Chile Run

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Decided to head south for the weekend to meet up with my girlfriend and 2 wonderful friends in Taos which made a convenient meeting point. They live up on the mesa off the grid outside of town. 5 miles of pretty rough unmaintained roads to get there. Was a little occupied keeping the FZ6 upright, so no pics of the "roads". A few flip phone pics:

Went UFO hunting, got tag soup.

5eHLSM4.jpg

0Kytb2m.jpg

Grabbed a smothered burger for lunch in Alamosa.

vMRn00m.jpg

1OxCHYn.jpg

Officially entering chile country.

8tIDIld.jpg

Haze from the fires readily visible.

mqbzYBv.jpg

Is it Christmas already?

74pvMkB.jpg

Took the F650 and the XT350 for some mesa exploration. I hadn't rode dirt in awhile so it took a little getting used to the 4" of sand on top of everything. Had to learn to really trust that front tire and give her throttle and let the rear end just do whatever it wanted to do.

fcCkhhQ.jpg

Charlie highsides and goes flying. Wedges the F bike pretty good into the bushes, but he's fine. Reminded me of pulling out a stuck snowmobile.

hhwfvhp.jpg

Bd8T63b.jpg

Nice sunset, then I cooked up a great meal of blue cornmeal and red chile dredged pan fried elk tenderloin from Charlie's harvest last season with spaghetti squash with dill and zucchini from my girls garden in AZ. Sorry no pics, eating.

xiRGlFM.jpg

Charlie's beer run whip(he also has a k bike for touring).

VAvDAId.jpg

A sign of things to come for the ride home.

dIsfSE2.jpg

Fifty mile an hour cross winds and rain the whole way to Leadville and then I got on the hammer home. Totally exhausted from the long windy wet straights. About 600 miles round trip.

ib44Agi.jpg

Burger and hotdog in a rare donut hole in the weather in Buena Vista.

pSeRcUk.jpg

9H3npAI.jpg

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aw damn, you just got me heartbroken homesick, and I haven't lived in NM (Albuquerque) since '92.
Taos is a special place. I don't experience the "hum" that so many do, but it does give me a weird feeling (the SD Black Hills do the same to me). I had to give up green chile cold turkey when I was stationed in North Dakota, but since moving to utard I've been able to find sources most years (this year's bushel is almost gone, c'mon August!)
Thanks again for all the photos, I need to get down there again! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you live in Leadville? Husband & I were thinking of riding up there this week just to stay at the Delaware.
Last year while in Taos, I had a margarita in a little bar/restaurant, 1 drink, it kicked my a$$. I'm such a weenie when it comes to alcohol!

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Minturn, a couple few twisties away. If you need any Pb intel I'd be glad to offer up. Had 2 Melanzana layers on for the ride home to stay warm.

Please hit me up if you are coming through.

All the best.