Clip-ons mod recomandations

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

Well, I just got a pair of 2006 VFR clip-ons for about $100 and I should receive them by Friday. I know they have a bigger raise then the CBR ones if I am not mistaking. My plan is to mount them first under the triple to see if all is good and clear and nothing hits the tank. If this is no go, then I have to lower the triple on the fork but I wish not to do that so the geometry of the bike stays the same...

In the eventuality I HAVE to lower the triple, what should I take under consideration? that is the best way to lower the back as well? so I keep the geometry without loosing to much clearance or any if possible?

I am a big guy (about 215 pounds at 6.1 ft) and do not want to scrape the bike or worst if ground clearance is not adequate. Please give any suggestions and share all knowledge you might spare :Sport::stupidpc:

Thank you in advance.

PS: Of course I will provide pics once it is all up and installed :BLAA:

Last edited:

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Lowering the triple won't change tank clearance.

OK, so either the clip-ons are below or above the triple, it should not hit the tank then? Good news. I am jumping to the conclusion it will not hit because if the CBR ones do not, those should really not (I hope :))

Thanks

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Below or above the triples will make a difference. I think what he is saying is when you move the triples up or down clearance won't change. When you change position of the clip-ons relative to the triple is when clearance changes. I hope those VFR clip-ons work for you, I had the CBR ones for a while and had to drop the triples and mount the clip-ons above, and it wasn't long before I switched back to the bar. I do plan on going back to clip-ons, but only ones I can mount under the triple. I had been planning on using Swatt clip-ons but if the VFR work that would be a great alternative.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
If you lower the triples enough to mount the clip-ons, the geometrie wil be altered to much ...

My advice, don't do it.
The max you sould lower the triple is 10mm.

If the clip-ons hit the tank, you can always put "steering bumps" so the range of motion is less.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
If you lower the triples enough to mount the clip-ons, the geometrie wil be altered to much ...

My advice, don't do it.

If the clip-ons hit the tank, you can always put "steering bumps" so the range of motion is less.
Ditto. Just raising the forks 5mm makes a difference. If you bought a lowering spring like the Hyperpro for the rear (it's also for a higher weight than stock) it would help, but the bike would still be pretty hairy to ride unless you get a steering dampener and crank up the resistance.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Below or above the triples will make a difference. I think what he is saying is when you move the triples up or down clearance won't change.

He's got it right.

The front of the tank and the top triple meet at the same point in the frame and are fixed. Lowering the triple on the forks will only change the angle of the frame relative to the ground.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site

My advice, don't do it.

That's exactly why I put my bar back on. When I first put it on, looked great, felt great when I sat on it...took it out for a ride and came back and put the bar right back on. Very twitchy feeling. That's why I'm on the hunt for some clip-ons that can mount under the triple while still clearing the tank and fairing.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, here is where I am in the project.

First and foremost, I take safety seriously and would change no geometry of the bike. Therefore I installed the triple I purchased last year (Acculign) and the VFR clip ons (about 2 inches of height + 1 inch = just a bit over 3 inches in total). Bare in mind the clip ons are higher then the CBR ones but even then, imposible to mount them under the tripe without hitting the tank and causing all sorts of other clearing issues. So I lowered the triple on the forks (1inch the base of the VFR clip ons base).

The bike ground clearance immediately changed and lost about 1.5 inches in the front. To rectify this temporarily I installed the 1 inch and 5/8 of longer metal tubes (fork spring compressors) in the fork which allowed me to recover the proper geometry of the bike. Nonetheless, the springs are o course more compressed and therefore have a shorter traveling distance so this is far from perfect as while the ground clearance is back to original and geometry is recovered, I am a bit heavy at 215 pounds.

Tomorrow I will therefore continue nonetheless with the mod. Planning on cleaning the clip ons, bake them black and installing my rizoma grips. In the meanwhile, I will most likely order the race-tech 1.2kg springs and once received and installed I will put back the original fork tube compressors and mesure the clearance. If this is no good, I will cut little by little of my longer fork tube compressors ( or whatever are called, please check pics attached) until I recover the proper clearance and geometry.

