Cold air intake???

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright now this is why I posted this because that's the one thing I don't want to do is damage my fz. But ok my next question is have any of you guys done the air box mod? How about air box mod with a k&n type filter? Does the air box mod alone make that awesome sound of the cold air intake on a car? And does the k&n enhance the sound with the mod? Also how big of a hole can I cut that is still safe for the engine?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is kinda something I have entertained - but I'd be looking for a ram-air solution.

Difficult with the complete lack of space under the tank, so I'm very interested in seeing where this goes.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright now this is why I posted this because that's the one thing I don't want to do is damage my fz. But ok my next question is have any of you guys done the air box mod? How about air box mod with a k&n type filter? Does the air box mod alone make that awesome sound of the cold air intake on a car? And does the k&n enhance the sound with the mod? Also how big of a hole can I cut that is still safe for the engine?

I have NOT done the air box mod to my bike.

The Open Scorpion aftermarket exhaust make my bike plenty loud enough and do indeed change the sound of the bike(which most ((not all)) folks like as the stocker is sooo quiet). I don't want it any louder than it is. Its a little louder below 4,000 RPM, when you get on it, it sounds like a liter "go fast" race bike. The "butt" dyno also shows an improvement.

Do a search. There's numerous threads on the air box mod as well as exhausts. Chevy made his own super slick exhaust and posted several videos showing how the stock muffler sounds compared to I believe a Leo Vince and his... If you really enjoy modifying/building, his thread is an excellent place to start. The muffler on the FZ is very heavy and works very, very good at keeping the bike quiet. There's also consierable back pressure with it. You can open the air box up but if the air is slowed up in the exhaust, its a moot point.

IMHO, I'd start with the exhaust and open that up some or build/mod one from scratch.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41226-exhaust-comparison.html The exhaust audio comparison

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/45757-modded-stock-exhaust-baffles-out.html POST #7

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/40828-machine-gun-exhaust.html Machine gun exhaust

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/443-airbox-mod.html Air box mod

The search button is your friend... :)

Last edited:

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Not looking to make the exhaust louder I have an r6 header with gytr shorty silencer that is pleanty loud enough on that end...I want the intake sound to be louder now. I just wanna know what air box mod does to sound.

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
I did read that thread. What I wanna know is what's the sound difference? No videos??? And will it be louder if a k&n filter is used?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes there is a sound difference, more throaty, just like a CAI because your removing some of the restrictions which dampens the intake noise just like a CAI

j_rok-84

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks chevy! That's what I wanted to hear! But you know what? It's freakin cold in pa where I live and I just want winter to be over so I can ride!!!!!! Who's with me?!!!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks chevy! That's what I wanted to hear! But you know what? It's freakin cold in pa where I live and I just want winter to be over so I can ride!!!!!! Who's with me?!!!

its cold and crappy here in Harrisburg, PA all the time. i just know that in 2.5 weeks i get to go back to Tennessee and ride, and eat real food, and listen to some live music, etc.

oh and my bike is kinda.... y'kno.... um.... stock and stuff so....:don'tknow:

although if you really wanted to get into fabricating some real craziness im sure you could get a ram air setup on the FZ.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI, See post #7:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/47881-did-some-work.html#post522840

A response post from Ssky0078:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzsixx
So I finally got my fan in the mail tuesday and put it in Wed. Flushed out the coolant and replaced it. One thing I really didnt like was my airbox IDK if some of you guys have ever seen it but there is a tiny little rectangle that leads down than shoots the air right at the filter through another rectangle. Kinda looked like my engine was breathing through a straw... So in all my noob genius I decided to cut out the tube in the air box and just make the rectangle at the top the resistance for air flow besides the filter... And wow what a difference it made. Keeping the paper filter and just cutting the box so it still has to pass through the filter I felt a whole new amout of torque from the 1000-8000 rpm range and it sounds better too. Shes like a whole new monster at low rpm's. Above 8000 I didnt really notice a difference in power or torque just the sound is more aggressive. Then I went back in and changed my paper filter to a K&N air filter and I cant help but get on the throttle any chance I get....BIG TIME difference in power my baby can breathe.... I will put up some pictures eventually when I figure out how to. -Matt

From Ssky0078:

Are you going to do a Power Commander (Juice Box Pro)?

The reason I ask is I spoke with the Two Brothers customer service manager for about 30 minutes on the effects of modding the intake and exhaust systems. He said the safest mod is to do a slip on, no real change that could potentially damage the engine. He said if you do anything to improve the intake whether by installing a K&N (similar air filter) or an airbox mod that you should definitely do a Power Commander/Juice Box Pro. He said that the increased air flow will cause the bike to run lean (that's why you feel the snappier throttle response down low) but in time he said it can lead to all kinds of problems (valves, cylinders, plugs). The Power Commander properly tuned will help balance the fuel/air issue out. The guys at Apache Motorcycle had said the same thing to me before I even talked to the Two Brothers guys. They said all the bikes that they see with major mechanical issues have been modded. The stockers they said, just need oil changes and tuneups then the bike runs forever. This is what stopped me from modding my bike, when a group of guys that would have made a few hundred dollars off a noob tell them not to do something, I listen.

Glad you're happy with the bike, but worth checking into a fuel system manager for the longevity of the bike

Last edited: