Clip-Ons and Triple Clamps

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
NICE JOB!!!! I've definitely saved this one to my favorites as another future mod I'll be doing. Bertmoog where abouts in ATL are you? Wouldn't mind meeting up to check it out sometime.

cknatz

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anybody used an R6S triple to do this mod? I purchased one on ebay and it looks like it all lines up just have not tried it.

Last edited:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks very nice man. I bet it turns into turns very aggressive with the forks that high though jeez. :eek: But I guess if you don't know any different then it's all good. :thumbup:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anybody used an R6S triple to do this mod? I purchased one on ebay and it looks like it all lines up just have not tried it

The tree is in fact closer together than the fz6, that is why the R6 fork mod requires shims. The only way it'd work is if you pressed the lower triple off the stem and pressed an R6S lower on the stem as well. I'm not sure that'd even be possible.

I know a few people have talked about trying.. and one guy actually fabbed up a whole set to mount inverted R6 forks. Bottom line is, no it's not a bolt on.. could it be done probably.. anything can be with enough cash I suppose.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
The tree is in fact closer together than the fz6, that is why the R6 fork mod requires shims. The only way it'd work is if you pressed the lower triple off the stem and pressed an R6S lower on the stem as well. I'm not sure that'd even be possible.

I know a few people have talked about trying.. and one guy actually fabbed up a whole set to mount inverted R6 forks. Bottom line is, no it's not a bolt on.. could it be done probably.. anything can be with enough cash I suppose.

And you would have to use R6S forks also.

cknatz

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies!! I jumped the gun on purchasing it with out doing to much digging around. I am going to try to get my hands on another FZ6 upper triple to work the mod.

Anybody need an R6S triple? 40 bucks? Trade for a FZ6 triple?

THANKS!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good... but I'd be worried about 2 things:

1) mechanical integrity of the top triple... I don't know the amount of stresses the top triple can experience during the life of a motorcycle, but it's something to consider, especially now that it has 2 massive holes in it :)...

2) raising the forks like that in the triple... just randomly doing it is not a good idea imo... some info here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-shocks-suspension/forks/

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
2) raising the forks like that in the triple... just randomly doing it is not a good idea imo...

I really would not lower the forks any more than 10mm ... 15mm MAX.

This really affects the handeling a lot.

I would put the clipons below the triple.

Anyhoe, nice work tho. Shiny finish :thumbup:

Last edited:

bertmoog

Yes, I am.
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good... but I'd be worried about 2 things:

1) mechanical integrity of the top triple... I don't know the amount of stresses the top triple can experience during the life of a motorcycle, but it's something to consider, especially now that it has 2 massive holes in it :)...

2) raising the forks like that in the triple... just randomly doing it is not a good idea imo... some info here: Raising Motorcycle Fork Tubes - webBikeWorld

Thanks for your comments brother!

1.) Typically a static object will not wear out due to stress. Obviously something like a spring has a finite life span. Unless you hit a large animal at 50MPH, the clamp will last much longer than your bike will. Essentially all I have done is remove the attachment for the handlebar and those mounting points were already hollow... hence the holes.

2.) I honestly cannot tell a difference but I do not race my bike, I only drive around town (which the shorter wheelbase helps). People that experiment a lot and are racers would probably notice a greater difference than I would though. I typically just adjust my driving to the bike's handling rather than vice versa.

coachestabrook

Reaction score
Visit site
Man thats a tough one.

SOH-CAH-TOA thats how I memorized it.

Apparent it is a rather regular way to do so. After our first test in physics the prof. asked what this SOH thing was, everyone that had taken the test had it wrote somewhere. He thought we were cheating, lol.

-bryan

First off, awesome project. I have always wondered how I could get rid of my my ugly stock handlebar setup. Second, you guys inadvertantly taught me something about trig. I never had to take trig in college, but I am now studying for the certification test to be able to teach 4-8 math. There are questions on that test that included sine/cosine and I didn't have a clue. After looking up SOH-CAH-TOA, I am no longer clueless. THANKS!

Turbomatt99

Very Confused
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like the way that looks but how do those clip-ons sit in terms to height compared to doing LSL streetbars do the clip-ons sit lower even with there 1" riser, I'd like to go as low as posible without hitting the tank on tight turns. and does anyone one know, i just got a new 2009 fz6, is there any major diffrence in the forks or triple clamp i think there the same. though out the years. i know this sounds like a dum questions but my first bike. just want to do it right.

sirxander

sirxander
Reaction score
Visit site
I am currently in the process of converting to the streetfighter look. And I was wondering if I could use 43mm clipon handlebars below the triple; basically like the R6.

Any suggestions as to whether this will work or not?

sirxander

sirxander
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Is there any way to keep it low like that but not hit the tank?

Side Note: Is that a second gen RX7 next to your bike??

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
The only real option I've been able to find is a set of convertibar clipons, but they are pretty pricey. There used to be a company that made 43mm clipons that had a 3.5" rise so you could fit them under the triple without hitting stuff, but they went out of business. There are still clip-ons out there with enough rise, but not in 43mm from what I've been able to find. I've seen people run bigger ones with shims, but its not something I would take a chance with.

And yes it is a 2nd gen RX7, its my fun on four wheels!:D

sirxander

sirxander
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang I really want low aggressive handlebar like the R6. I guess I could have my tank custom fabbed to accomodate the handlebars inward swing. But I guess I will stick with a cheaper alternative for now by going with something above the triple.

Side Note Continued: I also have a second gen RX7 Same color. It is a blast :-D