clutch engagment question

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
2006 FZ6 - My clutch starts to grab at the very end of the lever travel or when the clutch lever is almost all the way out. I would like it to grab after about a 1/2 inch or so of letting it out ( not sure what is supposed to be normal ? ) How does one do this? I think it might help a bit with the drive line lash and be a litle eaiser to start the bike off.

I know there are the two adjusters, one by the lever and the two nuts on the cable by the air box.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!t

S

Shamus McFeeley

The adjuster by the clutch itself is for major adjustments, the one on the clutch itself is for more of a finer adjustment.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to adjust it from the clutch cable itself, you have to pull back tank and take off airbox. To the left of airbox is a clip holding clutch cable in, there should be adjustment nuts there, one lock nut and the other to adjust it. I would do it there if you really want to take out some slack and dont want to leave yourself screwed at the lever adjuster with no play left.

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I'll do it where the adjustment nut is by the frame and see if I can change it a bit,

Thanks!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
If you tighten the little adjusted nut on the lever by tightening it down closer to the lever, the engagemenet point will be closer to the grip.

This will, however, also introduce some slack into the cable as you will reduce the overall action in the handle.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you tighten the little adjusted nut on the lever by tightening it down closer to the lever, the engagemenet point will be closer to the grip.

This will, however, also introduce some slack into the cable as you will reduce the overall action in the handle.

+1 on the above, just make sure the clutch is completly disengaging...

BTW, I've found most Yamaha's, the clutch grabs at the end of travel, Suzuki', at the beginning of the release. Kawasaki, about the middle...

If the adjustment doesn't work for you, they make aftermarket adjustable clutch levers that will allow the lever closer to the bar with the correct amount of play..

Last edited: