Clutch cable adjustment tips please

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all

After fitting my 2wheels levers I found that the bite was quite far out so I adjusted the cable (via the adjuster dial) which made the bite much closer how I like it but now the lever seems to be loose (ie it doesn't spring back out properly)

If I adjust the adjuster back so that the lever springs back ok, then my bite is far out too.

Does anyone have any tips for how to get my lever to be fully out when not engaged but to also have the bite close to the grip? There must be some trick in the procedure that I'm just not doing (something at the engine end I'm guessing)

Spider 007

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same thing, even with the stock lever.

It won't harm anything to leave it like that, but I just got into the habit of pushing it back between shifts so that it's always where I expect it to be when I reach for it...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like booth of you ^^ above need to lube the cable? Honest, when's the last time you did it? Best I've found is it needs lube about every 2500 miles 2 months.

There is a happy mix. I have those levers and it releases completely about a 1/2" from hitting the grip and returns to full out. This way i know I'm not slipping it when at a light for extended time. Anyway - Lube the cable and then adjust the perch twist so you get what you want. Perhaps set the lever to the middle setting and then fiddle. It's nice to hit the sweet spot so give it a shot. . .

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Only had my bike for a month and have no idea when the last owner last lubed the cable or if it's ever been done so I've just ordered a new clutch cable so replace that for starters and see how I go from there.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the clutch lube as FinalImpact posted. It does make a big difference, especially if it hasn't been done in awhile.

There should be some free play at the clutch lever, the return spring (on the clutch cover) can only pull so far (along with the clutch springs themselves as well).

The easier the cable moves, the easier the spring has to work and will pull the cable back/out farther. Makes shifting/clutching much easier and enjoyable too...

Clean and grease where the clutch lever bolts to the perch as well. Make sure its not TOO TIGHT and binds. A spot of grease on the new upper cable end barrel is good too...

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
When I got my 2Wheels levers, all I did for teh clutch side was tighten the actual cable at the adjustment knob until the clutch lever sat flush and there was no more than 1mm or so free play. Then I clicked the lever adjuster to the lowest setting. And finally I lubed my cable.

Works perfectly and there is no slack or issues with the lever returning to the correct position after a pull.

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same thing, even with the stock lever.

It won't harm anything to leave it like that, but I just got into the habit of pushing it back between shifts so that it's always where I expect it to be when I reach for it...

Mine is the same way, If you have the clutch release closer to the handlebar then this will happen.

Spider 007

Reaction score
Visit site
My cable has been lubed a month ago, at the same time I adjusted the clutch.

I like my clutch to bite really close to the grip, so it's not uncommon for me to have to deal with that "slack" at the far end of the lever travel. I've had it on other bikes before, and the only way to get rid of it would be to change the spring on the other end of the cable for a stiffer one to pull the extra length of cable through... but that would also mean I would need more pressure to activate the clutch lever and it's just not worth it.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can feel mine starting to get a little harder to pull then I know it's time to lube it. Cleaning and lubing is a lot easier than just replacing it.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips for how to get my lever to be fully out when not engaged but to also have the bite close to the grip? There must be some trick in the procedure that I'm just not doing (something at the engine end I'm guessing)

With the stock clutch and slave lever, the short answer is no. You can't have the lever spring back to fully out AND have the clutch engage near the handlebar.

If you want to get creative, you could fabricate some sort of spring to take up all the slack at the slave lever/clutch basket. Then it would spring back to fully out and you could adjust your cable to that is engages near the handlebars.