CONFIRMED! FZ6R-->FZ6 front fender swap

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Those of us that have been around here a while remember these conversations. After the FZ6R was released, the members that have a '04-'06 model FZ6 noticed that the front fender on the FZ6R looks a whole lot like the stock fender on the FZ6. Almost all (if not all) FZ6's from those model years came with a plain black front fender, and if you had a blue or red version, it kinda threw off the overall look of the bike. The fact that the FZ6R came with a color matched fender (red or blue) meant that, theoretically at least, you could just swap in the (in my case) blue FZ6R fender.

To my knowledge, no other member has done this mod.

Well, after another member (with a '05 FZ6) was looking for a black fender, I decided it was time for me to take the plunge and give this mod a go. I sold him my black front fender off my '06 and ordered the '09 FZ6R fender from Ron Ayers. Nearly 3 weeks later, it arrived this morning and I'm happy to report, IT WORKS! It is, in fact, the exact same fender Yamaha used on the early model years of the FZ6, only color matched.

Forgive the crappy iPhone pics (and how dirty the bike is). But I'm pretty darn excited! Finally, after 4 years, I've got a blue front fender! :rockon:

Interesting enough, the fender arrived in a Honda box...lol:

37334e36.jpg

It came nicely wrapped and protected:

d5212d82.jpg

Open it up and there's the shiny new blue fender!

442324ae.jpg

The fender installed (the bike is currently sitting at my shop, waiting to go to Deal's Gap this Friday):

7113404a.jpg

A little closer look. I do need to order the brake line holder that goes on the top rear of the fender (I didn't realize it wouldn't be on it already), but other than that, it's good to go:

1b4fd909.jpg

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
bike dirty? looks alright to me! now i shall wait for someone to try fitting fz6r front headlight fairing onto the fz6.. :)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good from the pics. Any paint fade differences? Nice work! :thumbup:

wolfe, I can't discern any difference in color. When I first put it on, it looked much brighter than the tank and bellypan and I was a little concerned. Then I realized it was because it was brand new and clean, while the tank and bellypan are pretty darn dirty (and will get a cleaning before leaving for the Gap!) I ordered the '09 Deep Purplish Blue Metallic color FZ6R fender (about $75 shipped from Ron Ayers), and it's exactly the same color as my '06 DPBM. :thumbup:

Wow, looks great! So you are saying that I could have a shift red front fender? Nice!!

Yep! I believe the '09 FZ6R red is the same as the '06 FZ6 red, so you'd just have to order that fender and you'd be all set.

Of note...you'll need the rubber grommits (with the metal inserts), nuts and bolts, and the brake line holder on the top rear of your stock fender if you don't order them with the new fender. I didn't realize I needed that brake line holder and I sent mine off with the stock fender, so I've got a small hole on the new fender where it will attach. Eventually, I'll order that little piece just to finish things off.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
You Da Man CC!!

I had been considering doing this for the past year. Thanks for taking the risk out of this mod.

One question though, that piece in the rear of the fender that attaches to the brake line? Doesn't the stock fender have one? Thinking it would just swap right out.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
You Da Man CC!!

I had been considering doing this for the past year. Thanks for taking the risk out of this mod.

One question though, that piece in the rear of the fender that attaches to the brake line? Doesn't the stock fender have one? Thinking it would just swap right out.

Thanks, FB400! We debated endlessly a couple of years ago if the FZ6R fender was the same and most of us agreed it was. I looked at the schematics for both bikes side by side and even took some pictures of a blue FZ6R that I came across in the parking lot at Target last summer...lol. Sure enough, it's the same piece.

And yes, the stock fender does have it, but I sold my stock fender to another member that needed to replace his cracked one. I removed all the rubber grommits from it, but the little brake line bracket just slipped my mind (I didn't think about it until after I'd already mailed it off to the member). Sure enough, when I opened the box today and took the fender out, it didn't have the bracket. I'm not complaining as I knew it probably wouldn't, but I guess when Yamaha labels each and every part on those schematics, they really mean it! :D

So, yeah...if you've got your stock fender, that little bracket should just pop right off and transfer right over to the new fender. For that small of a piece, I'll probably just hit the dealer and have the order it in (no shipping charges).

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For whoever is doing this, I'm looking for a replacement black 04-06 fender. :D

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
so do you have the r6 fork mod?
will this work with r6 forks?
that would be great, since re-attaching the fender is the hardest thing about that mod.

Nightster6

Ready to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
can you post the link for the item on ron ayers? looking at the models and it has about 12 different model codes on there lol i gotta have one one for my red 06 and $75 is a steal

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
so do you have the r6 fork mod?
will this work with r6 forks?
that would be great, since re-attaching the fender is the hardest thing about that mod.

Yep, I've got the R6 forks. It works perfectly with them (and the fender mounting tabs that you need to do the R6 fork mod). I just unscrewed the old fender and bolted the new one on. Easy as pie!

can you post the link for the item on ron ayers? looking at the models and it has about 12 different model codes on there lol i gotta have one one for my red 06 and $75 is a steal

I know what you mean. I actually emailed Ron Ayers to make sure I had the correct part # for the '09 blue FZ6R fender (they responded within 24 hours...great service!)

I believe the part # for the '09 red is 5VX-21511-A0-P1, but I'd call your local dealer and confirm that first. The "P1" is the only thing that changes in the number when the color changes. For example, my blue fender was 5VX-21511-A0-P2.

Ron Ayers: Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2009>FZ6RYY/FZ6RYCY/FZ6RYCW/FZ6RYW>FENDER

Part Shark: PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket.

PartShark.com - Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, UTV Parts, PWC Parts, Powersports Apparel, Motorcycle Accessories for OEM and Aftermarket. has it listed for $66.08. I can't find the color match for my 06 shift red! I guess I'll just have to keep the black fender!

Check out the part # above (the one ending in P1). If you email Ron Ayers, they'll let you know exactly which one you need. :thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wierd aint how they change colours around the world with the same bike.
My blue '05 came with a blue fender...........but my red '06 came with a black one :confused:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to know the process behind how a company like Yamaha decides which color schemes go to which markets. Just from the comments above, you can see a huge disparity.

Think about how long those of us in the US waited for a black model...lol. They were putting out a black FZ6 overseas pretty early in the first-gen run. Then there's the elusive white...and the fact that Kazza has the exact bike I would have if it were offered here...a white FZ6N. Mmm, mmm, mmm. :thumbup:

IIRC, they've also done a yellow bike overseas and maybe even some with graphics packages on the tank and side pods (or maybe that was just an owner-completed mod).

But it is weird how they seem to change things up from one market to another with no discernible reason.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very true Corey ,another difference was my blue '05 had blue inner fairings but my red '06 has black ones !

Also my passenger grab handles and tail piece were blue ..........on the '06,black.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just odd, Oz. It sounds like they normalized things a bit in the '06 model year, as mine also had the black inner panels, grab handles, and tail piece. But in the '04 and '05 models, with those two similar but different blues (Galaxy and something else) it's like the Wild West...lol. Different fender here, different tail section there...it's enough to make your head spin! :D