Chain wax or Chain Lube?

clrd_2_lnd

Reaction score
Visit site
Wax or lube, I use PJ1 Black Label, seems to work good but I'm tired of having to put cardboard down under the bike for a few days and all the dripping on the swing arm, way to messy! Thinking about switching to Maxima Chain Wax, what do you guys use?

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
hie, I used maxima chain wax to lube the chains after washing the bike....

other than that im covered with scottoiler.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
I have PJ blue label, it was recommended to me at cycle gear.. but after buying it and reading reviews it doesnt look to be the best stuff... (but so far its been good to me)

TravisB

Reaction score
Visit site
The other reason I like the DuPont stuff is that it comes in a solvent base. It's so cheap you can use it as chain cleaner and wax all in one - just spray it through your chain until it's clean, let it dry for 10-15 minutes, and you're good to go.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I use wd-40 to clean the chain then Chain wax brand after that.

I do the same. It's worked great on street bikes, track bikes, dirt bikes, you name it.

For really grubby chains (read - mud), I have a Grunge Brush.

I clean and wax after riding, when the chain is nice and warm. I let it sit overnight after waxing, to let the carriers evaporate.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Chain wax on this end. It goes on white and drys white so you know where you've applied it. Seems to be working so far.

Z

Zealadin

I've heard not to use WD-40 or a stiff brush.

Generally use kero on a rag, then a good quality lube, main problem is finding a good lube.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I use repsol chain lube.

Really any chain lube is going to be good. Just don't rely on WD40 alone.
Can't comment on wax though.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Did I ever tell you about the story when I took a NASTY and RUSTY motorcycle chain from the dump?

I experimented on it with all sorts of different chain lubes. It turned out that any lube is fine; it's just a matter of applying it properly. WD-40 helped get it clean really fast, but you cannot spray the chain directly. Spray WD-40 on a rag first then wipe the chain down. Apply your lube afterward. I like to deliberately leave a thin layer of lube all around the chain. A dry chain will rust in a hurry.

One last thing I learned...involves lubing a chain in a well-ventilated area. Make sure you don't let any sand blow onto your chain when you're lubing it. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Last edited:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
after reading the article on webbikeworld that new DuPont Chain Saver sounds like the way to go. When I run out of Maxim chain wax I'm switching.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have always been using wax,- but last time I needed a new can, my local dealer was out, so I went for the Oil instead, - and to my big surprice, the Oil seems to withstand rain better.
A few hours of rain riding with the wax and it was screaming for new wax, - but the oil seems to hold out a lot better, - twice as long lasting in the rain I would estimate.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For cleaning the chain, and various other dirty parts of the bike, I use Bean Clean. The stuff is amazing, and it does not damage paint or plastics/rubber!
Bean Clean and a Grunge Brush will have your chain sparkling in record time.

Bean Clean - webBikeWorld

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to use chain wax but found that it collected sand very well and wore out my sprockets and chain out waaaay too fast. I now use kerosene on a rag to clean my chain and a small amount of RK O-ring Chain Lube to lube it.(on a warm,dry chain only). It works great! I have 32000kms on my original chain and sprockets and the chain has not exceeded its stretch tolerance as per outlined in the manual.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I clean it with plenty of WD40 and paper towels...

I tried chain wax (forgot the brand), I was not satisfied at all.. The chain literally began rusting and links seizing (not high mileage), even with plenty of wax on it. I'm very anal about my machines and service them before factory requirements... I'll NEVER use wax again.

I currently use "Next deminsion" chainlube. It used to be sold under Honda's name, red and black can. It does not fling off whatsoever but does need application more often.

They also make a blue and white can with white graphite however it tends to fling off some. It does last longer thou...

Scott