changing tire question

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I was at Harbor Freight and saw a motorcycle tire bead breaker.
It was on the small side and cost $20..
Wondering if anyone here has used one and if it works ok?.
They also had a motorcycle tire balance r for $49..
Was wondering about it also.
I think I can make a balance r on the cheap.
Really would like to get the low down on the bead breaker.
Getting tired of paying high prices for mount and balance.

While i`m picking brains, where is a good place online to purchase tires at reasonable prices and ship only quality tires?.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got the whole harbor freight setup minus the balancer and it paid for itself after the first use id say. It works great i have no complaints

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got the whole harbor freight setup minus the balancer and it paid for itself after the first use id say. It works great i have no complaints

Thanks but, what do you mean by "whole set up"?.
Do you install new tires with the bead breaker and simple tire irons?.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks but, what do you mean by "whole set up"?.
Do you install new tires with the bead breaker and simple tire irons?.

Na when i say i.have the whole set up i mean i have their tire changer that has a attached bead breaker.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there has been a few threads about the dyna beads, looks pretty tempting. Prob going to try it on the next set of shoes:thumbup:

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
What the heck are TIRE BEADS lol...

EDIT: I have never looked into balancing my own wheels. I don't get it. How do they balance the wheels?

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I was at Harbor Freight and saw a motorcycle tire bead breaker.
It was on the small side and cost $20..
Wondering if anyone here has used one and if it works ok?.
They also had a motorcycle tire balance r for $49..
Was wondering about it also.
I think I can make a balance r on the cheap.
Really would like to get the low down on the bead breaker.
Getting tired of paying high prices for mount and balance.

While i`m picking brains, where is a good place online to purchase tires at reasonable prices and ship only quality tires?.

By the way i also made my own "wheel balancer" ill take pics when i get home but super easy to make

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the entire Harbor Freight tire changers with motorcycle tire attachment, looks like this:

240290693-M.jpg

Then you ABSOLUTELY need a nylon tipped changing tool like this:
4_no_mar_tire_changing_tool_120.jpg

without it you will absolutely destroy the rim of your aluminum wheels. This tool pays for itself the first time you change a tire.

DO NOT USE TIRE IRONS, you will frustrate yourself beyond believe, especially after you gouge the rim edge a couple times!

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
What the heck are TIRE BEADS lol...

EDIT: I have never looked into balancing my own wheels. I don't get it. How do they balance the wheels?

It's the part of the tire that sit on the wheel. Some call it bead lock... When you try to pull the tire off the rim you need to push that part of the tire (bead) into the rim groove, usually the smallest diameter of the wheel. So now you know why the inside of a wheel is not flat or same diameter. The only purpose of that is to put the tire on & off. If you didn't have that you will need to slip the rim in 1/2. Just like go kart tires. Some dirt track race car have bead lock. The outside of the rim have a ring that go over the bead and get bolted in place. (like a big sandwich) It keep the tire on the rim since they run very low pressure and go sideways 3/4 of the track... :thumbup:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the part of the tire that sit on the wheel. Some call it bead lock... When you try to pull the tire off the rim you need to push that part of the tire (bead) into the rim groove, usually the smallest diameter of the wheel. So now you know why the inside of a wheel is not flat or same diameter. The only purpose of that is to put the tire on & off. If you didn't have that you will need to slip the rim in 1/2. Just like go kart tires. Some dirt track race car have bead lock. The outside of the rim have a ring that go over the bead and get bolted in place. (like a big sandwich) It keep the tire on the rim since they run very low pressure and go sideways 3/4 of the track... :thumbup:

Pardon my intrusion but, I think they are talking about tire "balancing" beads that are placed inside the tire to balance it.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pardon my intrusion but, I think they are talking about tire "balancing" beads that are placed inside the tire to balance it.

Yeah, they're talking about both, really. Tires have a wire on each side that keeps it anchored in the lip of the rim. For some reason that edge of the tire with the wire on it is called a bead. Also these dyna beads are now on the market, which are actual spherical beads that roll around inside the tire to automatically balance it. They're not great for wide, low-profile sportscar tires, but for trucks and motorcycles they should work, in principle. I just got a new tire with some and so far I'm not impressed. It may just be that this tire is farther out of balance than the quantity of beads installed can compensate for. I'm withholding judgement for now, bit so far I have tire out of balance noise on a bike for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about installing my own tires as well. With regards to balancing I saw a product called Dyna Beads, has anyone tried this product and what's your experience with it?
Here's a link: Welcome to www.dynabeads.net

I just use a step ladder (lying on it's side) method with the wheel spinning freely... I use stick on weights to balance....

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the entire Harbor Freight tire changers with motorcycle tire attachment, looks like this:

Then you ABSOLUTELY need a nylon tipped changing tool like this:

without it you will absolutely destroy the rim of your aluminum wheels. This tool pays for itself the first time you change a tire.

DO NOT USE TIRE IRONS, you will frustrate yourself beyond believe, especially after you gouge the rim edge a couple times!

actually... YMMV

I use the bottom edge of my shed, a long 2x4 and a second short length of 2x4 to break the bead (similar to IMG1 below.) If I'm not saving the tire I simply cut it off with a hack saw.

I use two large c-clamps, tire irons and WD40 to install fresh tires and I never scratch or bend my rims. I fold cut up sections of plastic milk jug in half to use as rim protectors.

I really want to try this method at some point in the future... ADV - tool free tire install

IMG1
attachment.php

Honestly, after just a few changes at home I'm as quick with my $15-20 setup as people with $500 No-Mar changers bolted to their garage floors.

On the other hand... It takes me hours and lots of swearing and blood to mount tube tires for some reason...

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
actually... YMMV

I use the bottom edge of my shed, a long 2x4 and a second short length of 2x4 to break the bead (similar to IMG1 below.) If I'm not saving the tire I simply cut it off with a hack saw.

I use two large c-clamps, tire irons and WD40 to install fresh tires and I never scratch or bend my rims. I fold cut up sections of plastic milk jug in half to use as rim protectors.

I really want to try this method at some point in the future... ADV - tool free tire install

IMG1
attachment.php

Honestly, after just a few changes at home I'm as quick with my $15-20 setup as people with $500 No-Mar changers bolted to their garage floors.

On the other hand... It takes me hours and lots of swearing and blood to mount tube tires for some reason...

That method using lashing straps to compress the tire is pretty cool! :thumbup:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
actually... YMMV

IMG1
attachment.php

That is cool.
Makes me want to give it a try.