Castrol 6 Hour

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Hands up who is old enough to remember the Castrol 6 Hour?

Those of you who do remember it will know it was staged at Amaroo Park for many years & then moved to Oran Park when Amaroo closed.

True production class racing at its best. A race on stock standard road bikes to see who can complete the most laps in 6 hours :rockon:

Well I have it on good authority that the 6 Hour will return to Oran Park in November. Kind of a wave goodbye before OP closes its gates for the last time.

At this stage it will limited to 1000cc bikes. Only mods allowed are gearing changes & a set of race glass.

I hope the guys who live outside of NSW will make the trip & say goodbye to a piece of Australian racing history. Will be a great weekend no doubt & will provide some top shelf racing.

Anyone wanna take a punt & predict a winning bike?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Those of you who do remember it will know it was staged at Amaroo Park for many years & then moved to Oran Park when Amaroo closed.

True production class racing at its best. A race on stock standard road bikes to see who can complete the most laps in 6 hours :rockon:

Well I have it on good authority that the 6 Hour will return to Oran Park in November. Kind of a wave goodbye before OP closes its gates for the last time.

At this stage it will limited to 1000cc bikes. Only mods allowed are gearing changes & a set of race glass.

I hope the guys who live outside of NSW will make the trip & say goodbye to a piece of Australian racing history. Will be a great weekend no doubt & will provide some top shelf racing.

I am old enough to remember....just! The Winner...Wally Campbell on a Honda! Just Joking.....Glen Allerton on a CBR!

Wouldnt mind riding across to see this...would be a great weekend.

:rockon:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wally Cambell ! the best racer to come out of Tasmania.I remember a race in the wet against Wayne Gardner (the year before he went to GP's).Gardner had won every race for the season and stood to claim a cash bonus if he won them all,They were flat out neck and neck ,bumping bikes and bodies in the wet and Campbell beat him,fantastic stuff :cheer:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wally Cambell ! the best racer to come out of Tasmania.I remember a race in the wet against Wayne Gardner (the year before he went to GP's).Gardner had won every race for the season and stood to claim a cash bonus if he won them all,They were flat out neck and neck ,bumping bikes and bodies in the wet and Campbell beat him,fantastic stuff :cheer:

I have that race on tape! ABC2 played it abut 2 years ag.....very late at night....a classic!

:rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked all over you tube for it to no avail :(

The ABC obvioiusly still has it....give em a call, they may do a copy for ya on DVD......the VHS cpy i have is crap.....used a tape that had been taped on about a thousand times!

:eek:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember attending the last one at Oran park in 87ish i think it was , WOW thats bought back awesome memories......Think from memory it was my 1st taste of motorbike racing , i do vaguely remember Kevin Magee was the winner :confused:, dont quote me on it though as i was only 10 or 11 years old :D........I miss Amaroo raceway , holds fond memories for me as thats where i did my CAMS licence and Flag Marshalls accreditation , flaggied the last race meeting there , was on the flag point the day Brad Jones clipped Mike Fitzgerald heading up the hill.......I found the vid of that incedent and right at the point where they clip stands Mr Humpy :thumbup:..... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv3tNi9UYaI]YouTube - ATCC Fitzgerald Huge Crash Amaroo Park 1997[/ame]

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site

I have no excuse,I only live 10km from oran pk :rolleyes:

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site

Im pretty sure that was the Swann Insurance series. Note the on board cam on Gardners bike.
This was the final round at Surfers Paradise. Not the best version of the race but its the only one I could find :thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug8_EGpmcyQ]YouTube - wayne gardner 1985 swann series[/ame]

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else heading out tomorrow?

I will be riding down from Newcastle taking the Old Rd on my way down & probably on the way home as well.

Gonna be a top days racing.
Bloody hot tho. Weather man says it will be 40 deg on Sunday. Imagine a 6 hour race dressed from head to toe in leather :eek: