Clunking sound from rear wheel + noise when pulling away

WillFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm not very mechanically minded but wondered if anyone could help me out....

I've noticed that there is a clunking or knocking sound which i think is coming from the rear of the bike - the frequency of the noise speeds up as the bike does, but i can only hear it at low speeds. Also, the noise seems to be there when the bike is in gear and when coasting in neutral.

Also, when pulling away from a stop there is the same clunking noise and a horrible rattle too.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Cheers

I'm not an expert at this, but maybe this will give you some ideas until someone with knowledge steps in:

Have you checked your tire for a screw or something in it? I have had screws in my tires before, and I can hear the head clicking against the ground with every revolution of the tire.

Have you checked your rear sprocket for condition? Any missing or worn teeth?

Have you checked your chain for proper tension?

Again, not an expert, but these are the first places I would look as they're easy enough to inspect.

I have also noticed that the chain will make a clicking sound if it is not properly lubricated. Use an o-ring safe chain lube and see if that makes the noise go away. Otherwise, what the guys above me have said: Chain tension, sprocket, bearing.

Ok, thanks for the replies, i'll do some investigating and see what i can find

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

:Flip:

I had the same issues at slow speed from a stop. I wondered if my transmission or engine were coming apart but the sound when away when my speed increased. Lubing the chain made it all better.

Having just destroyed my rear wheel bearing by plowing it into a curb I can tell you it'll clunk when taking off and maneuvering at slow speeds as well as when you hit bumps. You can tell for sure by wiggling the rear tire when it's up on the center stand.

Back