Close call!!!!

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
On my commute on the way home last night. Weather conditions: awful (heavy rain and cold), and dark. Road conditions: wet (obviously!) but straightish 3 lane urban motorway. Traffic conditions: heavy. Tyre conditions: well, lets say I need some new ones desperately!

So I'm doing about 90kph (around 60mph) going up a hill in 4th gear so the revs are fairly high. I decide to power past a car in front (I'm cold and hate the rain and want to get home!). Bit too much throttle = mega sideways action! :eek: My heart jumped a fair bit I can tell you. Motocross skills kicked in and kept me upright. I EASED off the throttle (never snap it shut!), stuck my leg out and a little opposite lean and she gripped again.

All these threads on here about increasing horsepower! I think the FZ6 has plenty! Needless to say I am off to get some Pilot Road 2s today! :rolleyes:

Moral of the story: don't forget how powerful the Fazer can be, especially in the wet! Don't be in a rush to get home. Don't let your tyres get so worn! :spank:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pleased to hear you managed to control it :thumbup:

I had a similar thing happen to me last week, but it had to do with the new road markings, they have recently changed the broken line with a double broken line seperated by the old line which has now been painted over with black paint :eek: from now on I'm going to take it easy whilst overtaking.

This time of year is made even worse by the wet leaves on the roads.

Take it easy Davey.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On my commute on the way home last night. Weather conditions: awful (heavy rain and cold), (I'm cold and hate the rain and want to get home!).

Moral of the story: don't forget how powerful the Fazer can be, especially in the wet! Don't be in a rush to get home. Don't let your tyres get so worn! :spank:

Don't forget it starts with your gear. If it's cold and rainy, make sure you wear the appropriate gear for the condition that you will be riding in.

The objective is so that you won't be distracted from how cold and wet you are so you can concentrate on your ride versus trying to get home in such a hurry. You're doing the opposite what you are suppose to do in these type of conditions. Try to plan ahead, I know sometimes you're just stuck with what you have.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget it starts with your gear. If it's cold and rainy, make sure you wear the appropriate gear for the condition that you will be riding in.

The objective is so that you won't be distracted from how cold and wet you are so you can concentrate on your ride versus trying to get home in such a hurry. You're doing the opposite what you are suppose to do in these type of conditions. Try to plan ahead, I know sometimes you're just stuck with what you have.

Thanks Vegas. It's good advice! I couldn't agree more, which is why I have full gear on all the time. I've got nice expensive textile gear, and I was dry and I guess fairly warm (I've certainly been a lot colder!). I think I just wanted to get out of the rain asap. It was this that lead me to switching off to the dangers really. Forgetting my tyres were on the limit and how much gas to give it in wet conditions.

New Pilot Road 2's on today - they are amazing!!!! Can't wait to get them scrubbed in.

cowboytk

Reaction score
Visit site
yea definitely dont let anyone say the fz6 doesnt have enough power..cuz im 240 and it lifts up the front wheel easy in 1st and keeps thru the 1-2 shift.

Dan

Reaction score
Visit site
Davey, very strange situation, you mentioned that you had high revs on the forth gear when you were going up to a hill and your speed was about ninety. I guess you did not have more than 5000. It is not enough to loose your rear wheel even it was raining, especially you were going up. I guess, your rear wheel was on road marking. If so, it is your fault, because you have to check road marking all time.
Sorry in advance if I got your explanation wrong))))))
And be careful!!!

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I am pretty sure the problem there was "invisble" (painted over) road marking or other kind of slippery surface.

Glad to know nothing happened to you and to the wonderful FZ

Cheers