Changing out the stock bars.

crazybrother

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guy's has anybody changed out your stock handlebars?? And what did you put on?? Pic's would be nice:rockon: Thanks.

Hey guy's has anybody changed out your stock handlebars?? And what did you put on?? Pic's would be nice:rockon: Thanks.

I installed the LSL Sport, too motocrossy for me. I now have ConvertiBars and LOVE THEM. Look in the Mod section for install notes and lots of photos. Search under ConvertiBar and/or LSL.

I went the cheap route (roughly $40) and got the FZ1 Bar. It's a flat bar with a little less pull back. I would still love to get my hands on some JOTA bars though.

Hey thatguyx, how do you like those bars? Sometimes my wrist gets sore after a while and I'm looking for something more comfortable.

i like the bars much better for the slightly aggressive position they give me. I did it mostly for trying to ride harder. depending on your arm length and riding style this may be good of bad for you. If you've got long arms these might help alleviate a little pressure/weight on your wrists. But you could also try rotating your brake and clutch levers downward a bit. For me, when I was trying to get lower and hang off more, the extra pull back from the stock bars made my elbow stick out and after a while it would get a little sore. Now with this setup, it' sticks out a little, but I haven't had any problems. I did have to rotate my levers because my wrist started hurting... or maybe I just need to man up :lol

I used to keep a hat there too :p

that's my helmet hair fix, and temporary EZ Pass securing mount. However I kind of gave up on it as I was going down 6th Ave the other day and a few bumps and I thought I dropped my EZ Pass in TRAFFIC. Then I looked down and it was luckily caught somewhere in the upper fairing.

Now I'll just leave the hat in there. On a side note, I want to add a leather strap on the passenger portion of my seat (like on other sportbikes with a split seat), so I can tuck my hat in there without bending the front... or get a tail pack.

i like the bars much better for the slightly aggressive position they give me. I did it mostly for trying to ride harder. depending on your arm length and riding style this may be good of bad for you. If you've got long arms these might help alleviate a little pressure/weight on your wrists. But you could also try rotating your brake and clutch levers downward a bit. For me, when I was trying to get lower and hang off more, the extra pull back from the stock bars made my elbow stick out and after a while it would get a little sore. Now with this setup, it' sticks out a little, but I haven't had any problems. I did have to rotate my levers because my wrist started hurting... or maybe I just need to man up :lol

if when I tuck, my elbows hit my knees does that mean I have long arms? :D

i fitted renthals, its a much nicer riding position, no need to extend cables or anything. have also a set of drag bars which i fit now and again for scratching:rockon: bike handles much better.pics in my profile

i fitted renthals, its a much nicer riding position, no need to extend cables or anything. have also a set of drag bars which i fit now and again for scratching:rockon: bike handles much better.pics in my profile

Renthal bars are great but ... :needpics:

if when I tuck, my elbows hit my knees does that mean I have long arms? :D

Not necessarily, it could mean you have long legs.

I love the stock bars for the same basic reason. When tucked my arms rest on my legs so I can go for hours and for the this is quite comfortable.

thatguyx: I really like the fz1 bars on there, which year of fz1 bars are those?

Also, when you change the bars can the grips be saved?

Last edited:
Although not a handlebar conversion, I picked up a tip from Lee Parks book "Total Control" to align control levers with forearm. Previously my levers were slightly high, causing me to bend my wrist upward in order to engage levers. Aligning levers with my forearm, downward in this case, it reduces stress on wrist and increases you pulling force.

Although not a handlebar conversion, I picked up a tip from Lee Parks book "Total Control" to align control levers with forearm. Previously my levers were slightly high, causing me to bend my wrist upward in order to engage levers. Aligning levers with my forearm, downward in this case, it reduces stress on wrist and increases you pulling force.

Great book...I did that on my bike too.

How much pull back do those FZ1 bars have?

I went the cheap route (roughly $40) and got the FZ1 Bar. It's a flat bar with a little less pull back. I would still love to get my hands on some JOTA bars though.

Back