Checking your oil....

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I don't know if this has been suggested before, but here it goes. The bike is supposed to be level when you check the oil, the only problem is how to hold it level while checking. What I did: get on the side of the bike with the dip stick... so now there are two dipsticks on that side in my case:BLAA:. I am trying to balance the bike and I look down and see the other leg of the center stand, so I push it down just enough to contact the floor with my left foot. I also left the kick stand down on the other side to prevent tip over that way. Level bike, no worries about tipping over. I know it sounds incredibly stupid, but it worked well for me.

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
That actually lifts the tire off, IDK if this makes a big difference, but its not as level front to back then.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once I knew the oil level was correct after checking warm, I do the following:

Park the bike in its regular spot in the garage(on the side stand). The next day or so, dead cold, do not move the bike, check the dipstick. In my case, the cold oil height is about 1/3 the way up the stick. No muss no fuss or guessing..

Re the centerstand, the owners manual calls for checking on the centerstand if equipped...

You can check it on both wheels(if not equipped with a centerstand), the 1" difference is negligible, the potential side to side angle can change your level.

Do a search, its been discussed many times... :thumbup:

250lemans

Reaction score
Visit site
before my motorcycle stands days, i used some 2x8's under the pegs or jack stands somewhere on the frame, worked well no balancing needed

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually just sit on the bike and check it that way. Works for me. That's how I fill the gas tank as well.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you fill the crankcase correctly and do not overfill, the difference between the center stand and both wheels on the ground is irrelevant. If it shows low on the center stand it will not show full on 2 wheels.