Chain replacement

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Heya guys,

As wolf already knows I have gone through a chain already 30k. Just thought I would post up some quotes I got as they are all over the place.

Wolfman's supplier of RHK - $140 not fitted.
Bills Motorcycles City - $240 DID O'ring not fitted.
Total Motorcycles - $180 DID X'ring chain fitted!

Not sure if I need sprockets. To me is sounds like the the O'rings are gone on the current chain. Not getting any slippage under power either from the chain.

I think ill probably go the Xring as it should last me a bit longer and for $40 more than the RHK and its fitted.. that's got be good value.

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
Heya guys,

As wolf already knows I have gone through a chain already 30k. Just thought I would post up some quotes I got as they are all over the place.

Wolfman's supplier of RHK - $140 not fitted.
Bills Motorcycles City - $240 DID O'ring not fitted.
Total Motorcycles - $180 DID X'ring chain fitted!

Not sure if I need sprockets. To me is sounds like the the O'rings are gone on the current chain. Not getting any slippage under power either from the chain.

I think ill probably go the Xring as it should last me a bit longer and for $40 more than the RHK and its fitted.. that's got be good value.

For what it's worth. I just had a DID gold Xring and a set of Supersprox sprockets installed for $80 I already had the parts. Not the best deal but worth it to me.

The Total Motorcycles deal for $180 doesn't sound bad to me. Is the the Gold chain?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! What sort of lube do you use? I rode my FZ6 in all conditions, as hard as it would go and after 44k km, and my chain only had 2 slightly frozen links when I replaced it. I never cleaned it. Just used Belray chain lube and flushed it through occasionally with the lube, in lieu of washing it. Put it on hot after a ride, every 500km or so and always after riding in the rain.

JayJay

Reaction score
The guys at the dealership "cleaned" it for me at 20k service.
The chain started getting surface rust later that day!

I suspect the seals were damaged when they cleaned it depending on what solvents used or how they cleaned it.

I do lube the chain minimum once a week after I wash it and i use belray's as well.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The guys at the dealership "cleaned" it for me at 20k service.
The chain started getting surface rust later that day!

I suspect the seals were damaged when they cleaned it depending on what solvents used or how they cleaned it.

I do lube the chain minimum once a week after I wash it and i use belray's as well.

Yeah, never clean ya chain i say, just lube it...Me and chains dont get along, mine never last very long...cause i clean my bike too much, and thee chain gets degreased without even trying at times....if it makes you feel any better Jay, I only got 24000km's out of my first chain...

Got less out of the DID super duper X Ring chain, hence why i am now trying RK....is still an X-ring chain, just truckloads cheaper to buy, and with a good rep for quality.

:thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy some of the chain wax, I find it works alot better than the normal lubes since it sticks better and seems to offer better protection.
I was getting spots of rust on my chain even wiping it down and relubing every 500k's until I started using the wax.

JayJay

Reaction score
Belray Chain Lube is a spray on wax. The only time I have seen surface rust was after the dealership cleaned it so as far as im concerned its not entirely my throttle response.

Anyway new DID chain going on tomorrow.
Service with Motul 5100 on Friday.

If I still have change in my pocket I will be going for a ride at some point this weekend!

JayJay

Reaction score
New Chain fitted. It sounded like a grinder.

New cogs fitted front and rear. Still sounds a bit whiny at 60kms/ph. Im guessing its yet to bed in.

Service today and first time use of the Motul 5100

Bikes ODO is at 30001km

Last edited: