Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be. One of the things we've heard of regarding the FZ6. Some folk replace the the auto adjusting CCT with a manual type adjuster. What ever you do get everything at TDC if replacement is needed so nobody kisses a piston.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you replace the CCT, start by taking the timing cover off the right side of the engine. Once off, first make sure the pin on the rear chain guide (RED arrow in photo) is through the guide and in its hole in the engine. Then use a zip tie around the front and rear guides to squeeze the slack out of the chain. This will ensure that the valve timing will not change while you remove the tensioner. Once the new tensioner is in place simply cut and remove the zip tie and replace the cover.

You will need a gasket for the timing cover, and it will be a bit of a mess to clean the gasket surfaces, but once done put a thin smear of silicone on the gasket surfaces to make future removals and even gasket reuse more of a possibility.

Works every time.

1677141285496.png

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I n
When you replace the CCT, start by taking the timing cover off the right side of the engine. Once off, first make sure the pin on the rear chain guide (RED arrow in photo) is through the guide and in its hole in the engine. Then use a zip tie around the front and rear guides to squeeze the slack out of the chain. This will ensure that the valve timing will not change while you remove the tensioner. Once the new tensioner is in place simply cut and remove the zip tie and replace the cover.

You will need a gasket for the timing cover, and it will be a bit of a mess to clean the gasket surfaces, but once done put a thin smear of silicone on the gasket surfaces to make future removals and even gasket reuse more of a possibility.

Works every time.

View attachment 75250
I never thought of using zip ties
Thanks for the advice.
My CCT is on back order
I'll have to wait, its great i have no plans riding this coming week

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could be. One of the things we've heard of regarding the FZ6. Some folk replace the the auto adjusting CCT with a manual type adjuster. What ever you do get everything at TDC if replacement is needed so nobody kisses a piston.
I'm considering using manual CCT
Ive used one on small bikes the only problem i see is how hard it is on the guides

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles are on your bike? It’s possible that the cam chain is stretched and by adding a M-CCT you will just accelerate the failure of the cam chain. Make sure you are correcting the problem and not the symptom.

You can check for cam chain stretch by placing the crank at TDC and then check the timing marks on the cams. If the cam marks are more than a few degrees off (they won’t be perfect - the bike has miles on it) it’s an indication that the cam chain is stretched.

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles are on your bike? It’s possible that the cam chain is stretched and by adding a M-CCT you will just accelerate the failure of the cam chain. Make sure you are correcting the problem and not the symptom.

You can check for cam chain stretch by placing the crank at TDC and then check the timing marks on the cams. If the cam marks are more than a few degrees off (they won’t be perfect - the bike has miles on it) it’s an indication that the cam chain is stretched.
The bike is at 107k kilometers around 66k miles
Ive replaced the old timing chain aswell as the guides when i did the engine rebuild, how ever i did not touch the tensioner
As per M-CCT i understand the risk thats why im aiming for the A-CCT but its on back order i'll have to wait for weeks if not months
Do by any chance the later models fz6r cct work?

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't hear anything, and wouldn't expect to, with it fully extended...
Fully extended or not there still play like that
I installed the mcct slightly seated to the guides as the engine run i slowly tightened the mcct until clunking noise is gone,
I restarted the bike over and over and the noise is gone.