Chain?

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking about replacing my drive chain soon, every where i look people are talking about a 525/530/535 chains. what does this mean, and what does an 08 fz6 have.

thanks,:thumbup:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
From another web site...

The three digit number is "used to discribe the chain size. It is based on the 'rule of eights'. The first digit is for chain pitch. This is the distance between the pins. The second and third digits combine for roller width, with a decimal point inserted between the second and third digits."

The '08 FZ6 is very likely the same as the '07 which is, I believe, a 530 chain.

Therefore, a 530 chain by the "rule of eights" has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 3.0/8" (9.52mm). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Curious... why do you want to change the chain out?

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
From another web site...

The three digit number is "used to discribe the chain size. It is based on the 'rule of eights'. The first digit is for chain pitch. This is the distance between the pins. The second and third digits combine for roller width, with a decimal point inserted between the second and third digits."

The '08 FZ6 is very likely the same as the '07 which is, I believe, a 530 chain.

Therefore, a 530 chain by the "rule of eights" has a pitch of 5/8" (15.88mm) and a roller width of 3.0/8" (9.52mm). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Curious... why do you want to change the chain out?

Right now i am just trying to understand what people are talking about. That way when the time comes to change the chain, or what not...i know.

S

sportrider

the FZ6 comes with a 530 chain. why are you replacing it?

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
the FZ6 comes with a 530 chain. why are you replacing it?

I was thinking of replacing it in a few months, kind of a upgrade. However, I do not know alot about the chains. So i am just gathering informations right now. I guess i should as this question....how reliable are the yamaha chains from the factory, or should i go with a racing one?

H

HavBlue

I was thinking of replacing it in a few months, kind of a upgrade. However, I do not know alot about the chains. So i am just gathering informations right now. I guess i should as this question....how reliable are the yamaha chains from the factory, or should i go with a racing one?

The factory Yamaha 530 chain is very reliable if it is maintained properly. If you change the chain change the sprockets too as they are likely ready to be replaced. Properly maintained, that chain and sprocket set could go 25,000 miles depending on the rider.