Check Your Tire Pressure!!

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a reminder to check the air pressure in your tires, I did for the first time since it started to get cold out.

Mine where:

20 PSI front (1.4 kgcm2)

30 PSI back (2.1 kgcm2)

way to low for my qualifiers... I have been complaining all week that my traction was crappy or my bike wasn't feeling right. Then it hit me "oh I need to check the air in my tires..."

so....

Monkey see

monkey do

If you haven't already then I urge you to go check your tires... you'll thank me later :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Just a reminder to check the air pressure in your tires, I did for the first time since it started to get cold out.

Mine where:

20 PSI front (1.4 kgcm2)

30 PSI back (2.1 kgcm2)

way to low for my qualifiers... I have been complaining all week that my traction was crappy or my bike wasn't feeling right. Then it hit me \"oh I need to check the air in my tires...\"

so....

Monkey see

monkey do

If you haven't already then I urge you to go check your tires... you'll thank me later :thumbup:

Do you have valve caps? Did you know that the spin on your tires actually can press valve cores open enough to let air leak past?

+1 on checking the air pressure alot!!! The tires are the only thing that can transmit your desires to the road. LOL

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have valve caps? Did you know that the spin on your tires actually can press valve cores open enough to let air leak past?

+1 on checking the air pressure alot!!! The tires are the only thing that can transmit your desires to the road. LOL

Dang!!!! I never heard that before, but yes I do have both valve caps.

thanks

motodude

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good tire pressure gauge?
I got plenty of cheep ones (the spring up kind) that tend to give a different reading every time I use it. I also have a digital one that lacks a working LCD.

W

wrightme43

Dang!!!! I never heard that before, but yes I do have both valve caps.

thanks

Good. Its a good idea to check them for tightness weekly, and to check the valve core in the stem monthly.

Just one more thing to keep a close eye on.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good tire pressure gauge?
I got plenty of cheep ones (the spring up kind) that tend to give a different reading every time I use it. I also have a digital one that lacks a working LCD.

Here ya go: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Gage-swivel-Rubber-Handheld-Scrapers/dp/B000643VR4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-7226133-7212437?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1223689968&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Accu-Gage 60 PSI w/swivel chuck & FREE Rubber Boot & (2) FREE Handheld Ice Scrapers: Automotive[/ame]

or...[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Accu-gage-Tire-Pressure-Guage-Range/dp/B00070KA5I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7/105-7226133-7212437?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1223689968&sr=8-7"]http://www.amazon.com/Accu-gage-Tire-Pressure-Guage-Range/dp/B00070KA5I/ref=pd_bbs_sr_7/105-7226133-7212437?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1223689968&sr=8-7[/ame]

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scab. I seem to end up with cheapo gauges. Think I'll go shopping for a new gauge and boost the economy.

My father found somewhere a nice bar style gauge that is only about 3 inches long. Nice and compact with a pocket clip so he keeps on the bike all the time. Not sure where he found it though.

Also for putting air in the tires, I would recommend this.

Northern Industrial Tire Inflater With Gauge — 12in. Hose, 1/4in. Inlet | Air Chucks + Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment

Dad picked one up at walmart for around the same price. Its the stuff! It makes putting air in the tires around those dual calipers that much easier. Just lock it on and adjust it to where you want it. There is a small button to let air out as well. So much easier with that tool!

-bryan

F

formula154

The tires can be low and not look low since the bike only weighs about 350 LB. When you are on the bike you can't see the tires. I have some valve covers that show green if the pressure is over 31 psi and clear if they are equal to or less than 31.They are supposed to be accurate to +/- 1 to 2 psi. which is probably as good as a guage. All I have to do is look at the valve stem covers before I ride to know that I have at least 32 psi.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to concur---the air pressure seems to drop in our tires faster than one might think. I also found this out the first time I checked. Best to check before rolling, and then again at service station (if you don't have your own air) to make sure you're not taking a warm temp reading.

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep! on our ride yesterday at a stop sign I asked hubby if my back tire was flat...felt like I was "falling off" my back tire. (bike was mushy side to side) Hubby said, nope, looks fine. I pulled off at the next gas station...sure enough had 20psi in the back and 28psi in the front. This is the second time this year they've been that low, normally after sitting for an extended period of time due to weather (2 weeks)

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
My father found somewhere a nice bar style gauge that is only about 3 inches long. Nice and compact with a pocket clip so he keeps on the bike all the time. Not sure where he found it though.

Also for putting air in the tires, I would recommend this.

Northern Industrial Tire Inflater With Gauge — 12in. Hose, 1/4in. Inlet | Air Chucks + Gauges | Northern Tool + Equipment

Dad picked one up at walmart for around the same price. Its the stuff! It makes putting air in the tires around those dual calipers that much easier. Just lock it on and adjust it to where you want it. There is a small button to let air out as well. So much easier with that tool!

-bryan

I've got the same inflater/gauge best money spent:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The change in seasons has a lot to do with it too. As the weather gets colder, the air gets denser and as a result you have less air pressure in the tire.

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I check my tires about every week. I usually put 36psi front and 42psi back. Now that the weather gets colder after a week of riding i can see 3-4 psi down on both tires. Summer was 2-3 psi down. As hellgate allready said, the outter temp affects tire pressure too. The first time i checked my tires were 20 front 26 back :eek: and since then i check them every week or every 2nd fill up on the tank.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
The tires can be low and not look low since the bike only weighs about 350 LB. When you are on the bike you can't see the tires. I have some valve covers that show green if the pressure is over 31 psi and clear if they are equal to or less than 31.They are supposed to be accurate to +/- 1 to 2 psi. which is probably as good as a guage. All I have to do is look at the valve stem covers before I ride to know that I have at least 32 psi.

any link where I might find some of these caps?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Follow-up thoughts. I was pretty close to ordering a bunch of these for all of my 4-wheel and 2-wheel vehicles. Then I read a little more and came to understand that for these things to work, the pressure seal has to move from the valve stem core (i.e. the thing that is designed to keep the air in) to an o-ring between the cap and the stem. This may not be a big deal, but I guess I decided that it would be better to leave the seal where it is designed to go and check the pressure often. Am I being too conservative (or anal as those who know me would say)?