Cheap Idea for Protecting Your Paint

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

So I'm used to thinking "out of the box" and was trying to come up with an idea to protect the paint on my spanky new '08 without spending any money. A friend of mine mentioned a clear film that applied like window tint which got me thinking...

So I went to the local auto parts store, then the local giant retailer and finally found what I was looking for. 20% static cling window tint. I know it's one of the tell-tale signs of an idiot to see this stuff on actual car windows, but it makes sense as a paint protectant. Here's why: it's cheap, it's flexible, and it comes in a roll that would cover every painted surface at least three times over. I spent about 20 minutes and got decent results. No bubbles, and every vulnerable surface covered. If it gets worn out I can simply peel it off and add a new layer.

Yay me!!!:cheer:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

So I'm used to thinking \"out of the box\" and was trying to come up with an idea to protect the paint on my spanky new '08 without spending any money. A friend of mine mentioned a clear film that applied like window tint which got me thinking...

So I went to the local auto parts store, then the local giant retailer and finally found what I was looking for. 20% static cling window tint. I know it's one of the tell-tale signs of an idiot to see this stuff on actual car windows, but it makes sense as a paint protectant. Here's why: it's cheap, it's flexible, and it comes in a roll that would cover every painted surface at least three times over. I spent about 20 minutes and got decent results. No bubbles, and every vulnerable surface covered. If it gets worn out I can simply peel it off and add a new layer.

Yay me!!!:cheer:

Pretty cool. Nice that you always think "outside he box", but in this case it was your friend who came up with the idea, so yay him :D :Flip:

Anyway, we will need pics my friend.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
You know...I'm kinda diggin' how my paint is going to wear out. I'll get the opportunity to repaint it myself...a new custom color or something. It'll be awesome. Beat down sun...beat down...white fz6 with red striping here i come lol...this isn't to say I don't wax my fz every month and wash it every 2 weeks and garage it every night ;) she's still my baby!

anyways, just my 2c

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever had to take that type of tint off a window? Leaves all sorts of gunk you have to scrape off - hope your happy with that trim job :p I'd also be worried about the tint's adhesive backing - its made for glass (which is pretty much impervious) what if it eats through the clear coat?

+1 on the tankslapper. Its cheap, has no adhesives (static cling) and you can easily remove it and reapply it if needed. I sprung for the full protection kit because of all the gravel and bugs out here so I've got the thicker 3m covering on the front fairing and the pieces covering the rear cowling since I'm always worried about scratching it swinging my leg over.

Edit: The 3m bits of the kit for the front do have adhesive but its made to adhere to paint.

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
my brother found a clear stretchable plastic for his truck. it reminds me of carpet tape. it is a huge sheet and you can barely tell it is there (mostly by feel rather than color change). I also saw something similar on tv the other day, but it was WAY more expensive.

BTW, I agree with letting it get a few scuffs and scratches for character. If it gets too bad, paint it and have fun. Some of you are starting to remind me of my neighbor who has had his cruiser for 6 years and it has 2300 miles on it.

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There must have been some confusion about what I'm using...

It's STATIC CLING window tint, not the real stuff. Anyway, I do like the idea of the tank slapper, but I didn't know about it and the package of static window tint was about $13 at Wal Mart. Once I park the bike for the winter maybe I'll get bored and do a better trim job :)