Chain'n'sprockets.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone a solid recommendation for a good replacement chain?
I'm going with the OEM front sprok as I've heard it has the rubber isolation/damper that may help stop the nut unscrewing. (Read dozens of threads on that one!)
The rear will probs be a hardened ally number, but the chain.....
I'm thinking DID as I used one before on a 125, but of course they do loads of types.
What's your experience?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 25,000 km on the original chain and sprockets with only two adjustments.
I will defo go for the same this summer when I change.

Nelly:thumbup:

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
dont go alloy rear, the benifits are small and they wear out real fast.
make sure there is either a lock washer or a self locking nut on the front and you should be sweet. Id go a DID or RK chain anything more then an oring:thumbup:

Fizzer600

Reaction score
Visit site
i got 22,000miles out of the original yamaha chain which i was amazed by.

i got a set of Talon sprockets and a DID chain

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a Sunstar steel front and rear 16\46 with a RK 530 xring chain. I am looking to get it installed but the douchie dealer want $165. Local mobile mechanic wants 100 bucks to install. Havent decided what I am going to do yet but I will not be doing it my self.

Last edited:

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced mine. Original DID chain and sprockets lasted an amazing 31k miles :) :)

I went for a AFAM heavy duty x-ring chain with steal sprockets. Working fine at the mo - apart for the slight whine from the front sprocket... :rolleyes:

http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/transmission_chains.aspx

Good service from BikeTorque - i had to borrow a chain breaker and riveter tho...

cheers, vj

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check this out! Supersprox Stealth 520 Rear Sprocket for FZ6 04-09 - Sprockets - Solo Moto Parts

6e8c4ad604a51188754d5ede06225725_detail.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to know how the OEM chain and sprockets compare to the likes of DID etc.

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to know how the OEM chain and sprockets compare to the likes of DID etc.

Nelly - my original stock chain on my 06 was a DID... and it was factory riveted..? When i called Yamaha for prices on Stock kit, they said thats not an original chain - weird..

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
The chain on my 08 is also a DID and as it only had 1800 miles on it when I got it I can not see it being anything but original.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced mine. Original DID chain and sprockets lasted an amazing 31k miles :) :)

I went for a AFAM heavy duty x-ring chain with steal sprockets. Working fine at the mo - aprart for the slight whine from the front sprocket... :rolleyes:

Bike Torque Racing - motorcycle transmission - AFAM chains and sprockets

Good service from BikeTorque - i had to borrow a chain breaker and riveter tho...

cheers, vj
Hello Mate,

Is your chain to tight? They tend to whine a bit if to tight.

Nelly

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I second that mate. Slightly over adjusted my chain recently and got a slight whine from the front which went away once I'd let out some slack - in fact to the recommended amount. It seems this bike is very sensitive to even a very slightly tight chain.
The sound I believe is coming from the final drive bearing of the gear box and that can't be good.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced my chain and sprockets. Went with Sunstar steel sprockets (frt & back) I like the idea of going with the OEM front sprocket though...too late for me...and an RK GXW 530 x-ring chain in gold. No real comments yet as I have only put 30 kms on them so far. (the parts guy at my local dealership lent me a rivet tool to install the chain) Nice guy! Hr thought this combo would last almost as long as the OEM setup.

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
I second that mate. Slightly over adjusted my chain recently and got a slight whine from the front which went away once I'd let out some slack - in fact to the recommended amount. It seems this bike is very sensitive to even a very slightly tight chain.
The sound I believe is coming from the final drive bearing of the gear box and that can't be good.

Thanks Fox / Nelly - I shall check my chain slack tonight... think i adjusted it to 42mm as opposed to the usual between 45-55mm slack...

thanks chaps, nice one...

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning all - Well i adjusted my chain slack to around 47-50mm last night... and i still get the slight whine when slowing down - To be clear - only when slowing down tho :) Accelerating and riding slow is fine..

Would anyone know what could be causing this..? I think i read somewhere that a AFAM front Sprocket are 'noisy' - could this be the cause..?

Last edited:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi v1jay
Yes the AFAM front is the most likely candidate as the OEM part has a rubber damper built in to reduce harmonic vibration - or somesuch. I've read many posts on the subject of noise from pattern parts.

BTW

I went out today to try to buy a Yam front sprok so I could then upgrade chain and rear via the net.
Oh dear.
Wanna know the UK price for the Yam part?:Flip:
£79!!!!!!!!:Flash:
Nett result is I went for the complete OEM kit for £160 which sadly only has the bog standard O ring chain. Still, it should be good for another 30 thou looked after properly.