Comfort level

H

HavBlue

Started in the dirt and still spend a lot of time there. The open desert is still my favorite but a bit far away now so trails in the woods are the new thing sorta as Sequoia and Big Bear were great for that too. Like so many have said it boils down to practice and saddle time. As your journey continues you will become more and more confident. Just don't bite off too much at once.

Rookie08FZ6

Rookie
Reaction score
Visit site
I started out pretty much the same way. Picked up my FZ6 after completing my MSF course. I was definitely nervous to begin with and so used to take it out late at night, knowing there wont be much traffic. I did this for almost 3 weeks, before feeling comfortable enough to ride during the day and then I stalled :). I am still iffy hitting the curves so I pretty much stay on the streets.

Epic Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear I'm not the only n00b to struggle with getting the hang of things. I just got back moments ago from another practice run and did much better. I went up and down the street several times just practicing starting and stopping. I know it's just a matter of figuring out the friction zone and it's coming along. Time permitting, I'll probably head over to the big parking lot tomorrow for a couple of hours. Thanks again for all the feedback.

Ed

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My advise, ride everyday and it will come naturally. Long lay offs are not good. Being in Phoenix, where the weather is always favorable for riding, even though it gets a bit toasty during the summer, you should be able to ride everyday. I do here in Vegas. Like some other members have said, don't get too comfortable and relax. That goes for the roads that you may travel on a daily basis. Don't assume that it's just going to be a normal ride down that same road and route, because one day, you will find it's NOT!

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Me and my boy finished course together and brought new FZ6 from USA together. He is riding much more than I do. Last 5-7 days we have bad weather in Toronto so bike is in garage.

I had bike for 3 years when I was young and for one year 4 years ago. My wife made me sell Ninja 500 after one season only complaining that it is too dangerous to ride around. She is quite right. Every time when I am on bike some idiot cuts me off or people stop when they shouldn't or cut across the lanes like they are alone in the world and roads are just for them. On the first ride my son was in front of me in car and as soon as we stopped he said " Unbelievable, in last 15 minutes at least 3 cars cut in front of you like you don't exist at all!"

That is exactly situation on the road. So I am doing my own thing driving slow and let people rush around me. I am trying to predict idiots in traffic and I guess that is answer to keep it safe. My biggest problem is to teach that kind of defensive driving my son who is only 19.
You should do same thing, just drive around at your own pace, start braking earlier than you would being in the car and avoid any risky situations. After you are over basic driving techniques you will feel much more comfortable and enjoy rides.

shefz6er

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Epic Ed,
I'll add my 2 cents.
Got my moto learners permit at 39 (I have dirt experience from my younger days), bought a 15 yr old Virago to learn on. A couple of months later took the MSF course and tested IN THE RAIN! I passed! After 1 season on the Virago I was ready for my real bike and got my FZ6, which I LOVE!
All the suggestions are great, start slow and stay in your comfort level. I find I get more comfortable every day, but the turning point was about 1K mi. Find some good, experienced people to ride with that will give you pointers.
This is my 3rd season on the street (2000 mi and counting) and I ride to work (I have to get on a divided highway to cross a river!) every day that the weather looks clear.
Great choice for a bike and Good luck!

ToddB5150

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Ed,

Generaly, Your comfort level growth will be determined by where, and how often you ride. Riding down the twisty's on the weekends is a completely different experience than commuting to work along side the Crazies driving cars.. You need to diversify your experience by riding in as many different enviroments as possible in order to increase your comfort level. Back to the commuting thing. I have found throught my experience over the years, that riding during the commute hours are the most dangerous times for a rider.
Drivers tend to be in a mental mode that lessons the chance for them to see you or flat our care about running into you.. !

rzekry

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 05 FZ6 2 weeks a go. Before that I have never been on a bike. It took me 3 days to get the basic controls. However, the challenges I still face are leaning in curves, emergency stopping, and right u-turns. Currently I have 400 miles on it and loving every one of them!

The FZ6 has treated me well as a learning rider. It's very forgiving.

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my story...

5 years ago, a coworker introduced me to the MSF so I decided to take the class, not really knowing if I'd ever get my own bike. I fell in love and about 3 months later, bought my first motorcycle, a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic.

Riding that thing home from the dealership was SCARY!!! It was the 4th of July holiday weekend, so I later took the bike to a nearby parking lot that night, and spent an hour doing a lot of the MSF drills. I spent the next two days only tooling around locally. It was 2-3 weeks before I even tried the expressway out.

In either case, what I always say is ride at your own pace. Like any new skill, your comfort level and abilities will increase with time and practice. I strongly encourage you to find an empty parking lot and do practice drills too. Hell, just yesterday, I participated in a semi-formal refresher class that a buddy of my hosted, with 21 other riders... it was great!

H

HavBlue

The FZ6 is only one of a few bikes for me so I went twice around the dealer parking lot and hit the freeway for a 20 mile ride home. As others have said, take your time, practice the skills and drills you learned at the MSF classes and go with it. Saddle time is everything so get out there and ride....

andrewclaycomb

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding for a few years now and have been through two bikes and will soon trade in for an 08 FZ6. Honestly it took me over a year before I was truly comfortable on a bike in all scenarios. Just this Spring I started taking passengers for the first time.

Take it easy, there's no rush. I would say for just commuting you will probably be confident enough for that after a few weeks. I wouldn't commute in the rain for a while though. You want to get some seat time in the rain without having to be somewhere.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My advice would be to go on a track day and get some tuition, regardless of experience.

Its not all about racing and going fast, its about just what a bike can do and how to habdle it in different situations.

