Clutch won't disengage after adjustment.

onavlis

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Running into an issue lately. Tried installing the killernoodle mod (actually its the FZ07 clutch slave lever) and for some reason I can't get the clutch to disengage. Currently the bike is on its center stands. I have the clutch lever and mid adjustment screwed all the way in (mid adjustment has no threads showing) and pulled the slave lever as far out as I could while keeping the splined shaft going to the clutch turned all the way clockwise when installing. When I go to pull my clutch lever and shift to first, the wheels get caught like they are in gear with the clutch engaged. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your doing it correctly but I don't think you have the "arm" on the shaft correctly- correct spline (nothing else it could be).

Disconnect the cable at the lower end.

If you look at your old lever, you'll see a "dot" on the arm and also one on the case. With the clutch adjusted correctly(cable on but NOT pulled-basically at rest with the cable installed), the marks will line up.

The FZ-07 lever does NOT have that mark so you basically have to "wing it".

If you slide the old lever on, push on it inwards, at normal rest, you'll see the marks line up-

**Now, pay attention to the splined shaft (maybe scribe the top of the shaft). Remove the original lever and put the FZ-07 lever on in THAT SPOT/SPLINE..

It should now, when pushed in, be in the same position as the old one.

Re-install the cable and adjust accordingly.

Please post back how it goes..

onavlis

Reaction score
Visit site
Your doing it correctly but I don't think you have the "arm" on the shaft correctly- correct spline (nothing else it could be).

Disconnect the cable at the lower end.

If you look at your old lever, you'll see a "dot" on the arm and also one on the case. With the clutch adjusted correctly(cable on but NOT pulled-basically at rest with the cable installed), the marks will line up.

The FZ-07 lever does NOT have that mark so you basically have to "wing it".

If you slide the old lever on, push on it inwards, at normal rest, you'll see the marks line up-

**Now, pay attention to the splined shaft (maybe scribe the top of the shaft). Remove the original lever and put the FZ-07 lever on in THAT SPOT/SPLINE..

It should now, when pushed in, be in the same position as the old one.

Re-install the cable and adjust accordingly.

Please post back how it goes..

I tried my best but it still seems stuck, unless I am missing something. I took a short video to help explain as well as posted some pictures.

Video here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KrusnPRj1y15rrZeBQ9rotwbGK_PfuvH and pictures herehttps://imgur.com/a/799rt27

I really appreciate the help.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't adjusting the sheath outward tightening the cable? Go the opposite on the mid cable and clutch lever thread adjustments, where you're exposing thread. In other words a longer sheath should act like the cable is shorter/tighter giving less slack in the cable. The clutch friction range on the FZ6 is very short and I think you've got too much slack and your not near the disengagement.... Or have I been using a hydraulic clutch for too long?

Make sure your FZ07 lever is clocked correctly as Scott said..:)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
EXACTLY ^^^^. You have the cables adjusted to BE LOOSE.

Spin the handlebar adjuster out (so you can see threads), same at the mid-cable adjuster.

If that doesn't give you adjustment, rotate the fz-07 arm CC another spline. Might have to do it again.

When properly adjusted, that arm should be at 90 degrees to the cable

*Do you have the owners manual, it shows how to adjust the clutch, etc.
If not, PM me with an e-mail address and the year bike and I'll send it as a PDF.

How the lever should look (my bike), when adjusted correctly, lever NOT pulled:
(Also, notice how the lower RETURN SPRING is located-it pulls the lever away-the spring MUST be installed as such)

Part #2 fits inside the clutch and actually PULLs the plates APART(disengage)

ADMIN, pic's will expire in 7 days

Last edited:

onavlis

Reaction score
Visit site
Any updates?

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the advice. Tried multiple combinations of the lever and mid adjustments, showing as much threads as possible without completely disassembling and still having no luck, got as much tension on the cable as I possibly could and tried to line up the slave lever about 90 degrees and still no luck. Is it at all possible along the way that I messed up something else while messing around with the cable and pinion shaft? Like the pull rod lever and pinion? Pull rod shaft.PNG Its just weird to me that I can pull the clutch, get the splined shaft to turn a but and still have the rear wheel feel the same amount of resistance regardless if the clutch is engaged or not.

Thanks again for all the time you spent responding to me. I just got my motorcycle endorsement and feel like a complete idiot, especially since I missed out on such a nice riding weekend to go practice. Worst comes to worst, I will see if I can find a local mechanic to come help.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the advice. Tried multiple combinations of the lever and mid adjustments, showing as much threads as possible without completely disassembling and still having no luck, got as much tension on the cable as I possibly could and tried to line up the slave lever about 90 degrees and still no luck. Is it at all possible along the way that I messed up something else while messing around with the cable and pinion shaft? Like the pull rod lever and pinion? View attachment 69819 Its just weird to me that I can pull the clutch, get the splined shaft to turn a but and still have the rear wheel feel the same amount of resistance regardless if the clutch is engaged or not.

Thanks again for all the time you spent responding to me. I just got my motorcycle endorsement and feel like a complete idiot, especially since I missed out on such a nice riding weekend to go practice. Worst comes to worst, I will see if I can find a local mechanic to come help.

No problem, we'll get ya going..

The pinion shaft(#1)should be turned (no reason to pull the cover off), in the direction of how the lever pulls it, CLOCKWISE..
Forget about the cable for now(disconnect).

Slip the new lever over the pinion shaft and push it inwards, trying to get to that 90 degrees mark (or like my bikes pic).

Once it's there, the clutch is engaged, but ready to dis-engage once the cable is installed (and adjusted) and the handle bar clutch lever pull.

You may have to re-clock it till you get it right but that pinion shaft actually PULLS PART#2 OUTWARD-dis-engaging the clutch when the bar lever is pulled..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also.... The clutch disks and plates will want to stick together even when pressure is off them. This means your foot may not be enough to tell that the clutch is actually disengage. A better way is to put the bike on the ground (engine off), in 1st or 2nd gear, pull the clutch in and roll the bike forward and backward to see if it has actually disengaged.This is why when a bike is in neutral, you pull the clutch in and put it in gear there is a momentary clunk. That's the disks and plates breaking free. so don't use your foot like you did in the video... :)

Last edited:

onavlis

Reaction score
Visit site
Welp. I am beyond disappointed in the fact that today, I have come to realize that my stupidity knows no bounds.

Here is how I think it happened. When I first did the adjustment, I had the bike on the center stand and I am almost positive the side stand was down. I am sure you can imagine what happened after I did the adjustment the first time and went to put the bike in gear... boom kickstand shutoff switch. However, instead of doing my due diligence and checking everything, I immediately thought to my self "Hmm. Just did the adjustment, it must have something to do with that" coupled with the fact that I didn't really realize how much friction is still present on a cold clutch.. well down the rabbit hole I went.

Long story short, re-did the adjustment, put everything back together, MADE SURE THE SIDE STAND WAS UP, and lo and behold, she works. Getting into first the first time was a little clunky, so I am hoping that was just due to me stalling the bike a few times and messing with the clutch while it was cold. But the friction zone feels awesome and I will get a chance to practice now.

I can't thank you guys enough for the help, I just got my endorsement so getting this bike up and running was a big deal for me. If you are ever in the NewJersey/ NYC area, please let me know as it would mean a lot for me to repay the favor.

Thanks again, ride safe and God Bless.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job! The important part is you were successful getting it sorted, :rockon:

I was just thinking today how lucky we all are for the collective experience we all get from forums like this. :Flash:

Where in Jersey? I'm coming for pizza!Blah

Last edited: