clutch lever free play?

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok the owners manual suggest that free play should be between 10 and 15mm. personally i find that very annoying and i don't see why there has to be free play anyways..Opinions??

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok the owners manual suggest that free play should be between 10 and 15mm. personally i find that very annoying and i don't see why there has to be free play anyways..Opinions??

Yep they only put that in the manual to pee you off.

Ignore the engineers, what do they know?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to keep my free play as low as possible....about 5mm. I reckon that should be more than enough.

:thumbup:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I have short fingers and the long stretch to pull the clutch or brake lever was hurting my hands so I adjusted the clutch adjuster just so the clutch is slightly disengaged and increased (the engagement) it a full turn. Now my pull is very short, must be inch 1/2 to disengage. Been like this since I bought it and no problems whatsoever.

FLuK28

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's so that it is easier to pull. Gives you a little more leverage before engaging. If you had short fingers, it would get annoying if there was no play beacause you would have to stretch your digits out so far everytime. Personal preference really...

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Play? Seriously? I guess that I should rtfm. Mine is at zero. Must be the bicycle mechanic in me. I don't want to be taking up slack in the cable before I begin to disengage the clutch. But that's just me and I could "wrong" in my thinking, but I agree that it's a personal preference/feel kind of thing.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
this is my #1 biggest complaint about the FZ. The clutch engagement window is so freaking tiny that the bike is awkward to shift for me unless I have the adjuster screwed all the way in to where there is 2 INCHES of clutch lever free play. every other bike I have ridden, the clutch doesnt disengage until the lever is pulled all the way to the bars. on the FZ the engagement window is way out at the end of the lever action. I hate it.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
this is my #1 biggest complaint about the FZ. The clutch engagement window is so freaking tiny that the bike is awkward to shift for me unless I have the adjuster screwed all the way in to where there is 2 INCHES of clutch lever free play. every other bike I have ridden, the clutch doesnt disengage until the lever is pulled all the way to the bars. on the FZ the engagement window is way out at the end of the lever action. I hate it.

Definitely preference. I LOVE the short window so that I can shift quickly.