Chain cutting / riveting

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cutting to the chase.... I am being cheap!

Just bought a new DID 530 chain/sprocket set to install before the 2015 riding season. I realized that I needed a tool to rivet the new chain, but I was pissed to see that a good price for a tool that I will likely need once will cost me over 50% of the thing I need it for!

But everyone knew that already. :-(

So I am looking for alternatives. Perhaps other, more common tools can substitute, or the tool can be rented...or borrowed.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Motojoe in your neck of the woods? Beer might work!

Another crazy option is (if going back stock and 118 links), take the chain in as a carry in and have it riveted. Call first for pricing.
- Now the downside - you have to remove the exhaust and swing arm to install it...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle Gear has the chain removal and riveting tool for $29 right now. I've used mine 3 times and it works great!

I bought mine before I needed it and ended up doing a chain for a forum member who was doing a cross country trip on her FZ6. Then I needed it for my bike and last week I did sprocket, chain and rotor job. I'd say it's paid for itself. :)

Have a store nearby? STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear

Here's the Edison store..
2052 Lincoln Highway (Route 27)
Edison,NJ

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Motojoe in your neck of the woods? Beer might work!

Another crazy option is (if going back stock and 118 links), take the chain in as a carry in and have it riveted. Call first for pricing.
- Now the downside - you have to remove the exhaust and swing arm to install it...

Depends on the size of the neck.... :) Joe an I have ridden together and unless I REALLY pissed him off we are likely to ride again!

Need to find his favorite beer....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

As I re-call, the member that put the OEM, non ending chain back on did NOT have to touch the exhaust, just the swing arm.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I re-call, the member that put the OEM, non ending chain back on did NOT have to touch the exhaust, just the swing arm.

So picky.... I'm in twubble if I don't go by the book and when I do! Blah
It was more of warning - be prepared...

Yes, it has been done w/Out removing the exhaust. May as well clean and pack s/a pivot bearings while there... --> by the book 16,000 mi (25000 km) or 24 months! :p:p

UHG, 2008 till now, I haven't done that or head bearings! Maybe when the new tire goes on.... Joe, you have a chain rivet tool, right?!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle Gear has the chain removal and riveting tool for $29 right now. I've used mine 3 times and it works great!

I've used a very similar tool twice, works fine. I just use mine to press the master link. A dremel with a cut off wheel slices through the chain like butter to get it off.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
tom if u still got my number text me. i got a tusk chain riveting tool ill let u borrow it. not sure how it will hold up to a 530 chain i havent even used it yet lol

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So picky.... I'm in twubble if I don't go by the book and when I do! Blah
It was more of warning - be prepared...

Yes, it has been done w/Out removing the exhaust. May as well clean and pack s/a pivot bearings while there... --> by the book 16,000 mi (25000 km) or 24 months! :p:p

UHG, 2008 till now, I haven't done that or head bearings! Maybe when the new tire goes on.... Joe, you have a chain rivet tool, right?!

Yes, I have it and it will be enroute to Tom next week.
I just did the swing arm bearings and pivot bolt while installing the Golden goose egg.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You and Randy are both right. I've installed chains both ways, I've found that removing the swing arm does help prevent scratching the swing arm.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You and Randy are both right. I've installed chains both ways, I've found that removing the swing arm does help prevent scratching the swing arm. I still have not touched the head bearings, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You and Randy are both right. I've installed chains both ways, I've found that removing the swing arm does help prevent scratching the swing arm. I still have not touched the head bearings, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

It was likely your original post I was referring to Joe.

Its been awhile but any shortcuts anyone finds, I try to remember those... Your experimenting will save someone (myself down the road too) some time and extra work.:thumbup:

Last edited: