Ceramic coated exhaust???

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, today i found out that my chances of getting Titanium headers for the FZ6 are slim at best....problem is, not only did i want to save weight, but i wanted a cleaner look...

So, what next, could polish them, but they are impossible to keep pristine clean.

So, then i get told about getting them ceramic coated....

Apparently the finish is clean, hardwearing, and easy to keep clean..

Also have been told that they help improve performance of the bike....am guessing that's cause they hold heat well???

Anyone got any experience with the virtues of a ceramic coated exhaust????

:thumbup:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Some places offer a coating that looks like stainless after its done, but doesn't stain and has the benefits of normal ceramic coating. I don't have any personal experience with it, just know that its out there if you don't like the matte look. Jet-hot is one place that offers it, you can see it on page four of their catalog here: JET HOT Aftermarket Brochure The Hottest in High Temp Coatings

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ceramics are used in places you will have high heat and want a material that will be able to withstand the heat without any signs of fatigue. they use ceramics in places where temps get up into the thousands of degrees sometimes.

also they are good insulators.

ive never heard of exhausts made from ceramics but that would look really cool imo. i love how ceramics can be made to look. I have ceramic toe sliders on my boots and they look snazzy.

regarding holding in heat in a bike mechanical system being good or bad the only thing ive ever heard of thats similar is insulating headers to gain a bit of horsepower.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be taking and getting mine ceramic coated black over the winter when i have the bike torn down for the R6 forks and some other stuff. I talked to a local place and they said it should be no problem to do them for under $100. I will post pics and info when completed.

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of months ago I had the headers on my BMW Ceramic coated. Cost a mere $75. I've put 4000kms on them so far with no problems or issues. Eventually I'll probably have the FZ6 coated once I get tired of polishing them.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some places offer a coating that looks like stainless after its done, but doesn't stain and has the benefits of normal ceramic coating. I don't have any personal experience with it, just know that its out there if you don't like the matte look. Jet-hot is one place that offers it, you can see it on page four of their catalog here: JET HOT Aftermarket Brochure The Hottest in High Temp Coatings

Yes, the Stainless look a like ceramic coating is what i saw yesterday....very nice....pipes i saw were 8 years old, and still, the ceramic coating looked like new!

that JetHot website is amazing!
Im quite intrigued... winter is around the corner.

Wolfman if you bite the bullet, please let us know the details

i have "bitten the bullet", dropping the headers off to the shop this afternoon, will post details.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about having mine coated as well - in black. My concern is how they stand up to dings by small rocks. Will a big chunk come off, like plaster, or just a small ding?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about having mine coated as well - in black. My concern is how they stand up to dings by small rocks. Will a big chunk come off, like plaster, or just a small ding?

The pipes that I saw yesterday were 8 years old, and looked like new. Don't think the ceramic coating chips as such.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That seals the deal for me then. I'm tired of trying to keep mine shiny. If it's that inexpensive and durable, I'm pretty much sold on the coating :rockon:

Yes well today i went and found out a bit more.....Was told that they dont chip, improve performance marginally, and it only costs about $200....BARGAIN...

one set of headers going off to be coated tomorrow!

am getting the polished, stainless "look a like" coating....

Will post pics when i get em back.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, today i found out that my chances of getting Titanium headers for the FZ6 are slim at best....problem is, not only did i want to save weight, but i wanted a cleaner look...

So, what next, could polish them, but they are impossible to keep pristine clean.

So, then i get told about getting them ceramic coated....

Apparently the finish is clean, hardwearing, and easy to keep clean..

Also have been told that they help improve performance of the bike....am guessing that's cause they hold heat well???

Anyone got any experience with the virtues of a ceramic coated exhaust????

I have heard nothing but good things about it. It lasts long, makes the exhausts last even longer, makes the cans run cooler (not sure why) and looks awesome. You can get various colours and they coat the inside and outside of the cans/pipes. I want to get my cans done in gloss/satin black to match the bike.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine ceramic coated in black. Here's a link to my post:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18019-r6-forks-powdercoating-done.html

So far I have yet to see any chips in the surface and that's saying a fair bit since they're doing tons of resurfacing on the freeway that I travel regularly -- lots of loose rocks and crap.

The guy who runs the powder coat shop where I had mine done is a sprint car driver. He said that even in that environment they hold up very well, adding that as the header is heat-cycled the finish will get harder and harder. I don't have any way of validating that last point, but thought it was an interesting notion.

I had mine coated because I like the blacked-out/red look. And I'm lazy so I didn't want to have to polish the header.

I wouldn't have thought to have a metallic -- silver or other -- finish applied as I wouldn't want to sport an "oakie chrome" (rattle can silver spray paint) look. I hope that your header turns out nice, Jamie. Definitely post up some pics when you get it back.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought to have a metallic -- silver or other -- finish applied as I wouldn't want to sport an "oakie chrome" (rattle can silver spray paint) look. I hope that your header turns out nice, Jamie. Definitely post up some pics when you get it back.

Yeah, i thought the same till i saw these pipes on the Ducati the other day.....i thought they were stainless steel, was quite amazed when i was told it was a ceramic coating....

If it looks like poop, well i will just put those headers on thebike i am going to sell, and get the other headers done in Matt Black.

Thanks for the feedback re your pipes...much appreciated, that goes for everyone who has taken the time to give their 2 cents worth so far...

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I have also thought about this. But my reasons are 100% aesthetic. I really don't think the little fizzer produces enough heat to make it a 'performance' upgrade. I'm going to be doing this to my valve covers, turbo elbow's and headers for my car which has a decent sized turbo and producing over 400hp. During very hard driving, I have gotten the exhaust side of the turbo red hot...The fizzer is a few hundred degree's from that, but at least it will look super sexay!

I'm still debating colours. My fairings, front wheel shroud, and rear plastics are custom off white, with blue pearl, and then I am going to be doing my rims gold (powder coat). I would like to do something subtle yet snazzy. I' thinking black will help the overall look of the bike.

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
$300 for mine is what i have been quoted here in perth..

but they dont do orange :( not happy

the deal witht he power increase is they cermaic coating holds the heat in the pipes which increases the gas velocity = better scavenging of the combustion chamber = more grunt
maybe 1-2hp at the crank if that

ALOT of car guys do it as it keeps underbonnet temps down by a noticable margin, good on turbo cars :)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
OOOooo another interesting mod idea!
God sudden images of my bike with white headers flashed through my head, swiftly followed by a very great concen that it would look terrible (if it can even be done)

Anyway can't wait to see how they turn out Wolfman, might have to put that on the long term planner :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i get them back next Wedneday, or thursday, depending on when i can get time to go pick them up...

Photo's will be put up.