Clock won't keep correct time

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to apologize ahead of time...I don't have a user manual or this problem might be an easy fix. Actually I have an electronic version of manual, but it's not working....

Anyway, my FZ's clock reads 1:00 every time I turn the bike on. Even if I set the correct time, it resets itself when I turn the key off. I just finished a naked conversion, so I think maybe it's a wiring issue. Any ideas ? Thanks.

fredraction

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you've miswired something. The ECU should always have battery power. Could you have miswired the ignition switch and main relay to completely remove power when the switch is off? Just a thought.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you've miswired something. The ECU should always have battery power. Could you have miswired the ignition switch and main relay to completely remove power when the switch is off? Just a thought.

This makes sense. Now I need to decide whether knowing the time is worth the trouble...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
This makes sense. Now I need to decide whether knowing the time is worth the trouble...

I would think you should find the correct power for the ECU.... I know it 'learns' your habits on the bike and tunes accordingly by what I have read here....

Yours would have to start all over again, with every turn of the key.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you have actually interrupted the continuous 12V circuit to the meter, not the ECU.
Look for a Red w/Green wire in the headlight wire harness. It comes from the fuse box (Spare circuit) and supplies 12V to the meter at all times.

Wiring diagram attached.

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I would think you should find the correct power for the ECU.... I know it 'learns' your habits on the bike and tunes accordingly by what I have read here....

Yours would have to start all over again, with every turn of the key.

What exactely does it learn and how does it tune the bike?

on topic: It's better is the ECU stays powered all the time, When you powercycle it constantely you get powerspikes during startup for some milliseconds. I'm not saying it will destroy the ECU after time, but I would rewire it back to the normal wiring. Everything is done for a reason ;)

just my 2 eurocents...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
What exactely does it learn and how does it tune the bike?

on topic: It's better is the ECU stays powered all the time, When you powercycle it constantely you get powerspikes during startup for some milliseconds. I'm not saying it will destroy the ECU after time, but I would rewire it back to the normal wiring. Everything is done for a reason ;)

just my 2 eurocents...

To be perfectly honest, I don't know. That often quoted piece of advice to reset the ECU by disconnecting the power for seconds, is what I am referring to.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site

I am not a technical person so will not say much on the topic.:thumbup:
I have to agree that you may have miswired something. On my bike the clock displays the time even after the bike is turned off and the key removed. This indicate that there is always power going to the clock.

It would bug me to hell and back not to have the correct time, That is just me I suppose. My previous bike (Suzuki SV650) did not have a clock so I installed my own.

I am sure it does bug you, otherwise you would not have posted the question.....;)

Good luck :D

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of your input. That wiring diagram is fantastic. Can you believe how many wires are on this bike?:eek: If I can get to the wires that Cali is refering to and fix it, I'd be thrilled, but if not, I think it's worth taking to an expert especially since the ECU might be affected as RJ mentioned.

Also, I experimented with the bike by setting the time, then turning the key off for a few seconds to see if it held the time. It did keep the time with the key off for about ten seconds, so tomorrow, maybe I'll see how long the key can be off...

Or I can just ride the thing every day at 1:00pm.:BLAA: