks cool and badas*.

Cruiser riders (Harley included) tend to not wear much -- maybe because they tend to be older and have less time to live :confused:. Maybe because they figure they don't ride like sportbike riders (who tend to love speed and cornering) that they don't need the extra protection.

Sportbike riders (I'm guessing) are a different crowd too.

To lump them into one big report doesn't seem to make sense -- maybe it did 20-30 years ago.

Just my humble opinion.

Dennis

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back to working at a tourist attraction again. It's amazing to me how few riders that I see daily that don't wear any protection save their helmet. You can count on most if not all of the sportbike riders that do visit to have on a jacket. A handful will have pants on.

Some of my younger coworkers asked me the other day as I geared up to leave work if "all that stuff is really necessary?" I told 'em to look up some videos of guys wash their road rash with a brush in the bathtub. I think I made my point.

And Hellgate's (I think I remember right) story about having gravel still occasionally work its way to the surface of the skin from an accident years ago helps too. :)

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I amazes me how the crash doesn't occur to people. You wear ATGATT for the CRASH! Not to look good or feel comfortable... It's just mind boggling. It would be like a nurse not wearing rubber gloves when doing an invasive procedure because they 'look bad' or 'feel uncomfortable'. Gear is for the crash, because you WILL crash eventually.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Living 5 min from Philly and PA not having a helmet law, the news has 1-2 deaths a month reported because someone died since they had no helmet on. When I ride in Philly I stay away from helmet-less riders since they are mentally unstable to not wear one. I don't shed one tear or sympathize for a rider whom has died because they decided to not wear a helmet. It is insanity in my opinion and I tell riders whom I meet that don't wear helmets that they are mentally challenged. Usually they agree with me. Let them do what they want but to me there should be a federal helmet law. Force us to have airbags, wear seatbelts etc. but hey oh well no helmet and you get hurt for the rest of your life and we (fed.) don't care. Wear a helmet you dumbasses!!

Last edited:

pacadermng67

Reaction score
Visit site
To me, it seems like there are all sorts of riders that don't wear protective gear. It seems to me that there are two different categories however. It seems like a lot of guys not wearing protective clothing on sportbikes do it because its "cool". I think the same can be said of Harley riders as well. However, I also think there is a difference in how the two different types of riders ride their bikes. I think Harley riders tend to be a little more conservative while the essentially bareclothed sportbike riders like to be a little more aggressive.

To me its better safe then sorry. You never know when there will be a gravel of pile around the next turn.