Cleaning the rear wheel

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My rear wheel gets pretty dirty especially on the left side from the chain.
I use the Wax kind of lube for o-rings, so after a while the left side of the rim has an almost consistent mate layer of hardened crap that looks dirty & blocks the shine of the original rim finish.

The way I clean it is with a 3M dish scrub sponge (yellow/green) and I use household cleaner without bleach.
With the bike on the center stand I moist everything well with the sponge in the beginning & then I work my way around each side with the scrub side of the sponge.
It takes about 1 hour (at least 45 min for left side alone), is not easy, a good work out, and that’s only for the rear wheel! (front wheel is much easier to clean, it just need to be washed, no scrub, nothing)
But the rear wheel comes out like new after that.

The dish scrub I found to be not to rough so it won’t scratch the rims.
The reason I’m not using a Wheel Cleaner (from Auto Parts store) is that once I almost ruined a wheel on my BMW car using one of those special rim cleaner (Turtle Wax something) – it peeled off the clear finish of the OEM alloy wheel! :eek:
Also my friend cleaned the rear wheel on his Ninja using some other similar product for cleaning wheels, and the paint started to come off, terrible! :jawdrop:

The downside is that the common household cleaner doesn’t have the strength to dissolve the harden chain crap from the wheel too fast, so is taking longer & with much more effort.

Is any better way to clean the rear wheel? (except in the bathtub!)
Do you guys use some other product that helps dissolving that harden chain residue without damaging the paint on the wheels?
I’m thinking maybe using some polish product will help. Anyone knows?

How can I clean that dammed rear wheel faster?

Thanks,
razteo

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I spray a rag with WD-40 and wipe the wheels. It works really great! and it dries up pretty fast. The WD-40 re-emulsifies the lubricants that get on the rim and it come right off with out harm to the finish. They have that new spray can that has a flip up straw that stays with the nozzle.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
About the only thing WD-40 is good for is a cleaner. Put some on a rag and wipe it onto the rim and clean it off.

If that doesn't work, use Simple Green. That stuff will take the white off rice.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple Green, full strength, will take all of that crap off. WD-40 will do the same and leave a nice shine :)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
By far, the best rear wheel cleaner I have found (for chain wax in particular) is just about any kind of liquid car wax. By a cheap bottle and put a fairly big dollop on a rag, and rub that into the grunge on your wheel.

The same solvents that keep the wax liquified in the bottle, will dissolve the dried on wax and make it back into a liquid.

The cool part, is you leave a layer of shiny new wax behind. Put it on pretty heavy, let it soak for 5-10 seconds, then rub at it with the rag. When you get all the sticky stuff off the rim, change to a clean part of the rag, and buff it out.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
the wheels on the FZ are far different from your BMW.

powdercoating is beyond durable and no solvents available to any consumer are strong enough to touch it.

your BMW was either clearcoated which could be dulled or eaten or it was bare aluminum/steel in which a wheel acid would etch itself showing a hazyness/water marks.

if its taking you an hour to clean your wheel, I would look into using a MUCH stronger solvent or acid. (most wheel cleaners are acidic and that is the way they clean brake dust and grime so easy)

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I use kerosene to clean my wheels. I use it to do the chain and use some of the left over to get the wheels while i'm at it.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon it's simple, take the wheel out....it's not hard.

First get some spray on degreaser, give the dry wheel a good soaking, then a quick scrub with a soft brush, hose, off, repeat, wipe down with a coarse grade cotton cloth, apply a thin coat of wax, rub in, wipe off with a microfibre cotton cloth...hey presto, clean and shiny wheel....

Unless the wheel is polished, and then the polishing bit takes a bit longer...like an hour longer! and there is no quick way to do that...just good ol elbow grease!

And while you have the wheel out, give your axle, and spacers, a decent re-grease, remove the cush drive and sprocket, and clean the sprocket as well, you will end up with something that looks like this...

View attachment 25671

View attachment 25672

:thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried using mineral spirits? That stuff is amazing at cutting grease. I use it to mop up spills on my garage floor. I am really reluctant to use on the finished surface of the wheel.. tempted but reluctant. So has anyone tried it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried using mineral spirits? That stuff is amazing at cutting grease. I use it to mop up spills on my garage floor. I am really reluctant to use on the finished surface of the wheel.. tempted but reluctant. So has anyone tried it?

Yes you can use mineral spirits on a factory finished wheel but do not use stuff like, laquer thinner, acetone. You can use enamel reducer, kerosene, Goo Gone and there are many chemicals out there you can and can't use as well as a few cleaners. Of course it is important not to get stuff on the tire. Rubbers don't like certain chemicals and can break down or change properties and that rubber is your friend....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon it's simple, take the wheel out....it's not hard.

First get some spray on degreaser, give the dry wheel a good soaking, then a quick scrub with a soft brush, hose, off, repeat, wipe down with a coarse grade cotton cloth, apply a thin coat of wax, rub in, wipe off with a microfibre cotton cloth...hey presto, clean and shiny wheel....

Unless the wheel is polished, and then the polishing bit takes a bit longer...like an hour longer! and there is no quick way to do that...just good ol elbow grease!

And while you have the wheel out, give your axle, and spacers, a decent re-grease, remove the cush drive and sprocket, and clean the sprocket as well, you will end up with something that looks like this...

View attachment 25671

View attachment 25672

Show off! :Flip: And look! Polished rims and wave rotors!! :rockon:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I've had good luck with [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gunk-EB1-Engine-Original-Degreaser/dp/B000630ICQ"]Gunk Engine Brite[/ame] on my rear wheel, spray-on brake cleaner, as well as WD40 like others have said.

I always try to minimize chemical contact with the tire, since some of the cleaners negatively affect rubber like others have mentioned.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had good luck with Gunk Engine Brite on my rear wheel, spray-on brake cleaner, as well as WD40 like others have said.

I always try to minimize chemical contact with the tire, since some of the cleaners negatively affect rubber like others have mentioned.

Don't use brake cleaning products cuz they can bite the finish and dull it. Powder coating is more resistive to certain solvents but will get bitten by harsher solvents like Brake Klean etc...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Show off! :Flip: And look! Polished rims and wave rotors!! :rockon:

You forgot to mention the GYTR +2 520 rear sprocket, which i just loooove in gold!! :D:D

And as for the polished rims...love em, but by god, they are a lot of work to maintain to a decent standard!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone's got their thing I guess.

I suggest using BelRay Chain Lube for a start. It does not fling onto the rim in any quantity worth mentioning. You may have to use more of it than chain wax (a product I used to use also, and find pretty close to chain lube in performance) but not by much. Using the tube provided, I spray directly into the slot with the 'O'rings in it for a full revolution of the chain while holding a rag underneath near the front of the swingarm. I then spray the rollers, with the rag still undrerneath. Then move to the rear of the bike and spray the outside of the 'O'rings and rollers at the rear sprocket. This stops the sides of your chain turning white, and protects the 'O'rings as well. My last chain on the FZ6 I ran for 44,000km or so and it only had 1 frozen link and didn't look worn at all....either did the sprockets. Changed it because the manual said to at 40,000km....lol. I certainly wasn't gentle about how I rode the bike either...lol...and in all weather.:rockon:

I use Innox, which is a mild version of WD40, or CRC and wipe the rim with it. It gets dusty quickly as the dust sticks to the Innox, but when it comes time to clean the rim........Nothing sticks:cheer:.

If you can raise the bike on a race stand or similar, hold a rag sprayed with Innox so that your longest finger is pushing it into the raised ridge round the centre of the rim and holding the rag down against the contours of the rim with the rest of your fingers and the edge of your hand, while sitting on your rump behind the bike. Hold your thumb against the side of the rim as well. Now turn the rim with the other hand. Repeat for the other side.:thumbup:

Sitting on a small stool, clean each "spoke" by turning the rim so that it's easy to grab and with a full grip around it....give it a wan.......well...you know what to do. A quick wipe in the "valleys" between each "spoke" and you're ready for the next step.:thumbup:

Using a nice long rag, again sprayed with Innox loop it around the hub and give it a shoe shine polish from both sides of the bike. Turn the rim partway about three times to get complete coverage.:thumbup:

You're done:D. 10 minutes:cheer:. The rim will be sparkling. Also if you go somewhere and want to show off your machine or get some pics, all you need is a rag and a quick wipe of your Innoxed rim will bring it up sparkling again for you photo shoot.:thumbup:

This has been another quality ozzieboy waffle-sesh:BLAA:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with the camp that uses WD-40. That stuff works really good for a lot of things. While you're there cleaning the wheel, clean off the sprocket (from excess chain wax) and clean the sprocket bolts so they are silver again. I spray a little WD-40 on each bolt, wait a minute and then use a detailing brush to agitate the hardened grease; next wipe off and repeat -- the second time, you needn't wait as long.

If you clean your wheels often enough, there won't be as much buildup. Those of us with a obsessive compulsive disorder do not have this problem because after one little splatter of oil, we're out there cleaning :D.

When I'm really into cleaning the wheels, the best way is to do the WD-40 thing and then wash the bike (and wheels) with soap and water.

I don't like the Kerosene thing because I don't use Kerosene for anything else and (at least to me) it stinks. I'm sure it's a great de-greaser. WD-40 smells nice and comes in a colorful :D spray can -- does Kerosene come that way?

Dennis