CBR600 Help! Electrical problem.

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone! My good friend who I ride with is having some issues. I told him that there is a lot of very informed people in my forum and I'd ask for him. This is what he described:

"
Here's the breakdown:
The bike was starting and running properly when I left it under a covered overhang last Friday. Over the weekend it didn't get used, and we had several large storms that brought a lot of humidity through to Monday. Monday morning I went to start it up and there was condensation/wetness covering the entire bike, as well as parts that were covered by fairings. When I unlocked the forks and turned on the fuel injection, all the indicator lights were illuminated (headlight, both turn signals, neutral light, oil light, display). After flipping the headlight and turn signals on and off, they acted normally and weren't lit up when they weren't being used. The ignition button works (ie. when it's pressed, the headlight dims meaning power is getting to it and it's not a broken switch) and the fuel injection activates, but the oil warning light stays on, the neutral light doesn't come on when in neutral, and the bike won't start. My guess is the condensation messed up a fuse/connection somewhere, but that doesn't explain why the neutral light won't come on (I can't start it out of neutral).

Thanks for any help
2003 Honda cbr600rr
"
END QUOTE

Thanks for any help!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Start with the simple stuff..... is the side stand switch acting up? If it won't indicate it's in neutral, it should still start with the sidestand up and the clutch in. How's the clutch micros switch.

If it's a 2003, that's 7 possible years of munge building up on the microswitches. They'll usually stick in the wrong position with that much time on them.

Find each idiot switch (clutch, side stand, and if possible the wiring leading into the cases for the neutral switch) and soak the microswitch with WD-40 and cyccle the plunger in and out by hand until it moves freely.

Then check and see what happens. Report back and we'll go from there.