Now I would need your input/help/experience on from whom better to buy those fork springs. The best case scenario would be something like race-tech or hyperpro or something else that can sell me the proper rated springs (1.2kg as per race-tech) but about 1 to 1.5 inches longer to recover my springs traveling distance.

All input that can help me be successful with this mod are more then welcome/appreciated.

Thank you and ride safe.

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Now I would need your input/help/experience on from whom better to buy those fork springs. The best case scenario would be something like race-tech or hyperpro or something else that can sell me the proper rated springs (1.2kg as per race-tech) but about 1 to 1.5 inches longer to recover my springs traveling distance.

All input that can help me be successful with this mod are more then welcome/appreciated.

Thank you and ride safe.

Interesting. Go to Race-tech ask them what they recommend.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. Go to Race-tech ask them what they recommend.

I will do that on Monday, until there, here is the ALMOST finished look. I am missing a piece in order to install the bar ends but at list I can ride it. Actually I did but not very extensively as it is kinda cold out so can not comment on the spring action in my fork yet. I will update this as I have more feedback.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice mod zamo. I have convertibars on my FZ...

Is there any way you could take a better pic of the final look? Get closer to the bars, forget about including the whole bike in the shot...Thanks!:D

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice mod zamo. I have convertibars on my FZ...

Is there any way you could take a better pic of the final look? Get closer to the bars, forget about including the whole bike in the shot...Thanks!:D

here it is :)

I just need to mod the bar weights with some rubber tubbing and install the VFR weights.

kcrunch1

Reaction score
Visit site

My advice, don't do it.

Yes, he's right. Mine originally came with CBR 1000 clip-ons. There were 2 nuts glued and black elec. taped on the stops located on the triples to insure no tank damage.

If you have to do this you disable your ability to lock the forks with your key though.

The forks had to be raised approx. 1.5 inches for the clip-ons. The geometry changes, more input is needed on the bars to turn.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, he's right. Mine originally came with CBR 1000 clip-ons. There were 2 nuts glued and black elec. taped on the stops located on the triples to insure no tank damage.

If you have to do this you disable your ability to lock the forks with your key though.

The forks had to be raised approx. 1.5 inches for the clip-ons. The geometry changes, more input is needed on the bars to turn.

The fork was raised 1-1/4 inches (32mm) and the fork spacers elongated of 1-5/8 inches (41mm) to recover same ground clearance as original. As well, VFR clip-ons are taller and therefore I have no problem of either hitting the tank or locking the fork with my key. The only 2 problem as of now are:

1. original spring - need the same at 2 inches longer or something like a racetech at 1.1kg/mm (original is of 0.8kg/mm rate) and therefore I can go back to the original fork spacers and keep the original ground clearance again in front and back.

2. The front wheel is now positioned more "inside" the bike which should make the bike turn easier but might loose stability in straight line.

I reckon that the best way to do this mod is to have a longer fork (r1 maybe?) that will stick out of the triple of 1.5 inches at its normal state. This will be the safest way to put clip-ons. Nonetheless, by Monday I have to make some calls and find some proper springs which I do not quite know which are best for what I need to accomplish :( :spank:

Last edited:

wangt86

Reaction score
Visit site
If I mounted the clip ons below the triples would it affect the turning geometry in any way? The bike is going naked so fairing clearance is not an issue but would the tank clearance be another issue?

Last edited:

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site
If I mounted the clip ons below the triples would it affect the turning geometry in any way? The bike is going naked so fairing clearance is not an issue but would the tank clearance be another issue?

I can tell you it will not work. Even with the VFR clipons that are 1 inch taller then CBR that were used previously it does NOT clear the tank without playing with your fork and bike geometry.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
I can tell you it will not work. Even with the VFR clipons that are 1 inch taller then CBR that were used previously it does NOT clear the tank without playing with your fork and bike geometry.

I think wangt86 meant flattening out the clip-ons. Yes, that will make a difference in tank clearance. However, the steering mechanics does change quite a bit (even from the angled clip-ons, which is already a huge change). The bike wants to dive in to the turn more quickly and, in general, steering inputs become much more sensitive.