Clutch lever not able to pull in when riding

FURIOUS

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on my bike and when i went to change up or down gears the clutch lever was stiff, i couldn't pull it in and when i did the bike just reeved up as if it was going to do a wheelie.

I had a look at the cable and it looks fine.

I had to ride home with it stuck in first or second gear.

The only time i could safely pull the clutch lever in was when the bike was rolling to a stop.

When i also pull the clutch in when its on the stand and move the gear lever it clicks up and down as normal but there is also a spring noise which doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
S

Shamus McFeeley

Put the bike up on the center stand and see if you can move the shift lever to change gears (bump the wheel). It sounds like something is jammed and it preventing your clutch from disengaging. If you can shift gears with the bike on the center stand and you've already identified that the clutch cable is not binding/routed wrong/ect, then you've probably isolated the problem to the clutch itself. You might want to take the clutch cover off and see what is going on in there.

FURIOUS

Reaction score
Visit site
When i also pull the clucth in when its on the stand and move the gear lever it clicks up and down as normal but there is also a spring noise which doesn't sound right.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd remove the oil filler plug and peek inside with a good flashlight(NOT RUNNING)...Perhaps stick the bike in gear(NOT RUNNING) and rotate slowly looking at the clutch itself as best as possible.. You can see the main clutch pressure plate and several clutch plates. Pull the clutch lever and see if the plates separate and then come back as released. There shouldn't be any springs /bolts, etc sticking out from the main aluminum pressure plate.

On the outside, there is a return spring on the leverage arm, atop the case...

Also, make sure the clutch arm (with the cable attached) is moving fully and freely back and forth...

Good luck, please keep us posted....

Scott

Last edited:

FURIOUS

Reaction score
Visit site
I had no luck. I have taken it to a Mechanic he can't believe that the bike is doing that as he knows i don't rake her.

He says the clutch is slipping and it will prob need a new clutch kit.

How much will that cost for a kit or where would be the best place to buy one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't sound like a worn clutch but pulling the side cover should reveal something.. A worn clutch will still shift and the lever operate, the engine will rev and the bike will not accelerate (like pulling the lever partially in while under way). it should still shift..

Did you look inside the oil fill hole while actuating the clutch lever? Any movement? Parts sticking out? On page 5-53 (for an 2007) shows the shifter assembly on the left side of the bike. I have had the shift shaft spring break (part # 6) on an older 650 yamaha. That however, just basically brings the shifter back to the middle position. If spring #8 broke the shifter stopper lever would float about and not engage correctly in a single gear at a time.... If nothing is found with the clutch, I'd pull the left side shifter cover off and check there (shifter shaft sping, stopper lever return spring, etc) before getting any deeper into the engine.

The symptoms you note are extremly unusual....

PS. I'd find the specific problem before I ordered a new clutch....

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It almost sounds like one of the springs for the shifter forks is somehow come to a bad end.... If there's a 'springing' noise when you lift the shifter........ that doesn't necessarily sould like it's directly related to the clutch.

What year is the bike? Is it in warranty?