Balancing Brake Caliper when hanging wheel

mett248

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the process of changing my rims from getting a new set of tires on, and am having a hard time balancing the caliper with the rotor. When I spin the wheel, there is minor scrape between the pads and caliper every part turn making an occasional high pitched squeak. How can I balance the caliper (or wheel axel and tire) so everything is aligned?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the wheel is on the right direction and all of the wheel spacers are present the axle positions one side by drawing it together at the specified torque.

Not all agree here but I pull the forks together and tighten the pinch bolts. Install calipers and verify calipers are centered if S2 and verify the S1's float and center as needed. The caliper should not touch the rotor, just the pads.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Front, Back?

If the front wheel, follow the factory instructions from page 4-9, S2 shop manual:
Tighten the axle FIRST(as directed below), and then LATER tighten the pinch bolt WITHOUT pushing the fork legs together.

The legs should NOT be pushed inwards, they should be at their "natural state":

Pay attention to the highlighted CAUTION per the Yamaha shop manual:

If your issue is the rear wheel, make sure the rear brake bracket is in the slot on the swing arm:

Last edited:

mett248

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned my lesson of needing a torque wrench because The smaller of the two bolts snapped that holds the caliper to piece 1 on the figure above. It's on order at the moment. No big deal though. We're talking rear brake here but front is applicable too potentially after changing the front tire. Everything's fine otherwise, it's just making sure everything is lined up so the rotor doesn't hit the pads and create a faint noise.

mett248

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the tab in and lined up not a problem. I replaced the axel in the way it was taken off. i pushed the axel all the way onto the bolt like spacers which adjust to change where the axel is. The piece in the diagram (1) seemed to position itself on the slot, so I bolted the caliper down to it. I think the squeak is either coming from the axel being not totally straight and the pads rubbing on the caliper, or, the pads not being positioned properly?