Chain adjustment

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a 2004 half fairing with a center stand. Put a 2007 swingarm on but the process is the same.

Per the manual, the bike should be on the center stand and the rear wheel rotated to find the tightest spot. The chain slack should be more than 1.75 inches and less than 2.20 inches. I measure center of the rivet up to center of the rivet down - see photos. Any measuring tool is fine - even a stick with 1.75 and 2.20 inches marked is fine. The photos show a caliper which is what was handy - too hard to read a ruler! Will take a ruler and mark the lengths on something so don't have to think "now is that reading 2.20, 1.20 or . . ." while holding the chain in position.

In the photos the measuring device is held too vertical - should be perpendicular to the bottom of the swingarm. My chain is too loose so will adjust tomorrow. I keep the chain on the loose side - usually 2.0 to 2.1 but never over 2.2. The chain is new with maybe 100 miles on it and has loosened a little.

View attachment 39974View attachment 39973

EDIT: when measuring I hold my hand with the caliper against the swingarm so it does not move as the chain is pushed down.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading this thread, 'check my chains, did with a measuring tape & behold, my chains were too tight. No wonder I was hearing some whining at times and wonder where it's coming from.

Thanks! Adjusted it to about 1.7" +. We'll see when I take it out again to Lake Berryessa, Napa, Cal.