Considering FZ6 Repaint. Need advice

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
As I removed the JR Manta tankbag last spring to get gas what emerges is several deep vertical scratches as I unwittingly dragged the errant magnet across the tank.

Horrifying you say? I almost grinned. Because I have been pining to get back into painting for at least a few years. I thought this would be an excellent winter project. I might actually get started early so to take advantage of temperatures in the range of 60 to 70F.

Then I saw the price of colorite paint! fricken @#!FW rip off!!

Been looking around at basecoat/clearcoat systems.

-> The ask here is if anyone can recommend a good quality paint. there are quite a few to choose from and some overpriced brands such as Dupont.

Would appreciate any advice on how to approach it. I have the equipment and a big garage just need some pointers on how to get started.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All I can say is that you need a hardened enamel which is very likely going to be catalyzed product or a two part system meaning a hardener is added to the product.
To match the OEM one would likely go with a base coat clear coat where the base has metallic i.e. Color and Hardener & Clear and Hardener, as anything less will be too soft. Although hard will scratch, soft will peel from a gas spill.

Plus it has to survive on the interior of the tanks lid where it can stay damp for extended periods.

Although you can use a single stage where the paints color is the top coat, these typically don't shine as well as base coat clear coat. It all depends what you want. The single stage items like the old IMRON are tough as nails but not always so shinny.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. It's definately going to be basecoat/clearcoat catalysed system.

I am ditching the factory color in favor of a much darker blue.

Right now I am checking out House of Kolor branded products.

Probably the best part about basecoat/clearcoat systems is the ability to fix mistakes with sanding between coats. I shot single stage enamel years ago.. very ambitious to do a whole car and have it turn out well. with the bike being such a relatively small amount to paint I can obsess over details better.. looking forward to this project.