Chain not centered over rear sprocket...

Interesting last few posts...

Now you guys got me wondering. I assumed I have a factory #530 sprocket on my bike since it has the rubber damper on it. Are there factory #520's that also have the damper on them?

Regardless, since I have noticed there is more that one loose spot in my chain I think I'll just toss on a new chain and sprockets and check the rear bearings and cush drive rubbers before bolting is all back up.

Regarding chain slack, I've always set my chains on the loose side when adjusting chain slack so as not to destroy bearings. You just don't want to go so loose that the chain can come off the sprocket(s). On dirt bikes I've even gone as far as disconnecting the shock and moving the swing arm through it's full travel to make sure the chain does not get to tight.

So...... Just for fun. After I install a new chain and sprockets and adjust the slack I think I'll use a tie down strap to compress the rear suspension so the swing arm is level and check to make sure the chain still has a little slack in it.

Jon...

Slightly off topic.....

Since I do a lot of highway riding I think I'll give a 17 tooth sprocket a try. Is there a factory sprocket with the rubber damper from another bike that will work on a 2007 FZ6, or do I need to go aftermarket?

Thanks,

Jon...

Slightly off topic.....

Since I do a lot of highway riding I think I'll give a 17 tooth sprocket a try. Is there a factory sprocket with the rubber damper from another bike that will work on a 2007 FZ6, or do I need to go aftermarket?

Thanks,

Jon...

Your chain SIDE PLATES should say 520 or 530.

As for a Yamaha brand 17 tooth rubber dampened sprocket, I don't know. I've never heard/seen any aftermarket sprocket with the rubber dampner (like the stock Yamaha) on it.

I know there are aftermarket, 17 tooth sprockets without the rubber.

Last edited:
Well with the weather being crap over the last few days I havent had chance to test ride...
The grumble grumble noise has completely dissipated, all I can hear from the sprocket side of the bike is....the chain going around the sprocket....
Ps.. the chain, bike is new to me so I have no way of knowing what "real" life the bike lived, It was looking like a shed tho' so I could see the chain dying prematurely...Bike has 10,000 mls (uk)..
Threre seems to be two settings on the bike reference to the chain..
45mm slack, good feel from the gearbox but the gearbox whine is loud...
55mm slack, clunky gearbox but the gearbox whine has nearly gone...

Thankyou all for your advice, ride safe and good luck...tosh

Well with the weather being crap over the last few days I havent had chance to test ride...
The grumble grumble noise has completely dissipated, all I can hear from the sprocket side of the bike is....the chain going around the sprocket....
Ps.. the chain, bike is new to me so I have no way of knowing what "real" life the bike lived, It was looking like a shed tho' so I could see the chain dying prematurely...Bike has 10,000 mls (uk)..
Threre seems to be two settings on the bike reference to the chain..
45mm slack, good feel from the gearbox but the gearbox whine is loud...
55mm slack, clunky gearbox but the gearbox whine has nearly gone...

Thankyou all for your advice, ride safe and good luck...tosh

IMHO, 2", 50mm, total up and down at the taughtest point, is the best adjustment for the bike. Shifts fine, no excess whine either..

Back