Considering a SS replacement :)

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, it's been a long time since I last visited :ban: I had no bike for the last year. The 'therapy' was not really successful and I am now considering buying a new toy :D My first bike was the FZ-6 which I loved. However, I am now considering a SS bike. I know is a lot more fun in the twisties, but I have never ridden an SS on long journeys.

So, how do you feel about going towards the SS way? Is it annoyingly uncomfortable for day trips or is it 'ok'? Thanks :thumbup:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
hahah I told you you'd look like your Avatar after awhile. :D

I dunno about comfort, only real comparison I have is the FZ6. I ride the FZ6 like it's a SS, tucked in with FZ1 Bars and Oso2k's rearset plates. I've done over 1300m in 24hrs on it without feeling too sore. Several 400m day trips too.

If you're goin with a SS and sticking to a 600cc the new Kawa ZX-6R is getting all kinds of thumbs up. Beat out the CBR and R6 in the shootout this year. The new Showa Big Piston inverted forks are supposed to rock. I'm still not totally sold on the looks though.

Last edited:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, I was actualy laughing with that post earlier today. :D I am more than likely going towards yamaha or honda, so I can sell easier when the time comes (yamaha bikes really keep their value locally). I am not sure yet if I am going for a 600 or a 1000.

From what people say, the 600s keep getting better and better in the midrange. If that's true, I am willing to forget the 1000s. Anyhow, I think I do have a few months before I decide.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride as many as you can. Some SS ergos may work well for you on long trips, but the only way to tell is to ride it.
I rode my buddy's R6 and found it very uncomfortable. I also rode a Speed Triple and found it to be very comfy and extremely sporty.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
I started out on an R6... moved to the FZ6 for comfort and it's a huge difference. Riding an hour or more on the R6 (highway, not twisties) was difficult; hands fell asleep, butt hurt, had to keep adjusting. Once I got to the twisties, the constant shifting during turns made riding enjoyable again.

Like others have said, ride them before you buy them. If you can't ride, at least sit on one like you would on the road and try to think how it'd feel like that for an hour or more.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on what you mean by "day trips"... if you're talking about 800 miles on the interstate I'd say you'll be uncomfortable very quickly :) But if most of your day trips consist of 300-400 miles in the twisties, you'll be perfectly fine imo. You'll feel your upper body a bit more compared to the FZ6 after a long day, but it's worth it :D

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies :) I rarely ride for more than an hour in the highway. Mostly twisties and a around 1-2 hours before coffee breaks.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Honda_CBR600RR_2008_03_1024x768.jpg

I am probably picking this up TOMORROW :BLAA:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Sorry for the quality but I couldn't stay off the saddle for long enough to take decent pics :BLAA: Now I am going to rest my old bones that really hurt after a good ride on the CBR :eek:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
My upper body hurts :rolleyes: The riding position is a bit painful when compared to the FZ6 (I was warned about this so this is the last time I complain :D). Everything else is on a different level. Brakes (at least compared to my 06 fz), steering etc. Engine pull is NICE. I feel that it doesn't have the Yamaha sudden change in power that makes you smile, but it has more of it everywhere. I only attempted WOT on the motorway, 2nd gear. This thing has legs :) ...

After a year off the saddle I feel that I am a first timer again. Everything is different. Even the typical mirror check or shoulder check is a different thing on the cbr. But I think that after a month or two of riding I will love this thing. I'll probably take it for a small trip today and see how it's like in the twisties.