Click to view thread

S

sm00thpapa

Well I have a cordura jacket and plan on getting cordura pants. Hope they hold up better than textile. Where did you get those knee pads? I had knee surgery already and really need good knee protection.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have a cordura jacket and plan on getting cordura pants. Hope they hold up better than textile. Where did you get those knee pads? I had knee surgery already and really need good knee protection.

i dont know what that is but nothing protects like leather man.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Thanks for sharing the video, glad you were ok.

Happy to have you back, noticed you had been missing for a few days. I must have missed whatever thread was referenced, but I always enjoy your humor, even when I am trying to figure out if it is for real or not :confused:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the video, glad you were ok.

Happy to have you back, noticed you had been missing for a few days. I must have missed whatever thread was referenced, but I always enjoy your humor, even when I am trying to figure out if it is for real or not :confused:

:D

somebody noticed!!

you love me!! you really love me!!!

Yeah I vowed never to come back to the forum. But then my addiction got the better of me.

:p

W

wrightme43

CE approved knee protection?!?! haha.....they must have pretty low standards then. This is the knee-guard:

DSC00108.jpg

I was wearing these underneath they are made of hard plastic and really saved my knee from any injury. Pants were useless:

2005_Icon_Field_Armor_Knee_Shin_Black.jpg

As for the textile itself...you all saw the video I wasnt on the asphalt for very long and look at what happened to it. Would hated to have slid on the stuff with the back of my legs or something:

I put a piece of paper in the tear on the first one to make it more visible. The black stuff behind the tear is the wind proof layer. The slide-resistant part is torn away like a piece of paper. DONT BUY TEXTILES!!!

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00104.jpg

DSC00103.jpg
Thanks man. That is crazy. I crashed in kevlar lined jeans that held up much much better than that in longer slide. I still wear them. That is just wierd that they didnt do any better. Do you think maybe the hard armor behind them caused them to wear away like that, or was it just a cheap grade of textile? Do you know what cordura number it was? Like 600 or 1000?

Seriously man I slide just as far on my ass and elbow and the leather jacket was more damaged than the jeans. Just a tiny hole and then the kevlar was on the pavement. I felt alot of heat but not a scratch. Was the bike on your leg for a while?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks man. That is crazy. I crashed in kevlar lined jeans that held up much much better than that in longer slide. I still wear them. That is just wierd that they didnt do any better. Do you think maybe the hard armor behind them caused them to wear away like that, or was it just a cheap grade of textile? Do you know what cordura number it was? Like 600 or 1000?

Seriously man I slide just as far on my ass and elbow and the leather jacket was more damaged than the jeans. Just a tiny hole and then the kevlar was on the pavement. I felt alot of heat but not a scratch. Was the bike on your leg for a while?

the textile was pretty much as high grade as it gets in terms of thickness etc. I was shocked it did as poorly as it did. I dont think the knee pads underneath did anything to it they are very smooth even though they are made of a plastic/rubbery compound.

Maybe it had to do with impact or something tearing it instead of friction burning through it. Either way in a motorcycle crash sequence very little is a controlled environment. So, short version is you are not safe in textile in my opinion. Sure in some ideal situation textile is better than nothing at all. In mine it was the same as nothing at all I think.

bike wasnt on my leg for that long. as you see in the video it slid away from me. I didnt think to release from the handlebars but im happy I did. In my failed wheelie attempt (if you recall) from my first few months of riding I didnt let go of the bars. lol.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ouch! never feelks nice, falling over, glad your ok, and sounds like you learnt from the experience...can attest to the dangers of cold tyres at the track myself!

:thumbup:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are OK, looks like you had fun anyway. What track is that? Where is it? What's the charge for a track day?

Good field test for the textile, amazing how poorly it held up in the drop. I've been toying with the idea of getting leathers, this pushes me a little more in that direction. Thanks, great thread.