The othe way is just to put 1000s of miles on your bike and change things you are not comfortable with.

Unfortunately the buy it off the shelf, one bike fits all has not been invented yet.

Steve

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been back riding 7 years now and my comfort level is now quite high with doing track days etc, but I did a 4 hour refresher course before i got on a bike again on the road and im glad i did it, listen to good advice from exp riders but dont try keeping up

but tonight I was in town on the fz6[wifes] for the first time in a month[mostly ride my gsxr750] and I was having the same problems epic ed and others are having with the clutch, I just seemed to have trouble getting the biting point. One second theres nothin then wham im off and even stalled her once. My missus has mentioned the way the clutch operates can be fiddly but she seems to get along nicely lately, so maybe it just takes a klittle gettuiing used to

So its not only u new guys havin troubles i know where u are coming from guys when u are trying to get ur confidence up with a first bike

Something i did notice was that if i was thinking about getting away cleanly I had the problem but if i was too busy to worry, so to speak, i got away no problem

have fun guys

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up my 05 FZ6 four days ago, I've been out everyday, so far.

This is my first bike, and the first time I've ridden the streets, 38, had some time in the dirt on borrowed bikes years ago.

The ride home from the dealership was nerve wracking, through town, at rush hour. It was a beautiful day yesterday, went out for a 70 mile trip along roads less travelled.

Anyway, what seems to be working for me, not having yet attended the MSF course (maybe this weekend...) is: slow and steady (clutch release, speed, curves, etc), consider every shift an opportunity to do better, leave plenty of room up front and never let the clutch out during a turn if your bike is stalled and it has been raining lightly - it will lock up and go sideways (thankfully, I was only going about 10 mph and managed to keep the black-side down)

Most importantly, what I try to keep in mind is: I suck at this, unless I want to try out my safety gear, I need to keep myself aware and in check at all times.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started out very young on dirt bikes, so I was pretty much comfortable within minutes of riding an FZ6 for the first time. Practice would be my advice for you. Ride as much as possible and re-visit some of the excercises you learned in your MSF course. Parking lots on a hoilday are good for practicing things like emergency stops and low speed stuff... As co-ordination between throttle, clutch and brakes increase, so will your comfort level... Most of all learn how to use you front brakes properly...

Now go out and ride...:)
This is great advice, the only thing I would add is practice, practice and practice.
Good luck.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that sounds exactrly like me. 40 y/o and just turn the ignition on my first bike at the MSF course last weekend. I, too, bought my FZ6 the week before I could even ride it -- had a friend drive it home.

Confession time -- I've been feeling a bit discouraged today from my ineptitude on last nights cruise around the neighborhood. I could not keep from stalling going into 1st gear. I mean it would take multiple tries for me to get going after coming to a stop. I'd either over rev the engine and dump the clutch, or I'd stall it from not giving it enough rpms while easing out the clutch. WTF?? :confused: I had much better success my first night on the bike, and I never stalled the bike at the MSF course. There seems to be a very small friction zone in my clutch, and I'm not sure if it's just how the FZ6 operates, or whether I need to have it checked, or whether it's strictly n00b-error and I'll eventually figure it out.

Anyhow...it's hard to build much confidence when you're not even able to get your sorry ass out of the way of traffic. I'm not going anywhere until I get this part dialed.

Ed
Don't be put of mate, Your putting in the time. Just check your idel speed, If its below 1250 rpm the adjust it. This really helped me get off the line.

Nelly

Last edited:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
The day I bought my fz6, last summer. I left the dealership, after all the pre flight checks the dealer was showing me this, and that. I rolled out of the dealers lot and onto the highway, 45mph road, just as smooth and controlled as could be. I was taking it very easy with the clutch, so as not to get out of balanced , kind of makes you jerk suddenly if you dont pay attention. I already heard about the touchy throttle, so my inputs were baby fine. I could see the guys at the dealer watching me ride off, probably expecting to call 911. I entered the freeway and headed north to indiana, about a 15 mile ride on the interstate. I never felt more free than being on this bike. If you respect the power this bike has, you will never get in trouble. Respect the posted speed limit, you can have fun going around a twisty at the speed limit just as well as going fast, and less danger. Since I have had this bike for a year now, I can honestly say I am not capable enough of a rider to handle all this thing has, but I have a comfort level and I enjoy the heck out of it. Practice squeezing the brakes slow then HARD steady, and this bike will stop in a heart beat. All you can do is read read read, watch videos of other people doing it, and hoping your luck holds out longer than you skill level. :Sport:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Confession time -- I've been feeling a bit discouraged today from my ineptitude on last nights cruise around the neighborhood. I could not keep from stalling going into 1st gear. I mean it would take multiple tries for me to get going after coming to a stop. I'd either over rev the engine and dump the clutch, or I'd stall it from not giving it enough rpms while easing out the clutch. WTF??

I was on a highway coming home from indiana. I caught the red light and had to wait with traffic. When the light turned green, I over revved and dumped the clutch, killing my bike. Took me a few tries to get it going. I was so embarrassed.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a smaller bike for about 9 months before I bought my Fazer. It was like learning to ride all over again ... only the very basic stuff transferred over (my first ride was a Kawi Vulcan 500 cruiser).

My advice is to *never* feel so confident that you stop being scared of getting into an accident. A friend of mine who rides once told me, "The day I stop being a little scared every time I swing a leg over, that will be the day I quit riding."

I definitely took some time before I got onto the freeway/highway. Proceed very slowly and the confidence will come. For me, the biggest thing to get used to was the sudden on/off throttle response, and the way it felt when stopping and cornering.