CBR 1100XX Clipons help

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of CBR 1100XX clipons in the mail to me and I wanted to get some more information or tips on how to do this mod. What what I've heard it can be rather difficult. I've searched this forum, only one I use for my FZ6, and I cannot really find any guides or tips on how to do this mod.:Flash:

In the mean time I did the back tilted stock bar mod and its mainly what has inspired me to do ahead with this clipons I love the new position and really think i would like the lower position with clipons.

Any tips/guides words of advice for this mod would be appreciated!

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Serious no help? I thought for sure with the wealth of information here that someone would have spoken up by now!:confused:

Oh well, time to wait some more....

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
THANK YOU for posting this. I am getting ready to buy a set but I can't until I KNOW they will work. I feel like every time I reply to a thread it is just ignored or I get something that doesn't answer the actual question.

I want to put them on a 2005 with STOCK plastics. It's not a streetfighter, everything is stock in terms of fairings/plastics. Will the clipons work? Will they hit the plastics that are up front to the right and left of the handlebars? Everybody I have seen with them on here seems to have removed those plastics. I don't see how they will fit over them without cutting into them. Can I PLEASE get answer? I would really like to buy them before they are unavailable... Also, I'd like to put them below the triple. Can I only do it above without removing plastics? Somebody please help :(

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a couple issues with CBR11xx clip-ons...

First, the way that the stock FZ6 triple is made prevents you from using the CBR11xx bars underneath at anything but a serious rearward angle. If you look at the clamping bolts on the FZ6 triple, you will notice they stick out from the top of the triple, right where the CBR11xx bars would need to sit, and there is not enough relief in the bars to allow for this.

Second, with the stock faring up front, I don't think you could get the bars under the triple (even if it were possible) and clear the faring itself. I haven't attempted it this way myself (my farings were gone..) but I don't see there really being enough room.

Options are:

Lower your triple (change your geometry as well) and put the CBR11xx bars on top... I tried this and it was a very disconcerting ride for me.

Get some higher rise bars (I'm unsure of any outside of Convertibars and HELIbars) to clear everything nicely.

Fork cap extenders.. would allow for the CBR11xx bars to go on top of the triple, while lowering the triple less overall, 10 or 12 mm likely. Something would have to be custom made and a use-at-your-own risk would be implied.

I'm sure there are others here with an opinion who have attempted this, but I really found the CBR11xx bars to not be a viable option with the stock forks, with or without the faring.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
There's a couple issues with CBR11xx clip-ons...

First, the way that the stock FZ6 triple is made prevents you from using the CBR11xx bars underneath at anything but a serious rearward angle. If you look at the clamping bolts on the FZ6 triple, you will notice they stick out from the top of the triple, right where the CBR11xx bars would need to sit, and there is not enough relief in the bars to allow for this.

Second, with the stock faring up front, I don't think you could get the bars under the triple (even if it were possible) and clear the faring itself. I haven't attempted it this way myself (my farings were gone..) but I don't see there really being enough room.

Options are:

Lower your triple (change your geometry as well) and put the CBR11xx bars on top... I tried this and it was a very disconcerting ride for me.

Get some higher rise bars (I'm unsure of any outside of Convertibars and HELIbars) to clear everything nicely.

Fork cap extenders.. would allow for the CBR11xx bars to go on top of the triple, while lowering the triple less overall, 10 or 12 mm likely. Something would have to be custom made and a use-at-your-own risk would be implied.

I'm sure there are others here with an opinion who have attempted this, but I really found the CBR11xx bars to not be a viable option with the stock forks, with or without the faring.

Thank you for your reply. I really love the look of clipons but I am happy that I know it will be more hassle than it is worth. What is your opinion on Clubman bars? I was just going to get a cheap $30 non-adjustable bar and rotate it until I get the feel I like. Would that deliver relatively the same sporty feel? I'm 6'3 so I like to lean down a bit so the wind isn't blasting me full-force in the torso, plus I find it more comfortable, plus it makes me feel cooler :(

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
i want to at least attempt this, any help from others that did it? I know some people don't like it and considering that most people are sport tourers here i wouldn't expect anything else.

Maybe some good pics or tips that helps you install this...I don't know if id keep it but i want to at least be able to try it for myself and see how i feel about them.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
i want to at least attempt this, any help from others that did it? I know some people don't like it and considering that most people are sport tourers here i wouldn't expect anything else.

Maybe some good pics or tips that helps you install this...I don't know if id keep it but i want to at least be able to try it for myself and see how i feel about them.

BUMP!

seems like some riser type clip ons is the only way to go with a faired fz6??