chain noise

yoogi

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently adjusted my chain a little on the tight side but still within the 45-55 mm spec. with the engine off in neutral i noticed a huge increase in the amount of chain noise and / or front sprocket noise when moving the bike to the garage! any ideas what this is? there is usually a certain amount of noise that i imagine is just the chain rolling over the guide areas or whatever, but today was quite loud. my 2006 FZ6 was bought in april 2008 with 600 km and now has 35,000 km. i will ask a question about the potential valve adjustment later but don't see a connection. Any suggestions on the noise will be appreciated.

- Yoogi in Vancouver, BC

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When measuring the chain slack, you should find the ""tightest spot" on the chain and adjust from that point. Chains will stretch more or less in different spots, might be your problem. Rotate the rear wheel while on the center stand and check the play in different spots.

If you've already adjusted as stated above, I'd probably loosen it just a bit.

I personally prefer the looser end (of adjustment) and lube it often for longevity.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
+1 on what Townsend is saying..... looser is better, especially if the chain is worn. 35K kilometers is over 20 thousand miles; that chain is probably worn out, or very nearly so.

You may be hearing the teeth on the front sprocket 'hooking' the chain. As that sprocket wears, the teeth will start to look like waves crashing into the beach.... the points will curl over, in extreme cases. When the chain starts to come back off the sprocket, the teeth 'pluck' the rollers..... makes a popping sort of noise.

Pull the front sprocket cover, and take a look at the sprocket. If you can see any 'dishing' at all in the teeth, it's time to replace the sprocket..... and the chain..... and it'd be a really good idea to replace the rear sprocket as well.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice to you by fellow board members.
I just know that in the past whenever I had a "noisy chain" it was always because it was a little too tight. (When a chain is too tight it pretty much puts a strain on everything in the driveline, not just the chain)
I used to have two Hondas which seemingly never needed any adjustment.
I had another Honda which needed constant adjustment, (nearly everytime I rode it)!
I had two other Hondas which needed adjusting about twice per summer.
I had an old Suzuki, (which I treated like #*&^), and it never needed anything. (I just rode the heck out of it)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It could even be as simple as a leaf stuck under the front sprocket cover!! Have you inspected?

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I adjusted my chain when I first got my bike.
It made a whine noise around the front sprocket.
The guys here advised my to loosen the chain a little.
I did, and noise disappeared.

yoogi

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks so much for all the advice. the answer was in 'the tightest spot". i was driving to california and adjusted it a rest stop. first it was too oose then too tight. i took it to a shop where they put it on a hoist and the uneven chain was obvious. i had it replaced with a no o-ring chain for now and it worst great -- no noise. i had 35,000 km on it so should have known better. thanks again for the help.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks so much for all the advice. the answer was in 'the tightest spot". i was driving to california and adjusted it a rest stop. first it was too oose then too tight. i took it to a shop where they put it on a hoist and the uneven chain was obvious. i had it replaced with a no o-ring chain for now and it worst great -- no noise. i had 35,000 km on it so should have known better. thanks again for the help.

If you want to try and get the non O ring chain to last, you will need to keep it wet with lubricant. Soaked. A Scott Oiler would be my choice, if I felt the need to try and run a non O ring type on a bike. It would be messy, but flinging off the excess oil would also fling off the dirt and munge that would wear out the pins.

With an O ring chain, I always had good success with gear oil applied by hand. A neoprene or nitrile disposable glove, and a rag I didn't much care for; fold the rag in your hand so it looks like a taco, and pour a dollop of gear oil in there. wrap the rag around the chain, and scrub it back and forth, making sure the rollers get wiped all the way around. Once the chain looks damp, advance the chain a bit and repeat. Work your way the whole length of the chain, and then take a minute to wipe the goop off the back sprocket.

Repeat on a weekly basis, or whenever you see the chain getting 'dry'.

I'd think if you did that, you could get more than 10,000 miles out of a non O ring chain.......

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
RJ2112-
That sounds effective but that gear oil is pretty nasty stuff. I can't say I am as motivated as you when it comes to keeping the chain lubed. I don't mind using a spray on lube generously and frequently but not gear oil for me. Would you care to weigh in on some of the canned spray lubes available? I just bought the dupont chain saver becuase webbikeworld spoke pretty highly about it.

Thanks

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
RJ2112-
That sounds effective but that gear oil is pretty nasty stuff. I can't say I am as motivated as you when it comes to keeping the chain lubed. I don't mind using a spray on lube generously and frequently but not gear oil for me. Would you care to weigh in on some of the canned spray lubes available? I just bought the dupont chain saver becuase webbikeworld spoke pretty highly about it.

Thanks

This will quickly become an 'oil' thread.....:surrender::popcorn::rant::rtfm:

If you're happy, I'm happy.:D

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Motul chain lube, seems to work well and doesn't pick up too much grit if you apply then let it dry before riding. Prior to that I used motor oil in a drip can, effective but a bit messy.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
RJ2112-

Thanks

Gear oil is designed to protect meshing teeth under lots of mechanical force.... higher pressures than the sprockets give the chain, even. It's also sticky as all get out..... if you have ever tried to wash it off your hands, you know it has very high adhesion.

Anything out of a spray can has to use a solvent to thin the lube, to the point where it will spray. Chain wax always struck me as a fundamentally bad idea; wax is good for preventing oxidation, but not so much as a lubricant. And waxes are generally sticky, too.... so the 'fling' sticks hard. (Incidentally, liquid auto wax is a really good way to remove anything stuck to the rims. Put a dollop on a rag, and rub it directly on the sticky stuff. Scrub lightly, and it comes right off. Buff. Shiney.)

I tried 2 or 3 different cans of spray on stuff. Never did find one that I liked. Dry looking chain, and flung off sticky stuff. And where do all those solvents go, that allow the spraying of the lubricant? If you're shooting that stuff directly at the O rings...... isn't some of it getting past the rings and diluting the lube inside?

100% gear oil. No solvents. As I described, a nitrile disposable glove keeps you from getting smeared in the stuff. A terry towel scrap scrubs the gunk off (not much there to start with). You toss the rag when you're done.

A quart of 85w-135 at WalMart runs about $4. It lasts for months, if not years. Takes no more time to apply than spray on stuff, and is less trouble to clean up after. Darn near like coating your chain in honey.

yoogi

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again. One of the shops i trust for service suggested it is already time to 'not rely too much' on the non-O-Ring chain so i will probably change shortly. And i will start a new post about two things: 1/ changing to a 5/20 conversion and 2/ possibly adding a couple of teeth on the back sprocket to see if there are suggestions on either. one of my 'less trustworthy, yet respectable' service shops thinks 5/20 is the only way to go and possibly a couple of teeth more on the back and even one less in the front too will give a bit more pep for everything but the highway. What do YOU think?

Thanks,
Yoogi