Change front sprocket without removing rear wheel?

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible to change to a smaller 15t front sprocket without removing the rear wheel? It seems like you could adjust it really loose and then get the sprocket out.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You still need to loosen the rear wheel to have enough chain slack to pull the sprocket off.
Neil

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible to change to a smaller 15t front sprocket without removing the rear wheel? It seems like you could adjust it really loose and then get the sprocket out.

Keep the chain tight, bike in neutral and either have someone climb on the rear brake or better yet, lock up the rear wheel with the swing arm by passing a padded piece of steel thru the wheel (binding up the wheel with the swingarm).

Bust the sprocket nut loose, loosen the rear wheel and slide forward (don't remove). Do the sprocket swap, new nut/retainer, pull the rear wheel back some and again, lock up the rear wheel to torque the nut (no stress on the transmission).

Re-check the chain tension, go ride! :thumbup:

Last edited:

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome guys thanks. I will be installing the 15t sprocket and speedodrd tomorrow.

From what I can tell other people have gone with -11.1% correction.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll love the 15T sprocket. Makes a huge difference in off the line power. I had it for a while but then switched to a 17T for better MPG's and an accurate speedo (I'm too cheap for a speedo healer :)).

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
I already cleaned my chain and front sprocket area so it is should be a relatively clean experience. I invite everyone if you havent taken off your front sprocket cover. It is probably full of crap.

It is just 3 allen screws and slides down and off.

Will6196

Reaction score
Visit site
-11.1% worked perfectly for my speedodrd and 15t sprocket. I just loosened up the rear wheel to get the chain slack needed. Realigning it correctly was a huge pain in the ass on my 06...took me longer to do that than anything else. Great mod! :rockon:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
just make sure you fit some kind of locking tab

i also managed to break a broom handle in half when I was trying to undo the sprocket nut (I was using it to keep the wheel locked). Ended up balancing with one foot on the brake and using a 3 foot long breaker bar.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just make sure you fit some kind of locking tab

i also managed to break a broom handle in half when I was trying to undo the sprocket nut (I was using it to keep the wheel locked). Ended up balancing with one foot on the brake and using a 3 foot long breaker bar.

Yea, I did the same thing and snapped a 1x2 (wood) real friggin quick. An old tire tool (lug socket on one end, flat and sharp on the other to remove hub caps) works great with a little bit of padding so as not to scratch up any parts...

Actually, I used my air gun to remove the nut (in neutral), zipped it right off. For the torque wrench, locked up the back tire. I suspect if it was at Yamaha, it'd liely go back on with an air gun.. :rolleyes:

And yes, it does get gunky under there. I clean mine maybe every two months, don't take long once its under control...

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
I got everything installed and running great. It definitely has a lot more acceleration. The only thing I dont like is at 70 mph you can feel the vibration pretty good in your feet (~6700 rpm).

Luckily I don't do a lot of highway miles.

All in all, a great mod under $130.

I undid the sprocket nut by myself with just a breaker bar. I got on the right side of the bike with my foot on the brake and leaned over to loosen the nut.