Clip-ons

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I have found a set of clip-ons that used to be on an FZR. Got them next to free, so why not. Won't know if they will work until I try, so... They'll probably get here on Monday:thumbup:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI: FZR clip-ons do NOT fit. Crap.

Thing is: they are supposed to be fitted underneath the triple originally. Then there's the issue of fastening the fork mounts, which is the real problem: There's a screw that is supposed to go into the triple from underneath. The clip-ons can be fitted over the triple, but then the handlebar mounts will be in the way.

Well. That was money down the drain:BLAA:

wangt86

Reaction score
Visit site
you can use cb1100xx blackbird clip ons. From what I've read they can clear the fz6 fairing. I'm naked so makes no difference. You can search back their are multiple issues with using clipons on fz6s

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I ran some CBR1100XX clipons for a while, and they mostly cleared. That is, they cleared enough for riding around, but they kept me from being able to use my steering lock. I took them off because of that but am planning to go back to clipons when I get a chance. I like the position much better. I am planning on getting some of these: Apex Store :: Riser Clip-ons Not cheap but I figure they'll do the job nicely for me. Hopefully they'll be able to mount under the triple with the rise, but if they have to go above no biggy, thats how my CBR clipons were.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
I'm thinking about getting a set of the blackbird clip-ons but I am confused as to how they connect to my 2005. They definitely wont be able to go underneath the triple thing because they will go right into my fairing... do I push that down and mount them above? I'm not really sure how to go about this.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woodcraft make clip-ons that fit....nice bit of quality kit too...but if you are going to use clip-ons, yoiu really need to get rid ofd OEM indicator mounts, as they will foul the clip on mount bracket...

You also need to install a steering stop on the bottom triple clamp, otherwise, you will damage your fuel tank when on full lock...

Oh, and a custom billet top triple clamp, without the built in risers like the OEM FZ6 top clamp...

To get a clip-on set up to work on an FZ6 is not quite as simple as it seems...it aint just a matter of bolting the buggers on...

You end up having to do indicators, steering stop, a new top clamp (preferably), and most probably an aftermarket headlight, that gives you the clearance between the fork legs, and the cli-on clamp.

:thumbup:

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Woodcraft make clip-ons that fit....nice bit of quality kit too...but if you are going to use clip-ons, yoiu really need to get rid ofd OEM indicator mounts, as they will foul the clip on mount bracket...

You also need to install a steering stop on the bottom triple clamp, otherwise, you will damage your fuel tank when on full lock...

Oh, and a custom billet top triple clamp, without the built in risers like the OEM FZ6 top clamp...

To get a clip-on set up to work on an FZ6 is not quite as simple as it seems...it aint just a matter of bolting the buggers on...

You end up having to do indicators, steering stop, a new top clamp (preferably), and most probably an aftermarket headlight, that gives you the clearance between the fork legs, and the cli-on clamp.

Wow, crap. With all of the "The Blackbird ones just bolt on!" posts I literally thought I could buy them, swap the bars, and be good. ****. I was under the impression that I just pushed the front down a bit to give a mounting position above the triple, bolted those suckers on, and was good to go. I mean it looks like they would fit... Thanks for ruining my night :( :spank:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up using ConvertiBars. They are infinitely adjustable, they just cost a little more. If you look on Ebay you can find a set for about $250 vs. $360 from the mfg. Look for 43mm.

I liked them so much I put a set on my FZ1.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
I ended up using ConvertiBars. They are infinitely adjustable, they just cost a little more. If you look on Ebay you can find a set for about $250 vs. $360 from the mfg. Look for 43mm.

I liked them so much I put a set on my FZ1.

Does it change anything? Do I still have to go through that stuff to put them on? I was going to grab the blackbird ones because I found a decent deal on a set and I was under the impression that I could just lower the front a little bit, bolt them on, swap the stuff to the new bar, and be good to go. If I have to do more surgery than that it's not really something I'm going to have time or money to do. I can get the 1100XX bars for like $100, jumping up to the ~$300 range is a little too rich for my taste.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, crap. With all of the "The Blackbird ones just bolt on!" posts I literally thought I could buy them, swap the bars, and be good. ****. I was under the impression that I just pushed the front down a bit to give a mounting position above the triple, bolted those suckers on, and was good to go. I mean it looks like they would fit... Thanks for ruining my night :( :spank:

If you pull the forks through the top clamp, to put on the clip on's above the top triple clamp, you will radically alter the geometry of the bike, causing the bike to behave differently when riding the bike...

the clip-ons need to mount under the top triple clamp.

As Pete (Hellgate) said, Convertibars are a good option, due to their large range of adjustability.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does it change anything? Do I still have to go through that stuff to put them on? I was going to grab the blackbird ones because I found a decent deal on a set and I was under the impression that I could just lower the front a little bit, bolt them on, swap the stuff to the new bar, and be good to go. If I have to do more surgery than that it's not really something I'm going to have time or money to do. I can get the 1100XX bars for like $100, jumping up to the ~$300 range is a little too rich for my taste.

I'm not sure what you mean by "change anything", but you do not need to reposition the fork at all. Check out their web site, its much easier than me trying to explain. Also search this site and you'll find my how to posts.

Good luck.