clutch shudder?

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
just got my fz6 when I take off from.a dead stop there is.some shutter in the.clutch ...is it simply just wore and slipping or do i need a new basket

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
oil level is good and oil looks fresh but im going to change it anyway im going to put a new clutch and take a look at the basket its not inhibiting but it is enough to bug me lol

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Before putting in a new clutch on a bike with only 9500 miles, lube your clutch cable and check that it's working smoothly. Also make sure thats it's the clutch that is causing this and not bad gas or dirty injectors.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil life as well as temperature does affect clutch performance, but something to consider is: The wet clutch in these bikes will last 100,000 miles, but not at peak performance. I know mine is going out after 22k miles and shudder/slipping is a problem.

But like everyone else said, a good tuneup(change oil, clean/replace air filter, new fuel with some stabil or seafoam, clean chain, and throttlebody sync!) should come first just to make sure.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure it's just not the engine lugging? From a dead stop if I don't give it enough gas while pulling out it makes a tractor like sound because the engine is lugging a bit. Trying giving it more gas and ride the clutch a tiny bit while pulling out and see if it still does it.

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
Im fairly certain its not the engine lugging but ill keep you guys posted after the oil change and a good look over. thanks for.the insight

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
But like everyone else said, a good tuneup(change oil, clean/replace air filter, new fuel with some stabil or seafoam, clean chain, and throttlebody sync!) should come first just to make sure.

That should do, check clutch cable too, if there's play it could easily be worn out by now, cheap and easy to replace.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should the shudder continue after the above mentioned maintainance, your "steels" in the clutch are likely warped.

Normal wear is the friction plates wearing away with use. The steels last longer unless run hard. They'll discolor and literally warp, that's what causes the shudder.

You may have some wear on the edges of the clutch basket "fingers" but I suspect the basket itself will be fine...

Count on buying new steels and friction plates.. IMHO, I'd replace the clutch springs while there. Change the oil too and make sure there's no fiber from the friction plates floating about..

I wouldn't wait terribly long to address the clutch. about 6 months ago, I saw an R6 at the shop I get parts/tires from (very similar engine as the FZ) with the engine pulled/upside down. They were plucking parts of the exploded friction plates from the lower engine which jambed up some gears locking up the engine. The owner apparently beat on the bike extensivly...

At least the FZ6 engine makes access to the clutch very, very easy... If you do the work, make sure you SOAK the friction plates in oil BEFORE ASSSEMBLY..

Last edited:

Skote

Reaction score
Visit site
Im going to pull the clutch out and inspect it soon but first I'm going to order the side cover gasket in case I ruin the one.on it but it hasent been beat really I know tperson ibpurchases it from personally he rides pretty conservativly

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Abuse usually causes the warpage..

If it really hasn't been abused, while your there, and before you disassemble the plates, check for any noticable play in the entire clutch basket, there should be none...

When all the plates are out, check the inner clutch basket as well as the outer, again for any unusual play. Its pretty unusual but if a bushing is worn out holding the clutch assembly.

I just looked in the manual and there is a small roller bearing on the INSIDE of the outer clutch (that the 6 springs reside in). Make sure that bearing is ok, if its worn, wobbling, loose, etc, I suspect it'd give the same symptoms..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The wrong oil will also wreak havoc with a wet clutch. IIRC this is all OK-> API SG JASO MA while anything with Energy Conserving II or CD label are bad.

Because the bike is new to you, well you have no idea but the wrong engine oil will make it grab and shudder. Also if its varnished up or has deposits on the steel plates it can grab. Cause would be the previous owner slipping it. If they slipped it allot and made hard spots on the steal plates they must be replaced. However - if just glazed, you can burn it off.

If you intent is to pull it apart regardless, you would be out some oil by trying this (roughly 250 miles of stop and go and you should know). The other option is to heat it up and burn off the deposits. Put it in third gear, hold the brakes, and slip the clutch for about 3 seconds at 3500 RPM. Now go ride it. . .