Changing all the fluides

mehranir

Reaction score
Visit site
I mentioned in the last posting that I just picked up my new bike 2009 Fz6:Flash: It has 6600 Miles on it. Do you guys think it is necessary to change the Coolent and Transmission fluid now? I know that they have never been changed! How often do you recommend these changes to be done? Also, do you think it is important for winterizing, to take the spark plugs out and put oil there like it is recommended in the manual?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
i think you should replace all fluids...even the coolant.
you can still ride the bike, just be sure to replace the fluids sooner than later.
the transmission is lubricated by the motor oil. replacing your motor oil would be the most important, followed by brake fluid, coolant and then fork oil.

i dont think it's neccessary to winterize the bike by putting oil in the plugs. just clean the bike, do an oil change and put fuel stabilizer in the tank. use a battery tender.

boneman's site has the service manual for 07+ bikes
Boneman's FZ6 Site - Mods
the service manual has the maintenance schedule.
hopefully the previous owner gave you a good idea of what type of maintenance was done.

dont forget to change your headlight fluid.:D

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just did this. Recommendation: dot 5 brake fluid (does not destroy your paint if you accidentally spill it and has a higher temp rating) The stainless steel braided lines such as Spiegler, Hel, Gallfer, Goodridge and the like with dot 5 gives noticeable stopping power.

Using Semi synth 10w-40 for oil. Went with Engine Ice for the coolant. Have not noticed the significant drop in engine temp that the product claims. Works just fine, though. If Engine Ice is used, coolant must be completely drained and only Engine Ice is to be used. Otherwise, if water is mixed in, the coolant will foam up. May be easier to use standard coolant. Good luck with the new bike.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Just did this. Recommendation: dot 5 brake fluid (does not destroy your paint if you accidentally spill it and has a higher temp rating) The stainless steel braided lines such as Spiegler, Hel, Gallfer, Goodridge and the like with dot 5 gives noticeable stopping power.

Using Semi synth 10w-40 for oil. Went with Engine Ice for the coolant. Have not noticed the significant drop in engine temp that the product claims. Works just fine, though. If Engine Ice is used, coolant must be completely drained and only Engine Ice is to be used. Otherwise, if water is mixed in, the coolant will foam up. May be easier to use standard coolant. Good luck with the new bike.

isnt dot 5 not recommended?
use dot 4 or dot 5.1

also for the OP, be sure to use distilled water when you flush your coolant. dont use water from the garden hose.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever I get a new bike I immediately change out the oil and oil filter. I then check the air filter, spark plugs, coolant, and brake fluid and if any of those show signs of fatigue or wear, I change them as well. Have a good look at the tires and brake pads as well as those may need changing too. Finally, have a good look at the chain and make sure it is clean, free of kinks, and well lubed.

By the way, as others have said above, there is no transmission fluid, per say, as the bike uses engine oil to lubricate the wet clutch. New oild filter and 3 US qts of oil and you will be good. I recommend Amsoil Motorcycle Synthetic 10W-40 and a Purolator filter.