Chain'n'sprockets.

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi v1jay
Yes the AFAM front is the most likely candidate as the OEM part has a rubber damper built in to reduce harmonic vibration - or somesuch. I've read many posts on the subject of noise from pattern parts.

BTW

I went out today to try to buy a Yam front sprok so I could then upgrade chain and rear via the net.
Oh dear.
Wanna know the UK price for the Yam part?:Flip:
£79!!!!!!!!:Flash:
Nett result is I went for the complete OEM kit for £160 which sadly only has the bog standard O ring chain. Still, it should be good for another 30 thou looked after properly.

Yup - I got a quote for 76 quid + VAT for an original OEM front sprocket and nearly fainted so decided to go for an Heavy Duty X-ring AFAM chain and sprocks [full set].

The o-ring chains are fine IMO, i did 31k [miles] on mine:BLAA: and it was the stock DID chain too.. i paid a few quid less then yourself for the AFAM set, and i'm happy with it :) the slight whine from the front means i'm not going deaf lol

Thank again Fox - cheers, vj

Silver05

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning all - Well i adjusted my chain slack to around 47-50mm last night... and i still get the slight whine when slowing down - To be clear - only when slowing down tho :) Accelerating and riding slow is fine..

Would anyone know what could be causing this..? I think i read somewhere that a AFAM front Sprocket are 'noisy' - could this be the cause..?

I went up a tooth on the front, with an AFAM sprocket. I have the whine now, too, and despite adjusting chain, it seems like its here to stay. I don't notice it much while riding. But if I shut off the engine and coast into my driveway (100 yds), I can certainly hear it.

This really bothered me at first, but then I chocked it up to changing a sprocket without changing the chain - minor wear difference. Anyone else have an AFAM sprocket and notice this noise?

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
I went up a tooth on the front, with an AFAM sprocket. I have the whine now, too, and despite adjusting chain, it seems like its here to stay. I don't notice it much while riding. But if I shut off the engine and coast into my driveway (100 yds), I can certainly hear it.

This really bothered me at first, but then I chocked it up to changing a sprocket without changing the chain - minor wear difference. Anyone else have an AFAM sprocket and notice this noise?

Silver - I think any after market front sprocket that does not have a damper fitted will make a slight noise..

I'm at ease that i now know i'm not causing any harm to the motor by an over tight chain...

Also very happy with AFAM, i have full AFAM sets on two bikes now.. but any good quality, well looked after set will last imo...

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Never thought I'd hear myself say this but I'm with you on the OEM route.
Just fitted the Yam full kit yesterday and my baby is singin just fine.
Gone is the CLONK every time I engage 1st, replaced by a more acceptable clack.
One word of warning though. I got the old chain off with a disc cutter outside my window, (power) then walked the bike round the block to my garage and did all the prep. Got the back wheel on again all sproked up and opened the bag with the chain. Bugger. Continuous loop. Took the easier choice of filing the rivets off and punching the link out. 15 min job turned into 90min.

That or take the swing arm off.