Clutch Centre Nut Size - FZ6 2005

Ben99

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Folks,

Can anyone help me out with the size of the clutch centre nut which holds the clutch basket on? Whatever it is i don't have a socket drive big enough to take it off!

I've checked the Yamanual, and the Haines service and repair manual, they both only supply torque amounts for the nut, nothing on its size. I've also locked through this forum and cannot see it detailed in any previous posts.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ben

Ben99

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking Nut #18, but no clue what size it is.

All I can say is, as the nuts get larger a standard English fractional sized socket can be used.

Yes thats the one. No worries!! Trial and error and a few trips to halfords!

Once I find out tomorrow I will put the answer up here so that any other idiots like me who over torque their clutch springs and snap them inside the boss can replace it. :spank:

Thanks anyway

Ben

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have more joy in the works than you may realize.
Getting the nut off will be easy but I think you need to pull thr exhaust, header, oil sump, and oil pump to get the oil pumps chain off the clutch cage.

JM2C but snapped bolts like that usually come out pretty easy. Options are:
Center punch bolt, drill out with undersized REVERSE BIT. This can be very successful. The hitch would be if the threads have Locktite on them. You likely have new bolts by now, do they have a coating on them?

Using a reverse cut bit will make minimal shavings and usually catch and simply spin out the broken piece.
Note: even if you used a bit the same size as the bolt, a slight touch removing the surface finish would not compromise the holding capacity. Obviously no harm is best but marring the surface isn't a show stopper if you get the bolt out.

If it is flush, sometimes a very sharp chisel or punch can be used to spin it out enough to grab with grips.

Ben99

Reaction score
Visit site
You have more joy in the works than you may realize.
Getting the nut off will be easy but I think you need to pull thr exhaust, header, oil sump, and oil pump to get the oil pumps chain off the clutch cage.

JM2C but snapped bolts like that usually come out pretty easy. Options are:
Center punch bolt, drill out with undersized REVERSE BIT. This can be very successful. The hitch would be if the threads have Locktite on them. You likely have new bolts by now, do they have a coating on them?

Using a reverse cut bit will make minimal shavings and usually catch and simply spin out the broken piece.
Note: even if you used a bit the same size as the bolt, a slight touch removing the surface finish would not compromise the holding capacity. Obviously no harm is best but marring the surface isn't a show stopper if you get the bolt out.

If it is flush, sometimes a very sharp chisel or punch can be used to spin it out enough to grab with grips.

Im pretty sure the cage doesn't need to come off. Just everything else (plates etc) up to and including the boss which is what the screws and springs secure into. Ill let you know when II tackle it tomorrow.

I got a replacement whole clutch from a breakers yard for £50, Ill just swap the boss out once she's been stripped. New boss alone from Yamaha was £160!

I have a spare clutch now and can attempt to drill out the old screw whilst still running the bike. At least if I mess it up I'm still on the road!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My mistake, you are correct. Outer cage stays in place, Had to go look. From: highlight=adamfz Broken My Gears (2013-02)

IMG_0869_zps731e03fc.jpg

IMG_0907_zpsb298d284.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:beer: ya, had to see the drawing/parts to know. Still, a reverse bit will zing that busted chunk out swiftly.
So, you are riding it with missing bolts and a compromised set of bolts?

Ben99

Reaction score
Visit site
:beer: ya, had to see the drawing/parts to know. Still, a reverse bit will zing that busted chunk out swiftly.
So, you are riding it with missing bolts and a compromised set of bolts?

She's all done now, thanks for your help. The clutch is now much more 'grippy'.

I had brand new screws, spring fibres and plates to go in,
I thought I'd replace them seeing as it will be opened up. Rode with 4 springs (took out the spring opposite to even out pressure). I know this is a bit naughty but the bike is a commuter and i couldn't get the parts quickly due to the holidays. I did 20 miles on her in this state as a necessity.

Last edited:

Ben99

Reaction score
Visit site
The nut is size 30mm :Flash:

For anyone who doesn't have a clutch removal tool or an impact gun and wants to remove the clutch nut, I recommend using a gold secure chain lock to wrap around the swingarm and lock it off before using the breaker and socket to remove the nut. Make sure the bike is in first gear first though!

The chain is never going to break and your swingarm will be protected from damage and scratches by the mesh material that surrounds the lock chain.

2 (1).jpg

4.jpg

Last edited: