Clattering front end...

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 FZ6. Since taking her out of storage about a month back (I just recently got back from a mission to Haiti) :canada: I have noticed that on hard acceleration the front end feels like it 'clatters'. It sort of feels like how I imagine riding a horse would feel like (after riding a bike, I don't know how anyone could/would want to ride a horse though). Occasionally the front end will feel the same way when I ride over cracked/broken pavement. What could this be caused by? :don'tknow: Steering bearings? Bad fork seals? I have put brand new tires on since pulling her out (Michelin Pilot Road2's), so I don't think it's a balance issue, and it was doing this prior to the new rubber besides.

Thanks in advance. :Sport:

I have an '05 FZ6. Since taking her out of storage about a month back (I just recently got back from a mission to Haiti) :canada: I have noticed that on hard acceleration the front end feels like it 'clatters'. It sort of feels like how I imagine riding a horse would feel like (after riding a bike, I don't know how anyone could/would want to ride a horse though). Occasionally the front end will feel the same way when I ride over cracked/broken pavement. What could this be caused by? :don'tknow: Steering bearings? Bad fork seals? I have put brand new tires on since pulling her out (Michelin Pilot Road2's), so I don't think it's a balance issue, and it was doing this prior to the new rubber besides.

Thanks in advance. :Sport:

Put it on the center stand, and see if you can get any movement out of the fork. Push and pull the front wheel when it's elevated above the ground. Do the same side to side. ANY play at all, is bad. The steering head bearings would be suspect.

You also need to check how freely the steering goes side to side, full lock left to right. You are looking for dents in the bearing races on this one. If it's 'notchy' or hesitates at any point in the 'sweep'.... the races are dented and need to be replaced.

As you have replaced the rubber, it's not likely to be tire related.

If it were fork seal related, you would see oil leaking onto your fork legs. the damping would also be even worse than typical.

This may be a dumb follow on question, but with the bike on the center stand, how do I check the play in the front fork/wheel assembly? :confused: As it will still be on the ground...?

This may be a dumb follow on question, but with the bike on the center stand, how do I check the play in the front fork/wheel assembly? :confused: As it will still be on the ground...?

Have someone push down on the back of the seat. that will 'raise' the front wheel a few inches above the pavement. Even having someone lean on their elbows on the seat is enough.:thumbup:

Push and pull the front wheel when it's elevated above the ground. Do the same side to side. ANY play at all, is bad. The steering head bearings would be suspect.

So I have forward and back play in the front end that is definitely noticeable. It's hard to say if there is any side to side play, as I had my fiance hold the bike, and she's kinda tiny. I checked the sweep as well, and it feels good. No 'notchy' feeling.

So... safe to assume that it's steering bearings? I've priced out and am thinking of going with All Ballz bearings, and I'll probably get the shop to do the fork seals and sweeps as well, since they'll have the front end off anyways.

So I have forward and back play in the front end that is definitely noticeable. It's hard to say if there is any side to side play, as I had my fiance hold the bike, and she's kinda tiny. I checked the sweep as well, and it feels good. No 'notchy' feeling.

So... safe to assume that it's steering bearings? I've priced out and am thinking of going with All Ballz bearings, and I'll probably get the shop to do the fork seals and sweeps as well, since they'll have the front end off anyways.

If they do the bearings, they'll take care of it all. The notchy feeling comes about when someone wheelies the bike a lot, and slams it back to earth. Fore/Aft, side to side, that's all to check and see if a gap has developed between the bearings and the races they run on. If there is sufficient wear to develop a gap... it's just a whole lot simpler to replace the bearings.... they're dying anyway.

I tend to do what's required only, rather than all inclusive. If you see no excessive weeping oil on the fork legs, they are almost certainly still 'good'. As they would have the legs off the bike, certainly replacing the fork oil with fresh stuff would be wise.... as would replacing the OEM springs with a proper set of boingers. If you spend the money on springs that you would have spent on seals, you'll see an immediate improvement in your bike's handling.

Chances are it's the steering bearings.

I had problems with mine, with only 3,500 km on the original bearings. The front end would clunk when going over a speed bump. The play in the bearings also made the front end feel rather strange, in that the front tire, always felt like is was losing traction around corners. It was rather unnerving, and it is so much better with new bearings.

I wish I had asked the dealer to keep the old bearings so I could see how they looked, but I was told they were a rusty mess. Apparently there are issues with original bearings with not enough grease and poor seals.

Steering head bearings for sure.... 2005 has cheap ball bearings :( why ?? I dont know..... Rip those cheapies out and replace with new roller bearings , you'll be amazed by the difference.... I know i was :D

Gonna replace the bearings with a set of All Balls PN 22-1004. Awesome bearings, plus you get a cool sticker! :rockon:

replacing the OEM springs with a proper set of boingers. If you spend the money on springs that you would have spent on seals, you'll see an immediate improvement in your bike's handling.

Was checking out some different springs. What are your thoughts on Rising Rate Springs? Overkill?

Back